Reaction score
I'm completely torn. I keep reading such a variety of different user experiences with the P4P+ - some love it, some say they returned it because of the RC software/integrated tablet app glitching.

I guess my question is, is this a known issue? Or is it a handful of people complaining on the internet? I am in Canada and plan on buying from B&H, do they have a good exchange policy (for Canadians) if there are any issues?

Right now I don't have any device I could use with the standard P4P. I have a Google Pixel XL which I don't know if it will be supported. If I went with the standard P4P I would need to buy a tablet (that I would dedicate to being used as a screen, so no additional apps etc.)

I was thinking of the iPad Mini 2 since it seems that the DJI Go 4 app runs well in IOS (at least from what Ive read) but then I read other things about people saying the processing power of the Mini 2 isn't fast enough to stop significant lag / latency... and then I come back to looking at the P4P+ and wondering if its worth the "risk".

Need some convincing....help?

The P4P+ I had was flawless in operation, very stable, in fact I trusted it more than any controller/phone or tablet combination I've used. Screen was also very bright and clear (albeit only 5.5", no doubt to keep the P4P+ price point reasonable.) I also liked how easy it was to bring the system into operation: push one button and 13 seconds later you're ready to fly, no software to play with, no cables, etc. I eventually moved to a P4P solely due to the P4P+'s inability to run 3rd party software, but otherwise i really liked the P4P+ and even miss it in some ways, actually many ways. I think the integrated screen concept is great, where DJI stumbled is locking the unit down so tightly. It would also be nice to have an option for a larger screen but that would probably push the price to over $2k. Personally I had no problem with the 5.5" screen given its brightness and clarity, in some ways it was more usable than the larger tablet I am using now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bill S and Equidale
Here's a good review of the P4P+ remote controller:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: RyanK
It is simple, do you want to use any sort of app beyond DJI GO, if that answer is yes then P4P. If not, P4P+

Right now I'm not even thinking that far ahead, what with the suggestions of app instability / crashes / freezes etc. I've been reading about. I just want to know if this is a real quality control issue or if more often than not, users of the P4P+ have never had any real issues with it. It's less about "what can/cant the controller do" and more like "can it actually do what its supposed to do out of the box" haha.

Right now I'm not even thinking that far ahead, what with the suggestions of app instability / crashes / freezes etc. I've been reading about. I just want to know if this is a real quality control issue or if more often than not, users of the P4P+ have never had any real issues with it. It's less about "what can/cant the controller do" and more like "can it actually do what its supposed to do out of the box" haha.
I can't speak to what anyone else has experienced other than to note that reports of problems abound for every single DJI product ever made, in fact just about any piece of complex consumer electronics ever made, and if you believe them all then you'll essentially be left with an Etch A Sketch as the only safe option ;) I'm not doubting what anyone else says but there is apparently no core issue with the P4P+ as I and many other have had no problems at all.

I got you. I can tell you my P4P+ has worked flawlessly. It has been stable as a rock. The one knock I have is there is some editor program on the controller and it does not work. So don't get it with the hopes of editing together quick videos for social media. Not until they issue an update.

Reactions: Bill S
I can't speak to what anyone else has experienced other than to note that reports of problems abound for every single DJI product ever made, in fact just about any piece of complex consumer electronics ever made, and if you believe them all then you'll essentially be left with an Etch A Sketch as the only safe option ;) I'm not doubting what anyone else says but there is apparently no core issue with the P4P+ as I and many other have had no problems at all.

That made me laugh, and I completely agree. It's easy to get derailed by what you can find written online in the odd low star review on websites. I am a photographer and my main camera is the Canon 5D 3 which I have had since it launched, and remember in the early days people ranting about the light leak issue. It eventually was fixed and its still a great camera.

I got you. I can tell you my P4P+ has worked flawlessly. It has been stable as a rock. The one knock I have is there is some editor program on the controller and it does not work. So don't get it with the hopes of editing together quick videos for social media. Not until they issue an update.

Good to hear! I only plan on editing in Premiere on my computer, so that is not really an issue for me.

think ahead, trust me....

after a month or two, you wont feel that way... and will want the option to run other apps.....

Is there no chance that the opportunity for that to be unlocked could come in a future patch / update?

Is there no chance that the opportunity for that to be unlocked could come in a future patch / update?
It is possible but I wouldn't advise counting on it. But if it comes to it you always have the option of purchasing an additional controller (about $300) at a later date and using the P4P+ display for general use and the extra controller when you need to use a 3rd party app.

My own take on this issue is this: People who are long-time DJI customers tend to hate the P4P+ controller because they're used to using other apps on their device besides the DJI app to control the drone. People who are new to DJI tend to love the P4P+ controller because of the convenience.

P4Pro no doubt. The inconvenience of not having an attached screen is overwhelming overruled by the options given to run 3rd party apps, technically longer battery life for your remote as it doesn't have to power the screen, larger screen with any tablet you choose. It was a no brained for me.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I know exactly how u feel regarding the P4P vs P4P+. I actually had the P4P and returned to Best Buy with no issue and ordered the P4P+ online because I felt I was missing something. Now that I have the P4P+ I am experiencing the video glitch some have complained about and considering to go back to the P4P. Despite the glitch I am still happy with the purchase. My solution may involve a second controller just to satisfy my compulsive craving to have everything. If I could be patient I would get the P4P with the separate Crystal Sky screen. For that matter I still want Mavic Pro!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Over the years, I've had bad luck with combos like computer/monitor(like an iMac), TV/VCR, TV/VHS, etc because one of those components have malfunctioned at some point, causing the system to fail. At least DJI will remedy that under warranty.

Another point is the screen is too small for me since I like a screen of at least the size of an iPad Mini. That screen is relatively small in the first place, and then the bezel cuts the size even further.

The main reason of reasons I wouldn't go with the + is because I like 3rd party apps. I've flown so much in 9 months that I've become bored. Litchi waypoint missions have breathed new life into my drone hobby. Flying around my house has become BORING, but planning an executing those waypoint missions challenges my mind in addition to flying the drone itself. Also, who knows what's next out there...which is something the + can't look forward to.

Another, which may be a point or not, is battery life. Having to run a controller and an extra bright screen AND a cooling fan must eat up battery life.

Oh, and the price could be a factor, but if you have to get a separate device, you may not come out even anyway. My iPad Mini 4 cellular hopefully will last me in the years to come.

The + is perfect for the many out there where those points don't register, so it all comes down to personal preference to me.

The inconvenience of not having an attached screen is overwhelming overruled by the options given to run 3rd party apps, technically longer battery life for your remote as it doesn't have to power the screen, larger screen with any tablet you choose.
This a totally subjective judgment as not everyone wants to use 3rd party apps or even cares that they exist. And the 'technically' longer battery life if just that, in real world use the battery life of the P4P+ controller is more than sufficient for a full day's use, in fact I doubt there's any significant difference between the P4P and the P4P+ (tablets use power too of course.)

Clearly the P4P is better for you and that's fine, but all of these declarative statements about which is better are kind of silly as it depends entirely on the user.

I'm completely torn. I keep reading such a variety of different user experiences with the P4P+ - some love it, some say they returned it because of the RC software/integrated tablet app glitching.

I guess my question is, is this a known issue? Or is it a handful of people complaining on the internet? I am in Canada and plan on buying from B&H, do they have a good exchange policy (for Canadians) if there are any issues?

Right now I don't have any device I could use with the standard P4P. I have a Google Pixel XL which I don't know if it will be supported. If I went with the standard P4P I would need to buy a tablet (that I would dedicate to being used as a screen, so no additional apps etc.)

I was thinking of the iPad Mini 2 since it seems that the DJI Go 4 app runs well in IOS (at least from what Ive read) but then I read other things about people saying the processing power of the Mini 2 isn't fast enough to stop significant lag / latency... and then I come back to looking at the P4P+ and wondering if its worth the "risk".

Need some convincing....help?

I could be wrong but I seen many articles mentioning its hard to find a case that fits the P4P+ due to the screen built in not fitting in, if you plan on getting a hard case then maybe reconsider. But if your not then the handiness of not having to start the app and then connect up wire to tablet every time is good.

I just got the P4P and didnt even consider the + version because for the extra cost it is I could get a decent tablet with a bigger screen which I can also use for other things. If you think you will want a bigger screen at some stage dont get the + as you would be stuck with that size screen or if you drop it and it cracks (not that you will) it wouldnt be easy to replace.

It is possible but I wouldn't advise counting on it. But if it comes to it you always have the option of purchasing an additional controller (about $300) at a later date and using the P4P+ display for general use and the extra controller when you need to use a 3rd party app.

For some reason I was under the impression you could not use an alternate controller than the one that comes with the drone? If that's true, that is good to know if I do go with the + to know I'm not entirely locked in, in case of extreme failure...haha.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.