I decided to go with an iPad Mini 4 and the P4P! Decided I want a bigger screen and have heard nothing but good things about the iOS version of the app. I was able to get one Wifi+Cellular refurbed from Apple for the same price as a new mini 2, and ultimately with the drone will cost the same as the P4P+.

Congrats on the decision --- I don't think you will be disappointed at all.

And what sort of sun hood to get for it...

I recommend the Hoodman. Amazon.com : Hoodman Drone Aviator Hood Kit (Includes HAV1 & HAV1E) : Camera & Photo

I originally purchased the DJI RC monitor hood which is ok, but the Hoodman really helps to make the iPad mini display much brighter because it completely surrounds the iPad mini. I also like that it has an removable extension that allows for use with glasses.

I am still trying to decide even tho i have a 7plus iphone and a iPad air 2 with cellular. I still think the convenience of not hooking up a big tablet all the time messing with wires and a sun shade sounds like the better choice. Only thing keeping me from knowing a 100 percent is everyone saying about the connection loss there experiencing. I think i will order the pro+ and if it glitches i will return it within the 30 days most places have. I think i will regret not knowing or experiencing the p4p+ myself. On the other hand i hate everything android haha! Ill admit I'm an apple fan boy!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

The P4P+ is a good choice as long as you do not plan on running third party autonomous flight apps like Autopilot or Litchi.
I love perfectly framed, cinematic look in all of my videos, AP allows me to execute flight and camera control sequences that at some point I thought were impossible to perform manually. Not being able to run AP is a deal breaker for me, however I do like the display on the controller of the P4P+.

Those of you with the iPad mini 4 would you say you need a sun shade every time you fly, or just extreme summer sun?

Do you find it awkward to access the touchscreen? That's my only concern about that one.
Not really awkward but not as access friendly as the DJI monitor hood. It's easy to reach the screen from the top of the hood when just using the lower portion. Going through the flap is ok and the only practical way to get to the screen when using the extension.

I think it's an ok trade-off given then better contrast than the more open DJI monitor.

Last edited:
Those of you with the iPad mini 4 would you say you need a sun shade every time you fly, or just extreme summer sun?

I don't always fly with the hood, especially when there is sufficient shade available. I'm in Arizona and the Sun is bright in every season and extremely hot in the summer.:eek:

I don't always fly with the hood, especially when there is sufficient shade available. I'm in Arizona and the Sun is bright in every season and extremely hot in the summer.:eek:

Lol thank you, I'm in northeast Pa its currently no sun this time of year and 20 out!

I don't often use a sun shade with mine -- even in the summer. You will need a shade if the sun is beating directly on the tablet though. That's an issue with all tablets.

Reactions: Equidale
I'm almost absolutely certain that - after reading all these responses to your question - you're better educated. And even more confused than before ... That's how the forums works ... Think about your dilemma this way: if any version/incarnation of a particular product will exhibit specific issues, would any manufacturer keep production and shipping going on? If you're still in doubt, wait a month or two until P4P concept reach it's puberty ...

I have had P2 with all the old GoPro 5.8 stuff. P3, P4 and now a P4Pro+. I have had no issues with the 'plus'. Love the screen and the seamless firmware upgrade process. (None).

I also fly completely manually with GPS and really use the bird as a 'camera trolly'. A lot of close in work. Flying high all over the place at 200 feet does not interest me. (But it is very cool.) I used Litchi on the P4 and would rather have that app on the 'plus' for a couple of video features. (I am working on taking more raw photos than video. But, that is the photographer in me. Your milage may vary.)

Today, given how I use the platform, I prefer the 'plus' only for the screen. That's today. Tomorrow is always interesting as tech advances in this very new market.

I'll watch this thread with interest, as I expect to face the same challenge soon! I'm also wanting it as a flying camera - I too shoot a 5D3 and the drone is just a way to get different shots.

One silly basic question I have which searching hasn't answered - apart from the controller, the actual aircraft is identical, right?

I wonder if the larger screen on an iPad would give me better composition opportunities? Although I seem to manage with the little screen on the back of the SLR!

As a flying camera, I'm unlikely to want third party apps - editing will be on laptop, and I'll never fly out of sight so don't need Litchi....

Good luck with the decision - either way you will get a great device!

Just because you do not plan on flying out of sight should not preclude you from utilizing Litchi. Only very experienced pilots are able to duplicate the smoothness of flight and certain dramatic shots you can obtain with Litchi.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Last edited:
Reactions: KiwiBird
I have a question and can't seem to find an answer, those off you with the p4p+ controller can you plug an iOS device in the back USB port and use say an iPad if you wanted to run the dji go 4 app that way, or gs pro?

I have a question and can't seem to find an answer, those off you with the p4p+ controller can you plug an iOS device in the back USB port and use say an iPad if you wanted to run the dji go 4 app that way, or gs pro?
No, you cannot connect an external control device to the P4P+.

Okay well that sucks! I read some early on post saying that dji said you could connect a device and the screen on the controller will just go blank. Thank you for clearing that up. That would be perfect i then could of just sat at a table and ran some auto pilot apps.

I went P4P as I wanted to use an iPad with a bigger screen..the brightness of the screen on the P4P+ almost sold me though

Okay screen is amazing!! BUT!! Like everyone has been saying the video stream keeps going in and out even when the phantom is 25 feet away! This was filming 4k 60, i am defiantly bummed i guess ill return it for the regular one. Don't want to risk keeping it if dji never fixes this issue!

0169767e67852a8f6999bebf82f12989.jpg

Okay screen is amazing!! BUT!! Like everyone has been saying the video stream keeps going in and out even when the phantom is 25 feet away!

0169767e67852a8f6999bebf82f12989.jpg

Sorry to hear about the issues. Good luck with the returns process. DJI wanted me to return the complete order (bird, extra batteries, props, etc) and not just the P4P+ controller. No way I was going to do that and get back in the que for a replacement which could have been a refurbished unit. I instead ordered the non + controller and have been flying happily ever since. Still hoping for firmware upgrades to resolve the performance issues on the + controller. I still have some time under the warranty period to send the + controller in if a firmware update doesn't remedy the issues.

A slightly off topic question but after watching so many videos of the P4 and P4P... Does the P4P remote (standard) have an HDMI port? Or does it need that accessory to add it to the remote? Can't remember if that was only missing from the P4 or if only the P4P+ has it.

Reactions: Equidale
I ordered the P4P+ and it showed up yesterday. However, I've been hesitant to even open it because of the reported glitchy issues. I had the P4 since it came out, sold it when I got the Mavic but there was always an issue with seeing the display on my iPad mini 2 so when the + was announced saying that it had twice as bright of a screen I was sold. At this point I'm not that interested in using 3rd party apps so it was even more of a reason to get the +. Like I said the P4P+ showed up yesterday and I'm trying to decide to fly or just send it back for the P4P.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik