For those who do use tablets, what tablet do you use and why?

I'll watch this thread with interest, as I expect to face the same challenge soon! I'm also wanting it as a flying camera - I too shoot a 5D3 and the drone is just a way to get different shots.

One silly basic question I have which searching hasn't answered - apart from the controller, the actual aircraft is identical, right?

I wonder if the larger screen on an iPad would give me better composition opportunities? Although I seem to manage with the little screen on the back of the SLR!

As a flying camera, I'm unlikely to want third party apps - editing will be on laptop, and I'll never fly out of sight so don't need Litchi....

Good luck with the decision - either way you will get a great device!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I'll watch this thread with interest, as I expect to face the same challenge soon! I'm also wanting it as a flying camera - I too shoot a 5D3 and the drone is just a way to get different shots.

One silly basic question I have which searching hasn't answered - apart from the controller, the actual aircraft is identical, right?

I wonder if the larger screen on an iPad would give me better composition opportunities? Although I seem to manage with the little screen on the back of the SLR!

As a flying camera, I'm unlikely to want third party apps - editing will be on laptop, and I'll never fly out of sight so don't need Litchi....

Good luck with the decision - either way you will get a great device!

I'm also excited to see what sort of photo opportunities the new vantage point will allow me, though my primary goal is video with it, I am excited to get a birds eye view of my farm in a better resolution than Google Maps can provide (haha)

I'm leaning towards the iPad Mini 4. I could get a refurbished one for about the same price as the Mini 2 new. Composition wise I think I would appreciate the bigger screen. Third party apps are not a huge concern for me but the option to use them is also nice. I'd use a screen hood for it, and keep my eye on those new displays that DJI is said to release in the future, if I ever feel I want something brighter.

As for your question, yes the only difference between the P4P and the P4P+ is that the + has the controller with the integrated screen.

Last edited:
Reactions: KiwiBird
Hi;

I had the P4p+ and had nothing but trouble with the app. I didn't like the small screen (I'm 70 plus) and need as much real estate on the screen as I can get. I'm biased against Android for some reason (don't know why) but I just love Apple products for their stability.

I sent it back after trying to upgrade the firmware twice without success and bought the P4P and it's the best thing I did. I love it, I like the app and most of all I'm not stuck with what the android version offers and I can load whatever I want onto my iPad Mini 4. I felt trapped with the P4P+

I am very happy with my P4P

I too am in Canada, Ontario actually and bought mine from Amazon.ca with a 30 day no questions asked return policy. Fly it for thirty days and if you don't like it, send it back, and they pay shipping both ways. You can't beat that return policy.

Bud

I'm completely torn. I keep reading such a variety of different user experiences with the P4P+ - some love it, some say they returned it because of the RC software/integrated tablet app glitching.

I guess my question is, is this a known issue? Or is it a handful of people complaining on the internet? I am in Canada and plan on buying from B&H, do they have a good exchange policy (for Canadians) if there are any issues?

Right now I don't have any device I could use with the standard P4P. I have a Google Pixel XL which I don't know if it will be supported. If I went with the standard P4P I would need to buy a tablet (that I would dedicate to being used as a screen, so no additional apps etc.)

I was thinking of the iPad Mini 2 since it seems that the DJI Go 4 app runs well in IOS (at least from what Ive read) but then I read other things about people saying the processing power of the Mini 2 isn't fast enough to stop significant lag / latency... and then I come back to looking at the P4P+ and wondering if its worth the "risk".

Need some convincing....help?

I believe it's strictly a quality control issue right at the factory and they're letting too many "buggy" birds loose. They need to step up their quality control and maybe a lot of these issues will go away.

I found it very hard to trust them after having five of them at this point. I finally have a P4P and it seems to be flawless so I'm keeping this one, finally.

Bud

I can't speak to what anyone else has experienced other than to note that reports of problems abound for every single DJI product ever made, in fact just about any piece of complex consumer electronics ever made, and if you believe them all then you'll essentially be left with an Etch A Sketch as the only safe option ;) I'm not doubting what anyone else says but there is apparently no core issue with the P4P+ as I and many other have had no problems at all.

I use the iPad Mini 4 on my P4P and I love it. I had the iPad Mini2 on my old P3Pro and it was a dream as well.

The P4Pro with the iPad Mini 4 turned up to 3/4 brightness is almost as good s the small built in screen of the P4Pro+ and it's got a lot bigger screen and Anti-Glare to boot. I do like the option of third party apps and I hate being locked into a system that if one component fails you're grounded. If something should happen to the iPad Mini 4 I can always use my wife's Samsung cell phone.

No question for me, I love my P4Pro and the iPad Mini 4 tablet. It's a great combination.

Bud

I'm also excited to see what sort of photo opportunities the new vantage point will allow me, though my primary goal is video with it, I am excited to get a birds eye view of my farm in a better resolution than Google Maps can provide (haha)

I'm leaning towards the iPad Mini 4. I could get a refurbished one for about the same price as the Mini 2 new. Composition wise I think I would appreciate the bigger screen. Third party apps are not a huge concern for me but the option to use them is also nice. I'd use a screen hood for it, and keep my eye on those new displays that DJI is said to release in the future, if I ever feel I want something brighter.

As for your question, yes the only difference between the P4P and the P4P+ is that the + has the controller with the integrated screen.

Last edited:
Reactions: azgeek
I use an iPad Mini 4. I currently have the wifi only model but will be getting a wifi+cellular version so I can have gps available for more tracking functionality.

I originally purchased the P4P+ and have had issues with the DJI GO app crashing. I purchased a P4P controller, paired that with the P4P, and have been flying happily ever since with the iPad. I'm not giving up on the P4P+ controller just yet because I expect DJI will get that stabilized. I do like the capability of HDMI with the + controller.

I use an iPad Mini 4. I currently have the wifi only model but will be getting a wifi+cellular version so I can have gps available for more tracking functionality.

I originally purchased the P4P+ and have had issues with the DJI GO app crashing. I purchased a P4P controller, paired that with the P4P, and have been flying happily ever since with the iPad. I'm not giving up on the P4P+ controller just yet because I expect DJI will get that stabilized. I do like the capability of HDMI with the + controller.

How do you find the combo? Any noticeable lag / latency? I'm more of an Android user (no preference, just how it happened) so if I get one it will be my first time with a modern Apple product. I have heard the DJI Go app is more optimized for IOS - is that true?

How do you find the combo? Any noticeable lag / latency?

I haven't noticed any latency with the P4P and iPad Mini 4. Didn't notice any latency with the P4P+ either, at least when flying. Using the flight simulator was a joke with the P4P+ controller because there was so much lag in the response. Shouldn't be a problem if you don't plan on using the simulator in the P4P+.

How I have heard the DJI Go app is more optimized for IOS - is that true?

The P4P+ was my first Android experience. Haven't had a problem with the DJI GO4 app on an iPhone 6S, an iPad 9.7 pro, or the iPad mini.

Reactions: Equidale
I'm completely torn. I keep reading such a variety of different user experiences with the P4P+ - some love it, some say they returned it because of the RC software/integrated tablet app glitching.

I guess my question is, is this a known issue? Or is it a handful of people complaining on the internet? I am in Canada and plan on buying from B&H, do they have a good exchange policy (for Canadians) if there are any issues?

Right now I don't have any device I could use with the standard P4P. I have a Google Pixel XL which I don't know if it will be supported. If I went with the standard P4P I would need to buy a tablet (that I would dedicate to being used as a screen, so no additional apps etc.)

I was thinking of the iPad Mini 2 since it seems that the DJI Go 4 app runs well in IOS (at least from what Ive read) but then I read other things about people saying the processing power of the Mini 2 isn't fast enough to stop significant lag / latency... and then I come back to looking at the P4P+ and wondering if its worth the "risk".

Need some convincing....help?
Go to the DJI website, click drones, then Your model, then downloads and towards bottom of page it states which tablets/ phones are compatible android or iOS with your drone. Hope that helps

I got bored after awhile with my P3P, then I found Litchi ! Opened up a whole new realm of excitement for me.
That's why I got the P4P
I'm running with Ipad mini 4 and it works flawlessly.

I got bored after awhile with my P3P, then I found Litchi ! Opened up a whole new realm of excitement for me.
That's why I got the P4P
I'm running with Ipad mini 4 and it works flawlessly.

I decided to go with an iPad Mini 4 and the P4P! Decided I want a bigger screen and have heard nothing but good things about the iOS version of the app. I was able to get one Wifi+Cellular refurbed from Apple for the same price as a new mini 2, and ultimately with the drone will cost the same as the P4P+.

Now to figure out where the best place to buy one as a Canadian...In terms of return policy / warranty / price / authorized dealer.... And what sort of sun hood to get for it...

I decided to go with an iPad Mini 4 and the P4P! Decided I want a bigger screen and have heard nothing but good things about the iOS version of the app. I was able to get one Wifi+Cellular refurbed from Apple for the same price as a new mini 2, and ultimately with the drone will cost the same as the P4P+.

Now to figure out where the best place to buy one as a Canadian...In terms of return policy / warranty / price / authorized dealer.... And what sort of sun hood to get for it...

I am still trying to decide even tho i have a 7plus iphone and a iPad air 2 with cellular. I still think the convenience of not hooking up a big tablet all the time messing with wires and a sun shade sounds like the better choice. Only thing keeping me from knowing a 100 percent is everyone saying about the connection loss there experiencing. I think i will order the pro+ and if it glitches i will return it within the 30 days most places have. I think i will regret not knowing or experiencing the p4p+ myself. On the other hand i hate everything android haha! Ill admit I'm an apple fan boy!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I use the iPad Mini 4 w cellular service for several reasons. It is my understanding that the experience of the DJI GO App is better in iOS than Android, can't speak about the Android experience.
I am an iOS user (iPhone 6PLUS, Mac Book Pro, Apple TV). I am also an advanced Autopilot user, when I program my missions in AP I do it in my iPad Mini 4 and test the missions (Autopilot has a path inspector). When I save the missions on the iPad they automatically become available on my iPhone. When I fly, sometimes I switch between the iPhone 6PLUS, depending on my mood. I also have a second drone, a Mavic. I can only fly the Mavic with the iPhone 6PLUS, the control does not have enough room for an iPad, unless I buy a separate attachment. At this point it is not something that I am going to do.

Recently I purchased Litchi, although it has certain limitation in comparison to Autopilot it is a nice App.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20