The professional filter set for the Phantom 3

@Jeff48920 Can you try to insert a ND + GR, can you adjust the GR level with the horizon when you screw the barrel completely ?
Absolutely. This is exactly what the barrel was designed to do and solves the problems I had with every other glass GR solution.
First you place the appropriate ND in the first position (the non-adjustable position nearest the lens) then you put the proper GR filter in the second slot. Then you rotate the GR filter in the slot until the GR midline is level with the horizon. Finally you hold the GR in place with a finger while you screw in the outer ring (or CPL if you need it). It takes a few times to feel comfortable but after a bit it is a piece of cake. Great design.

Thanks for sharing-- this is the only thing I would like to see -- se the filters can stay on in the case--

"At this point I am still working on a method to allow the barrel to remain on the camera and still lock the gimbal and fit in my cases. "
Give us an update it you determine this. cheers

I have just started to design a GimbalClamp with interchangeable rubberized (Ninjaflex) centers for use with both the barrel and CPL configurations. I will also attempt to have these fit in both the Tradecraft and DJI hardshell backpacks with either no or minimal alteration to the case.
I expect to be able to get something workable in the next few weeks. I'll keep you informed.

If I can do this I will make them available for sale in the spirit of Rainbowers' tradition and charge only my costs of design and production spread over 50 sets. The set would include an ABS shell and two different sizes (and colors) of inserts. If it works as expected I should be able to sell these for no more than $10 plus $5 shipping worldwide. Keep your fingers crossed

I have just started to design a GimbalClamp with interchangeable rubberized (Ninjaflex) centers for use with both the barrel and CPL configurations. I will also attempt to have these fit in both the Tradecraft and DJI hardshell backpacks with either no or minimal alteration to the case.
I expect to be able to get something workable in the next few weeks. I'll keep you informed.

If I can do this I will make them available for sale in the spirit of Rainbowers' tradition and charge only my costs of design and production spread over 50 sets. The set would include an ABS shell and two different sizes (and colors) of inserts. If it works as expected I should be able to sell these for no more than $10 plus $5 shipping worldwide. Keep your fingers crossed
If you do it, sign me up for one.

Sounds great. Really needed - If it works to your satisfaction I'll be appreciating a set. All the best.
I absolutely second that Following statement from Rainbowers. This is a worthy tradition all who understand deeply appreciate. In sharing our strengths, we aknowledge our inherent unity. I'm very glad that in your considerations, you find this, the most approprate way to proceed. Good on ya bro'. 'Don't force it - if it doesn't work out,...' LOL

Last edited:

Super, that is the right spirit in the club !

Reactions: QaaUz
the vignetting is due to having 3 filters stacked on top of each other. The CPL is the culprit though this issue was known when i bought the set so no worries.

If its really an issue you could shoot everything in 4k and crop the vingette out before transcoding to a lower resolution

I'm really considering ordering one of these sets, but I'm still curious about the vignette on that video. So if I were to only use the CPL and one of the ND filters, there won't be any vignette going on? (I'm completely new to video and filters, but trying to learn as quickly as possible. :))

Reactions: Rainbowers
Yesterday we called factory for extra stock. For the moment no problems, shipping worldwide is normally 3 days.

I also live in China... if I purchase a set would they be shipped via DHL or could you just ship them via one of the 快递 kuaidi services? I've never seen DHL trucks driving around the small city that I'm in, and kuaidi is likely much cheaper than shipping with DHL.

Where are you at in China? I'm near Zhengzhou in Henan Province.

I'm really considering ordering one of these sets, but I'm still curious about the vignette on that video. So if I were to only use the CPL and one of the ND filters, there won't be any vignette going on? (I'm completely new to video and filters, but trying to learn as quickly as possible. :))
I'll shoot some video with an ND 16 and CPL tomorrow. I haven't used the CPL/ND combination yet so I want to know also. I'll shoot in 1080 and 4K to test.
Otherwise I am really loving this set of filters.

The very small vignet in 16:9 mode is only because the CPL frame diameter is calculated very limit to the border. In 4:3 (photo) you have more, but of course easy to crop in post. It is showed at the end of my video and has nothing to do with stacking more filters.
4_3.png 16_9.png

Reactions: Jeff48920
I also live in China... if I purchase a set would they be shipped via DHL or could you just ship them via one of the 快递 kuaidi services? I've never seen DHL trucks driving around the small city that I'm in, and kuaidi is likely much cheaper than shipping with DHL.

Where are you at in China? I'm near Zhengzhou in Henan Province.
In China we ship from Qingdao with SF (1 day delivery) and of course it will be no USD28 for shipping but RMB 25 (USD4)

Thanks! I look forward to seeing if there's any vignette on there.
Here are the 1080 video tests with the Polarization engaged and not. They are shot with the CPL over the ND 16 on the barrel. The 4K is giving me some trouble uploading. I'll keep trying but, in any case,the vignetting is significantly more noticeable and similar to what Rainbowers already posted. I still see nothing that would keep me from purchasing the set again. Great glass with solid performance.

Edit.
Well crap. I can't upload that video either. I'll upload to Youtube later and send a link.

Reactions: 24pfilms

For those interested in a video sample of the vignetting, it will be available at Youtube as soon as Youtube finishes the processing.
Because the interest was in the vignetting and not in the glass quality I did not use super high quality so the video is somewhat compressed. Hope this helps. As you can see from the cropped 4K video (which was cropped from the video just before it) the vignetting provides very little to worry about. I still believe this is the most useful and highest quality set of filters I have bought and I have purchased filters from 3 different vendors besides Rainbowers.

Last edited:
Guess what came a day early!!!!!

View attachment 33347
View attachment 33348

Had to be adaptive in order to get the gimbal balanced. The new zinc weights are larger than the ones in the video so, to clear the ribbon cable and still balance properly the weights on the back of the camera had to be repositioned. The 10g goes where 10g and 5g both used to go and one 5g goes on the bottom of the camera in the center.
View attachment 33349
The last 5g goes on the side as shown in the video
View attachment 33350

The balance doesn't get much better than this and is good with two filters in place.
View attachment 33351

With one filter and the CPL the balance is closer to OEM which means the camera tips forward slightly.

I cannot use my Polar Pro filters or my OEM UV filter without the gimbal pulling up and to the right when looking at it from behind.

The Polar Pro gimbal holder I mentioned earlier fits over the lens cap that comes with the set.

View attachment 33353

At this point I am still working on a method to allow the barrel to remain on the camera and still lock the gimbal and fit in my cases.

The fit and finish is excellent and the glass itself seems to be professional quality.

There was some earlier concerns about whether the barrel would interfere with the ground as the gimbal initializes. In 5 initializations, I experienced no interference.

I also experienced no interference between the barrel and the UAVbits camera guard. I expected there would be some big issues but there were none.

I do expect interference when using the CPL filter but have not had the time to look into that yet.

Kind of a cloudy day here but I did shoot a little video in LOG at 1080/30. I had no problem setting the camera to 60 with the ND 16 installed.

So far I am a very happy camper. I will try to upload some raw footage later tonight.

@Jeff48920 Thanks for your instructions and photos. I also was unable to figure out a way to stack the 5g on top of the 10g without interfering with the ribbon cable. I ended up putting my 5g on the bottom like Jeff did, and the other 5 on the side of the gimbal. Works like a charm. Great balance and no problems with gimbal overheating.

I just took my first shots and am very pleased with the construction and quality of the glass. It really is an ingenious method to stack filters and allow for rotation of the grad. Kudos to @Rainbowers! If I had my preference, there would be a 4 grad and an 8 grad. I find the 4 isn't enough for my tastes to balance out areas that might be a little shady in the foreground. I don't know if it's an option to be produced, but I would use it. I'm not sure I'll ever choose the 2 grad, just seems too weak to be useful for almost any situation I shoot in.

Magic hour is also a bit tough to manage, since the light changes so fast. But that's not a problem with the filters. Just need to find the right balance to start with and know exactly what time to remove the bottom filter but leave a grad. Haven't tried the CPL yet, I doubt I'll use it as much as the ND combinations.

I'm still in the field, but I'll post some samples after I get a chance to grade the footage.

Bottom line, buy with confidence. Cheaper than the Polar Pro with tons more versatility.

-Added Note-

I should add, shipping from China was super fast. Unless you need it tomorrow, you'll be pleased. The wooden box and packaging is also nice, but I am in the market for a more compact portable solution. It takes up quite a bit of space in my kit right now, relative to the size of the filters.

Last edited:
For those interested in a video sample of the vignetting, it will be available at Youtube as soon as Youtube finishes the processing.
Because the interest was in the vignetting and not in the glass quality I did not use super high quality so the video is somewhat compressed. Hope this helps. As you can see from the cropped 4K video (which was cropped from the video just before it) the vignetting provides very little to worry about. I still believe this is the most useful and highest quality set of filters I have bought and I have purchased filters from 3 different vendors besides Rainbowers.

Jeff48920,
Can you please post few pictures of how you have added the weights? Are you using all the weights?

Jeff48920,
Can you please post few pictures of how you have added the weights? Are you using all the weights?
Hi
Jump back to post #149 in this thread for my pictures and descriptions of placement of the Zinc weights. I use 1-10gram weight and 2-5 gram weights

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlr11164