The professional filter set for the Phantom 3

Would it be possible to buy an extra barrel+o-ring and cpl?

The reason i ask is that used mine for the first time this morning. Great sun rise over the archipelago and -6 degrees. Some lightmist at the surface and the horizon was at fire. It was one of those moments that last for maybe 5-10 minutes.

Set the copter up with the cpl and nd16 and got airborn. I realized after a minute or so that i needed the nd32 to push down the ISO while still maintaining a 2/1 ratio beteende ss and fps.

I landed and unscrew the filter and started to swap for the ND32. It took a minute to do that safely in the cold weather. If i had two barrels and 2cpl i would have had one setup in backup which would have reduced the time to swap.

I lost maybe 20% of the uptime in this particular scenery.

Love the quality btw.
Can really feel that morning bro

Does anyone know the recommended "cleaning" procedures for these multicoated filters. I'm guessing lens papers rather than microfiber cloths. Any experience with "Lenspens" --- Good --bad?

Would it be possible to buy an extra barrel+o-ring and cpl?

The reason i ask is that used mine for the first time this morning. Great sun rise over the archipelago and -6 degrees. Some lightmist at the surface and the horizon was at fire. It was one of those moments that last for maybe 5-10 minutes.

Set the copter up with the cpl and nd16 and got airborn. I realized after a minute or so that i needed the nd32 to push down the ISO while still maintaining a 2/1 ratio beteende ss and fps.

I landed and unscrew the filter and started to swap for the ND32. It took a minute to do that safely in the cold weather. If i had two barrels and 2cpl i would have had one setup in backup which would have reduced the time to swap.

I lost maybe 20% of the uptime in this particular scenery.

Love the quality btw.
All is possible.... but think about shipping price. Barrel+ring+CPL = USD 26 + shipping USD 28

Last edited:
Big yellow van pulled up to my house this morning, just in time for my trip to shoot fall colors in Missouri. Can't wait to try them out!
Where are you heading in Missouri? Keep us posted on your experience with the set. I am chomping at the bit to get mine which should be tomorrow.

Reactions: Rainbowers
I just received my set today. Sunshine colorfull day, here in Europe. But I did not have a time to test it. But set is great and I am happy to have it. Thank you

Reactions: Jeff48920
Guess what came a day early!!!!!

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1444684756.080085.jpg

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1444684781.387511.jpg

Had to be adaptive in order to get the gimbal balanced. The new zinc weights are larger than the ones in the video so, to clear the ribbon cable and still balance properly the weights on the back of the camera had to be repositioned. The 10g goes where 10g and 5g both used to go and one 5g goes on the bottom of the camera in the center.
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1444684927.977741.jpg

The last 5g goes on the side as shown in the video
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1444685048.467663.jpg

The balance doesn't get much better than this and is good with two filters in place.
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1444685110.813959.jpg

With one filter and the CPL the balance is closer to OEM which means the camera tips forward slightly.

I cannot use my Polar Pro filters or my OEM UV filter without the gimbal pulling up and to the right when looking at it from behind.

The Polar Pro gimbal holder I mentioned earlier fits over the lens cap that comes with the set.

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1444685371.052325.jpg

At this point I am still working on a method to allow the barrel to remain on the camera and still lock the gimbal and fit in my cases.

The fit and finish is excellent and the glass itself seems to be professional quality.

There was some earlier concerns about whether the barrel would interfere with the ground as the gimbal initializes. In 5 initializations, I experienced no interference.

I also experienced no interference between the barrel and the UAVbits camera guard. I expected there would be some big issues but there were none.

I do expect interference when using the CPL filter but have not had the time to look into that yet.

Kind of a cloudy day here but I did shoot a little video in LOG at 1080/30. I had no problem setting the camera to 60 with the ND 16 installed.

So far I am a very happy camper. I will try to upload some raw footage later tonight.

View attachment 33347
View attachment 33348

Had to be adaptive in order to get the gimbal balanced. The new zinc weights are larger than the ones in the video so, to clear the ribbon cable and still balance properly the weights on the back of the camera had to be repositioned. The 10g goes where 10g and 5g both used to go and one 5g goes on the bottom of the camera in the center.
View attachment 33349
View attachment 33350

The balance doesn't get much better than this and is good with two filters in place.
View attachment 33351

With one filter and the CPL the balance is closer to OEM which means the camera tips forward slightly.

I cannot use my Polar Pro filters or my OEM UV filter without the gimbal pulling up and to the right when looking at it from behind.

The Polar Pro gimbal holder I mentioned earlier fits over the lens cap that comes with the set.

View attachment 33353

At this point I am still working on a method to allow the barrel to remain on the camera and still lock the gimbal and fit in my cases.

The fit and finish is excellent and the glass itself seems to be professional quality.

There was some earlier concerns about whether the barrel would interfere with the ground as the gimbal initializes. In 5 initializations, I experienced no interference.

I also experienced no interference between the barrel and the UAVbits camera guard. I expected there would be some big issues but there were none.

I do expect interference when using the CPL filter but have not had the time to look into that yet.

Kind of a cloudy day here but I did shoot a little video in LOG at 1080/30. I had no problem setting the camera to 60 with the ND 16 installed.

So far I am a very happy camper. I will try to upload some raw footage later tonight.
Great, you should be a perfect beta-tester !
Indeed on the video I used lead, because of environment we changed in zinc. I propose to position the 5 gr on the 10gr. It should not disturb the ribbon cable. I tried with iron (same size) and it worked perfectly. Also because of possible magnetic interference of iron we changed to zinc.

Last edited:
Reactions: numbphoto
I own filters from polarpro(quite good), phantomfilters(so-so) and dji nd16(excellent)filter

This filter set is a photographer and videographers dream. It's exactly like those filter holders that Lee Filters make for photographers.

If this does get manufactured in large quantities I would definitely get myself a set!

I have the DJI filter set (4/8/16) now I'm trying to find a small filter pouch to store the filters. When I check Amazon, etc the pouches are all for full size cameras. I'd like something small enough to fit into a slot in the backpack....

Has anybody found anything?

Reactions: Rainbowers
I have the DJI filter set (4/8/16) now I'm trying to find a small filter pouch to store the filters. When I check Amazon, etc the pouches are all for full size cameras. I'd like something small enough to fit into a slot in the backpack....

Concerning Polarpro: yesterday I discovered where they are made in China as I was looking for a factory to produce something special for the X5 and picky about price/quality (a problem in China). Only one comment about not to hurt Polarpro: we have no margin and do this for pleasure, on the other hand they have a margin of about 500%. Make your conclusions.

@Rainbowers So to balance the gimbal, your recommendation is to put 15g at the back of the gimbal, stacking the 5g on top of the 10g and 5g on the side of the gimbal, is that correct ? can share how to tell if the gimbal is balance ?

@Rainbowers So to balance the gimbal, your recommendation is to put 15g at the back of the gimbal, stacking the 5g on top of the 10g and 5g on the side of the gimbal, is that correct ? can share how to tell if the gimbal is balance ?
Yes this is the way I tested it. We delivered some spare weights for trying out alternatives for experimental minded users. The 5 grams on the 10 grams has more effect as it is further of the axis. The gimbal is in balance when there is no strong fall in either direction. If it falls strongly towards a certain direction the gimbal motor has to compensate this permanently and will warm up. We tried to avoid this and had success with the suggested positions. Even with the stock barrel it is not perfect, so there is a little room. Our barrel with 2 filters and the right positioned weights gives a better balance as with the original set up. With the CPL and 1 filter it has to work a bit more to compensate. This is also a reason to stack the 5 gr on the 10 gr. Originally the camera tends to fall forward and to the left, we made it to fall slightly a bit backwards and to the right which gives more room for the CPL mounted.

Last edited:

View attachment 33347
View attachment 33348

View attachment 33349
View attachment 33350

View attachment 33351

View attachment 33353

Thanks for sharing-- this is the only thing I would like to see -- se the filters can stay on in the case--

"At this point I am still working on a method to allow the barrel to remain on the camera and still lock the gimbal and fit in my cases. "
Give us an update it you determine this. cheers

Very happy with the raw footage. Shot in LOG at 1080 30 fps. Shutter speed 60. Cloudy day and very hazy. 3pm central time. Absolutely no post production work. Here's a 1 minute sample of the video. Can't wait to try on a better day and do some post

I store my DJI filters in my polar pro pouch. It's perfect.

Very happy with the raw footage. Shot in LOG at 1080 30 fps. Shutter speed 60. Cloudy day and very hazy. 3pm central time. Absolutely no post production work. Here's a 1 minute sample of the video. Can't wait to try on a better day and do some post

Very nice, Jeff, thanks for sharing. Where were you shooting? It looks like your leaves still have a week or so before they hit peak color. Pretty area.

Very nice, Jeff, thanks for sharing. Where were you shooting? It looks like your leaves still have a week or so before they hit peak color. Pretty area.
Thanks Phil
I am shooting out my back door in Southern Illinois in the middle of the Shawnee National Forest. The area is known as the Little Grand Canyon Hiking Area. We are about 35 miles from Cape Girardeau Missouri which is why I asked where in Missouri you were shooting.
Yes the leaves should top out in about a week to 10 days. Hope you get some great shots in Missouri. I think you are simply going to love the flexibility and quality of the Rainbowers set.

Reactions: philputnam
Just received my set. Sadly the weather is to bad to fly, but the Quality looks very good.
Thnx for sharing this great piece of optics with us.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor