oops! Flashed p3p camera with p3s firmware.

Reaction score
I recently put a new camera and gimbal on my p3p and was prompted to update the firmware. I was reluctant to do this given that everything was working properly so I delayed doing this. Everything was fine until I changed the sd card had a firmware file for a p3s and upon powering up the p3p it opened the bin file and flashed the camera with the p3s firmware.
The results of this was a garbled image on the display. So I tried to update the firmware with the latest p3p bin file which made the image on the display better but not right. Any suggestions?

Are you certain it was P3S firmware? Sometimes it hard to tell the difference between the P3S and the P3A, due to the "S" extention in the file name.

Reactions: JoBe
Are you certain it was P3S firmware? Sometimes it hard to tell the difference between the P3S and the P3A, due to the "S" extention in the file name.
Yes, I had used this sd card a few weeks earlier to flash a p3s and forgot that the bin file was on the card.

Please share the text file generated on the SD card.

Reactions: JoBe
the sd card was formatted but the text file stated the update was successful.
I note that you say that a successful update was indicated. However, it might still be useful if folks here could have a look at the file.

If you haven't written anything to the formatted card, you might still be able to recover all or, even if you have partially written to it, some of the data, as per this thread here:-

Erased all pic/video

Bin files that start with:
P3S is for P3 advanced,
P3X is for P3 Proffesional and
P3C is for P3 standard.
So you flashed it with bin file for P3 advanced. If you had bin for a P3 standard on The micro sd card and put it in the P3A or P3P it wouldn’t do anything.
Also, if you need to start from scratch and rewrite the P3P FW for the whole thing let me know and I’ll send you a debug file which erases the whole thing and rewrites the firmware of your choice.

To Steve 7777: The card has been written to with the P3X 1.11.20 bin file and a few test videos. I reflashed the copter with this bin file and I have the log file from that session. At work now and will post the file tomorrow.
To Hunch: I wondered why it would open a bin file for a standard in the first place. I was mistaken about the file names to begin with. I would much appreciate the debug file if you would care to send it.

To Steve 7777: The card has been written to with the P3X 1.11.20 bin file and a few test videos. I reflashed the copter with this bin file and I have the log file from that session. At work now and will post the file tomorrow.
To Hunch: I wondered why it would open a bin file for a standard in the first place. I was mistaken about the file names to begin with. I would much appreciate the debug file if you would care to send it.
Pm me your email address.
Put the debug file and the bin file in the root of the MicroSD card and insert the card in the gimbal and turn on the phantom.
Make sure you have a house floor fan blowing at the Phantom’s gimbal direction at full speed the whole time while updating the firmware. When you’re doing it with the debug file it will take twice as long because it will erase the whole thing first.
If there is no airflow to the gimbal it may overheat and burnout.

Reactions: Phantom2USA
guys,
some of you wanted a debug file for a re-write of the P3 firmware.
when you PM me, also let me know what P3 bird it is. Standard, Adv or Pro?
the three debug files are different.
thanks

This video explains how to create the debug file (though don't watch the rest of it, it's against forum rules!):

I changed the sd card had a firmware file for a p3s and upon powering up the p3p it opened the bin file and flashed the camera with the p3s firmware.

this is not even possible to happen is it? a pro accepting a standards firmware? no way amirite? experts chime in plz.

this is not even possible to happen is it? a pro accepting a standards firmware? no way amirite? experts chime in plz.

That's a very good question. Let's do a test:

Code:
$ strings P3X_FW_V01.07.0060_m0100_part_sys.a9s | grep -i "p3._fw_.*[.]bin"
P3X_FW_V99.99.9999.bin
P3X_FW_V??.??.????.bin
P3X_FW_V%d.%d.%d.bin
P3X_FW_V??.??.????_????.bin
P3X_FW_V%d.%d.%d_*[^.].bin

Conclusion: Phantom 3 Pro firmware v01.07.0060 will only allow update from a file which starts with "P3X_FW_V". It will not accept P3S nor P3C firmwares, unless maliciously renamed.

It's a different story when updating single component from a file in this list:
Flashing firmware via SD card · mefistotelis/phantom-firmware-tools Wiki · GitHub

These file names work for every Phantom 3. But I'd assume someone who updates single modules knows what he/she is doing, so that's probably not related to this case.

EDIT: Also, shorting Ph3 Std to P3S is just wrecking confusion, please avoid that. The code name is P3C.

That's a very good question. Let's do a test:

Code:
$ strings P3X_FW_V01.07.0060_m0100_part_sys.a9s | grep -i "p3._fw_.*[.]bin"
P3X_FW_V99.99.9999.bin
P3X_FW_V??.??.????.bin
P3X_FW_V%d.%d.%d.bin
P3X_FW_V??.??.????_????.bin
P3X_FW_V%d.%d.%d_*[^.].bin

Conclusion: Phantom 3 Pro firmware v01.07.0060 will only allow update from a file which starts with "P3X_FW_V". It will not accept P3S nor P3C firmwares, unless maliciously renamed.

It's a different story when updating single component from a file in this list:
Flashing firmware via SD card · mefistotelis/phantom-firmware-tools Wiki · GitHub

These file names work for every Phantom 3. But I'd assume someone who updates single modules knows what he/she is doing, so that's probably not related to this case.

EDIT: Also, shorting Ph3 Std to P3S is just wrecking confusion, please avoid that. The code name is P3C.
i figured it was not possible for a pro to accepy firmware from a standard. thnx for confirming.

ummm, what? was this one meant for someone else? what does this mean?

Ha, would be best if everyone would follow that. But it doesn't going to happen, does it?

What I mean is P3S is not Phantom 3 Standard:
Abbreviations · mefistotelis/phantom-firmware-tools Wiki · GitHub
okay. i guess thats interesting but still dont know why you told me. anyway,, prolly since 88000 members here on the forum already use P3S, P3A, and P3P they are not gonna change for one guy on github. just saying i agree with you that its not going to happen.

Reactions: quaddamage
Yes members here use P3S, P3A, P3P etc but DJI wrote the firmware names. (P3 standard firmware is written P3C) mefistotelis (That 1 guy) has it right. He knows his stuff. It is thanks to him and a few others, we have been able to dissect all these firmwares and make changes.

Reactions: Brother Dave

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj