Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm in need of some help. I recently had to send my phantom 3 professional into drone nerds for repair after a minor crash. The fella at the shop said nothing was actually wrong with the unit, he just had to reset the case because of some separation in the body seams.

Anyway, since I've got it back I've noticed a pretty horrible horizon/gimbal tilt issue every time I start up the Phantom. I have completed 2 different IMU calibrations and a multitude of gimbal auto calibrations and I've been able to get the camera level, or very close to level with these routines. My problem arises when I shut the Phantom off and then turn it back on. When I turn it back on, my gimbal always defaults to being horribly tilted.

I have had some success by auto calibrating the gimbal then repeatedly pressing C1 to alternate the camera between both extremes tilts. This resulted in a level to fairly level flight until last 30% of the flight.

I'm pretty confused, so I thought I'd ask for some help. Thanks in advance!!!

This is an ongoing problem for me as well though not as severe. I usually start my flights by turning on gridlines and with a level in front of the camera I correct the gimbal tilt in the app. It only lasts for that flight but it's become part of my setup routine.

This is an ongoing problem for me as well though not as severe. I usually start my flights by turning on gridlines and with a level in front of the camera I correct the gimbal tilt in the app. It only lasts for that flight but it's become part of my setup routine.
This may be a little easier-- fly up high enough to see a narrow band of the horizon and make the adjustment there-- only takes seconds

Take some photos of the gimbal and camera and post it here. I think your gimbal is slightly bent and throwing your yaw off a few degrees. Simple check can be just looking at where the camera points when the phantom is sitting on a surface that is levelled with the horizon. If its looking a little to the right or left, then your gimbal could be bent.

Last edited:
You know what, I think I remember the guy from drone nerds saying that the gimbal was bent just slightly now that you mentioned it. I put together this video which outlines my procedures and results. I'll take some photos and post them here as well. Thanks!
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

So I think Mako79 was right, here's a picture of the gimbal when it's just sitting on a level surface. I pushed the gimbal the other way to see if it would sit level but it keeps returning to this position. Any ideas where it's bent or how to find and fix it?

W5gSWft.jpg

I took some more photos, and I'm really having trouble finding where my gimbal is bent. I'm not at all saying that it isn't bent, its just not incredibly obvious to my eyes. Maybe others will see? Also, as you can tell from a couple of pictures, the gimbal will in fact hold a level position if I position it correctly. I'm still fairly confused

tb4qFOc.jpg

33Sc9vw.jpg

1z1UZhK.jpg

PNcFgK5.jpg

I took some more photos, and I'm really having trouble finding where my gimbal is bent. I'm not at all saying that it isn't bent, its just not incredibly obvious to my eyes. Maybe others will see? Also, as you can tell from a couple of pictures, the gimbal will in fact hold a level position if I position it correctly. I'm still fairly confused

tb4qFOc.jpg

33Sc9vw.jpg

1z1UZhK.jpg

PNcFgK5.jpg
Send @hunch a PM and have him look at these images-- he may be able to help you.

UPDATE: I figured out whats up! It also may be of some use for everyone else, so I wanted to share.
The video below shows the yaw arm motor shaft not being aligned with the top of the camera. This was my problem, and may be some other people's problems too. I aligned the shaft with the camera and everything is great now!

UPDATE: I figured out whats up! It also may be of some use for everyone else, so I wanted to share.
The video below shows the yaw arm motor shaft not being aligned with the top of the camera. This was my problem, and may be some other people's problems too. I aligned the shaft with the camera and everything is great now!

I had this problem too. Aligning the flat spot of the shaft to 12 o'clock position when the camera was level corrected the problem for me.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic