The professional filter set for the Phantom 3

Just ordered a set. [emoji106]

Reactions: numbphoto
I also just ordered a set. I've tried others and have not been satisfied with the options. Really excited to try it out.

@Bret Lucas, really nice footage, thanks for sharing. Nice Finn Brothers music bed as well. :)

@philputnam - If you don't mind me asking... which other ones have you tried. Not trying to throw anyone under the bus, but I am sincerely interested in knowing. I've heard a lot of good things about @Rainbowers and am confident that you will be happy with them. I will hopefully order mine soon too. Liked! :)

@philputnam - If you don't mind me asking... which other ones have you tried. Not trying to throw anyone under the bus, but I am sincerely interested in knowing. I've heard a lot of good things about @Rainbowers and am confident that you will be happy with them. I will hopefully order mine soon too. Liked! :)

@williamjamesfpv Certainly. The first one I tried was by Snake River Prototyping, a combo ND8 and polarizer. Build quality was good, but since it was made to slip over the camera, it could be quite difficult to remove from the camera. Also needed a counter-balance (not included) or it would overwork the gimbal motor. The ND8 was a good versatile strength, but not ideal for super bright settings, or for dusk when the sky is pretty, but not as bright. Also, the polarizer would look too strong in certain angles and , but you couldn't remove it if you still needed the ND part. It was one of the first available though, so it had that going for it.

After that, I bought the PolarPro 3 filter set, before they had a 6 filter option. It had an ND4, ND8, and polarizer. I liked that you could easily screw them on and off, and that they were light enough to not need counter-balancing, but again, versatility was quite limited. You could only use one at a time. They added some extra combos for the 6 filter set, but very expensive for the limited versatility.

What excites me about @Rainbowers set, besides the fact that he's a community member turning out an exceptional product, is that he clearly knows photography and optics. Coming from a background in cinematography, I love the matte box workflow, allowing me to stack the right combo of filters for my setting. Super bright sky and shooting landscapes? Give me an ND16 or 32 and a ND4 Grad on top. Maybe a polarizer if needed. But maybe not. I'm not stuck needing both an ND16 and an ND16 polarizer filter. Is it dusk, with a gorgeous sky but a valley in the foreground? Just lose the full ND and put the ND grad or stack the 2 grads to knock down the sky but keep the data in the valley in range. It will make color grading so much easier. The sensor on the P3P camera, as good as it is, is still pretty limited compared to large sensor DSLR's, so any help you can give it on the dynamic range is going to greatly improve your images.

I do wish counterbalancing weren't necessary, but that's really more an aesthetic issue than anything else, and it's a small price to pay for getting the tools to do it right.

@williamjamesfpv Certainly. The first one I tried was by Snake River Prototyping, a combo ND8 and polarizer. Build quality was good, but since it was made to slip over the camera, it could be quite difficult to remove from the camera. Also needed a counter-balance (not included) or it would overwork the gimbal motor. The ND8 was a good versatile strength, but not ideal for super bright settings, or for dusk when the sky is pretty, but not as bright. Also, the polarizer would look too strong in certain angles and , but you couldn't remove it if you still needed the ND part. It was one of the first available though, so it had that going for it.

After that, I bought the PolarPro 3 filter set, before they had a 6 filter option. It had an ND4, ND8, and polarizer. I liked that you could easily screw them on and off, and that they were light enough to not need counter-balancing, but again, versatility was quite limited. You could only use one at a time. They added some extra combos for the 6 filter set, but very expensive for the limited versatility.

What excites me about @Rainbowers set, besides the fact that he's a community member turning out an exceptional product, is that he clearly knows photography and optics. Coming from a background in cinematography, I love the matte box workflow, allowing me to stack the right combo of filters for my setting. Super bright sky and shooting landscapes? Give me an ND16 or 32 and a ND4 Grad on top. Maybe a polarizer if needed. But maybe not. I'm not stuck needing both an ND16 and an ND16 polarizer filter. Is it dusk, with a gorgeous sky but a valley in the foreground? Just lose the full ND and put the ND grad or stack the 2 grads to knock down the sky but keep the data in the valley in range. It will make color grading so much easier. The sensor on the P3P camera, as good as it is, is still pretty limited compared to large sensor DSLR's, so any help you can give it on the dynamic range is going to greatly improve your images.

I do wish counterbalancing weren't necessary, but that's really more an aesthetic issue than anything else, and it's a small price to pay for getting the tools to do it right.

@philputnam - Thank you so much for your review of all three ND filters. I have yet to try any, so having an honest feedback from individuals like yourself has been very helpful, and much appreciated. To be honest, the SRP and PolarPro ones were the ones I was directly comparing against that offered by Rainbowers, and after reading your review, I think you've helped me make my decision. Plus, you have a totally valid point in stating that @Rainbowers is "a community member turning out an exceptional product, [and] that he clearly knows photography and optics". For me, personally, this goes a long way because I know that the person who designed the product has first hand experience of what we require... and that's priceless. Plus, @Rainbowers seems like a professional and friendly gentleman and that's always a win for customer service. Hopefully, I'll be putting in my order soon. Thank you again for your honest review. Liked! :)

Thank you for appreciating. Indeed, we only develop products we need ourself, no commercial purposes. That means, we only have 3 products: Ph3 filters, Inspire1 filters, variable ND filters for Sony A7s FE- lenses.
Living in China has (only) one advantage: let produce cheap but keep control (difficult).
In 85% of all western products you will find Chinese elements. Most brands will not tell you, but I discovered some amazing proofs about !
If someone needs help for cinematography accessories, mostly we can have them cheaper as you will find on Ebay, etc.

Reactions: witold
Bonjour,

Voici une première vidéo avec filtre nd 16 .. tout a l'air d'être bien stabilisé
je n'ai pas osé utiliser le gradué ... le 2 ou le 4 avec un nd 16 ?? je ne sais pas comment combiner. ^^

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bonjour,

Voici une première vidéo avec filtre nd 16 .. tout a l'air d'être bien stabilisé
je n'ai pas osé utiliser le gradué ... le 2 ou le 4 avec un nd 16 ?? je ne sais pas comment combiner. ^^

C'est tout un peu le gout personnel. Moi, je préfère très naturel, donc j'utiliserai le grad nd2. ND8 or ND 16: cela dépend la quantité de lumière que vous avez. Décidez d'abord votre éclairage et vitesse sur l'image, pas sur le ciel, le grad nd 2 va adoucir le ciel.
En tout cas magnifique !

Reactions: QaaUz
Bonjour,

The balance overall seems very right.
You can put two together - please note the instructions. The FLATs of the two must be against each other.
Pardonez moi- je ne ecrire Francais mais je comprende comme si, comme ca!
Un bon video.

Reactions: Rainbowers
Just ordered my set.
Can't wait to try them

Voici la version 2
Je ne souhaite pas y faire ma pub mais le filtre a tellement été efficace que je vous propose le résultat

Magnifique, mais, pourquoi le footage rend si pauvre, problème export ou .... ? On sait que cela ne rends pas comme un camera pro, mais quand même cela pouvait être mieux. Sharpness à -2 ?

Oui j'ai mis en LOG et j'ai baissé les niveaux pour obtenir une image neutre.. Et à la post prod j'obtiens un meilleur rendu

And I just received my tracking number. Great service. I can't await it to test and use. Thank you.

And I just received my tracking number. Great service. I can't await it to test and use. Thank you.

I also just received my tracking number. Fast courteous service. Totally looking forward to trying out this professional grade product.

Would it be possible to buy an extra barrel+o-ring and cpl?

The reason i ask is that used mine for the first time this morning. Great sun rise over the archipelago and -6 degrees. Some lightmist at the surface and the horizon was at fire. It was one of those moments that last for maybe 5-10 minutes.

Set the copter up with the cpl and nd16 and got airborn. I realized after a minute or so that i needed the nd32 to push down the ISO while still maintaining a 2/1 ratio beteende ss and fps.

I landed and unscrew the filter and started to swap for the ND32. It took a minute to do that safely in the cold weather. If i had two barrels and 2cpl i would have had one setup in backup which would have reduced the time to swap.

I lost maybe 20% of the uptime in this particular scenery.

Love the quality btw.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl