New Firmware 1.2.503 for Phantom 4

Hi guys,

no more yaw yaw,

but I encounterd for twice spontaneous altitude change:

- first flight after update I climbed to 20 meters, when it started to slowly gain altitude by itself! It stopped at 65 meters, but when I returned it to land (was not responsive during climbing!), it showed -30 meters (negative altitude).

- second flight, in first minute, it spontaneously descended by several meters, again uncontrollably. Yes, it was low ambient light condition, but still I never experienced anything like this before or on p3a which I have. Again, on landing it showed positive altitude but not zero.

I was told on some rc forum, that this is new, yet undocumented, barometric pressure sensor calibration procedure, but I Don't buy it. Still indeed, after this happens, next take off and flight is rock solid in the air.

wtf......

Did you do an IMU calibration? This sounds like a sensor issue.

Just to clarify on this subject, again, the humidity in the fridge is not high, and that is not the problem. Water vapor does not condense onto a warm object placed in a fridge. The problem is caused when the cold aircraft is removed from the fridge into warm air, causing water vapor in the warm air to condense onto the aircraft
Thank you for the clarification. :cool:

Just to clarify on this subject, again, the humidity in the fridge is not high, and that is not the problem. Water vapor does not condense onto a warm object placed in a fridge. The problem is caused when the cold aircraft is removed from the fridge into warm air, causing water vapor in the warm air to condense onto the aircraft
Makes sense.

Installed new firmware, recalled IMU and gimbal. Only one 17 minute flight today and no more yoyo.YIPPY. Pryor to the update my gimbal tilt small and only in some direction of flight, but I had NO gimbal tilt at all in this first flight! The wind was at least 15mph and all was right on even in s mode doing 40mph. My bird was probably the third production batch and I did not think this upgrade would fix the tilt. Hope it stays that way, now this bird rocks.

How i could find which production batch is my phantom4?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Did you do an IMU calibration? This sounds like a sensor issue.

Ok, today it was really weird.
First, the versions you asked me read in Dji Go app (i dont know where else to read them):

App: 2.8.2
version: 01.02.0503
RC: 1.6.0

I dont see any other numbers regarding versions.
There's no message that i need to update anything. Also, only the aircraft firmware was updated (it was the only that was requested by the system), not the RC or battery.

The good news is that i have flight records now. All of them. Probably bec i logged in so it connected everything with my profile initiated from my phone in the time ZERO. Funny detail about them is that S1 was recorded in the ******* Mongolia.....the first flight record says it was there.

But(t) lets see what happened after the take off... My usual engine ignition and abrupt climb. And then my Dji Go app crashed. ****. Panic..will it continue to ascent and end up in the stratosphere or will it crash. None happened. I think it started to descend but it reacted to commands and i managed to control it and make it be in the air until i restarted it. Fine. Let's fly now. It all looked well. However, in one situation with full horizontal acceleration it did some kind of "nod-nod" movement (i didnt see altitude changing) - i.e. the nose of P4 was nodding. Is it "yaw-yaw" that you were mentioning?
But that is not the worst.
Yes, it was ascending spontaneously again. From few meters to few more meters up. But the most stupid thing was that the altitude shown on my tablet was completely ridiculous. Ok, it was not negative, but it was completely wrong. I hovered at 1.5 meter, then on 1 meter, the ultrasonic sensor showed 1m in red, but the "official" altimeter was showing 25m or somethinglike that. I made a circle up /down around flying a bit, came back and at some 2 meters, it was showing 16 meters. So, in short i have no idea at which altitude the P4 is unless i see him physically. So, i dont feel confident flying it any more.

I can send you the flight log and even upload the video if you are interested. It can be seen as i am landing in one moment and the altitude is 20m?? Thats silly.
It seems that altitude sensor calibration is either needed, or the sensor is screwed up.

Ok, today it was really weird.
First, the versions you asked me read in Dji Go app (i dont know where else to read them):

App: 2.8.2
version: 01.02.0503
RC: 1.6.0

I dont see any other numbers regarding versions.
There's no message that i need to update anything. Also, only the aircraft firmware was updated (it was the only that was requested by the system), not the RC or battery.

The good news is that i have flight records now. All of them. Probably bec i logged in so it connected everything with my profile initiated from my phone in the time ZERO. Funny detail about them is that S1 was recorded in the ******* Mongolia.....the first flight record says it was there.

But(t) lets see what happened after the take off... My usual engine ignition and abrupt climb. And then my Dji Go app crashed. ****. Panic..will it continue to ascent and end up in the stratosphere or will it crash. None happened. I think it started to descend but it reacted to commands and i managed to control it and make it be in the air until i restarted it. Fine. Let's fly now. It all looked well. However, in one situation with full horizontal acceleration it did some kind of "nod-nod" movement (i didnt see altitude changing) - i.e. the nose of P4 was nodding. Is it "yaw-yaw" that you were mentioning?
But that is not the worst.
Yes, it was ascending spontaneously again. From few meters to few more meters up. But the most stupid thing was that the altitude shown on my tablet was completely ridiculous. Ok, it was not negative, but it was completely wrong. I hovered at 1.5 meter, then on 1 meter, the ultrasonic sensor showed 1m in red, but the "official" altimeter was showing 25m or somethinglike that. I made a circle up /down around flying a bit, came back and at some 2 meters, it was showing 16 meters. So, in short i have no idea at which altitude the P4 is unless i see him physically. So, i dont feel confident flying it any more.

I can send you the flight log and even upload the video if you are interested. It can be seen as i am landing in one moment and the altitude is 20m?? Thats silly.
It seems that altitude sensor calibration is either needed, or the sensor is screwed up.
Did you do a IMU and compass calibration?

User Sky Mike and user Asprine report the same issue after updating to the latest firmware!

See New Firmware 1.2.503 for Phantom 4 for details.

It is common for us that we all did not have any problems with previous firmware, but decided to make it even better :)

Now the barometric sensor went mad. How do roll-back to previous version? Anybody advise me the downgrade procedue for the P4?

Last edited:
Hi,
as DJI Tech support suggested, I refreshed the firmware from the PC DJI Assistant 2 software, and then calibrated IMU, and then compass.
Everything went flawlessly.

Then i calibrated IMU on flat level desk bla bla, it worked without reporting error. Maybe to mention, i calibrated IMU from tablet since PC, when calibration is initiated wants to calibrate visual sensors and i have no capacity for that yet. On tablet, on the other hand, it provides me selective sensor calibration. So I skipped visual sensors calibration.

Then i went out, far from iron bla bla bla and calibrated compass.

I took her off. Simple vertical wrooooooommmm upwards and watched the instrumental status. It said 25m, then i looked up, it seemed higher (how can one tell), then i look at tablet and it was 35 meters. Not touching joysticks!
Then it started to descend. But reaaaaly rapidly as if i was commanding a fast descend. I let for few seconds but then used the command UP to stop it since i was afraid it would crash!
Thanks God it didnt disobey the commands and i stopped the descend. So.....i brought her down to only few meters above ground and observed what sensors say and what the reality was. Sonic sensor is definitely way more accurate, maybe even absolutely accurate.
Barometric one however is full of crap. It looks like it generates some number from parallel universe, black hole, whatever. In short, when i have it at 4 meters, sonic shows good, but barometric will show 20 meters! I bring it to one meter, sonic is fine, barometric shows 3 meters etc. So this is not even simple offset!
I landed with accurate sonic altitude, but at the moment of landing the number on barometric sensor was 2m. Other times I landed with negative altitude!
When it switched off motors it jumped to zero like a step.

I looked the telemetry in flight log. Interesting thing was that fast descending. Unfortunately i cant see sonic sensor data there but even without it, you can see 35m altitude *unchanged* all the time, while vertical speed is constantly 1.6m/s. Clearly the sensor is not sensing the change in altitude.
And all this crap started after my update to the latest firmware!
How do I roll back to the previous firmware?

Last edited:
Reactions: Stealthmatt
Only to confirm, rock solid and stable P4 after this update!
No more green and purple lines on screen (galaxy s7 edge).
Like my old P3P...so so happy :D
Very god job dji!!!

I've just done the update, but haven't flown as yet. Sounds like a worth while update, looking forward to trying it out [emoji122]

Hi,
as DJI Tech support suggested, I refreshed the firmware from the PC DJI Assistant 2 software, and then calibrated IMU, and then compass.
Everything went flawlessly.

Then i calibrated IMU on flat level desk bla bla, it worked without reporting error. Maybe to mention, i calibrated IMU from tablet since PC, when calibration is initiated wants to calibrate visual sensors and i have no capacity for that yet. On tablet, on the other hand, it provides me selective sensor calibration. So I skipped visual sensors calibration.

Then i went out, far from iron bla bla bla and calibrated compass.

I took her off. Simple vertical wrooooooommmm upwards and watched the instrumental status. It said 25m, then i looked up, it seemed higher (how can one tell), then i look at tablet and it was 35 meters. Not touching joysticks!
Then it started to descend. But reaaaaly rapidly as if i was commanding a fast descend. I let for few seconds but then used the command UP to stop it since i was afraid it would crash!
Thanks God it didnt disobey the commands and i stopped the descend. So.....i brought her down to only few meters above ground and observed what sensors say and what the reality was. Sonic sensor is definitely way more accurate, maybe even absolutely accurate.
Barometric one however is full of crap. It looks like it generates some number from parallel universe, black hole, whatever. In short, when i have it at 4 meters, sonic shows good, but barometric will show 20 meters! I bring it to one meter, sonic is fine, barometric shows 3 meters etc. So this is not even simple offset!
I landed with accurate sonic altitude, but at the moment of landing the number on barometric sensor was 2m. Other times I landed with negative altitude!
When it switched off motors it jumped to zero like a step.

I looked the telemetry in flight log. Interesting thing was that fast descending. Unfortunately i cant see sonic sensor data there but even without it, you can see 35m altitude *unchanged* all the time, while vertical speed is constantly 1.6m/s. Clearly the sensor is not sensing the change in altitude.
And all this crap started after my update to the latest firmware!
How do I roll back to the previous firmware?

Load up DJI GO app and in the top right corner is a graduation hat. Turn everything on and then hold down the graduation hat for 10 secs when you let it go it will take you to a screen where you can roll back versions. You must have everything turned on (drone and remote and app)

Load up DJI GO app and in the top right corner is a graduation hat. Turn everything on and then hold down the graduation hat for 10 secs when you let it go it will take you to a screen where you can roll back versions. You must have everything turned on (drone and remote and app)

Hi thanks for your response!

I know this option, but it will only revert firmware of the RC which I did not upgrade. There is no option to downgrade the craft firmware though!

Hello and greetings from Finland!

I've been flying with my bird for a month and I love it. :) But. The firmware update can't be done. Update package is downloaded with the DJI Go app but the actual update when P4 is connected is interrupted every time. Report is sent automatically to DJI Tech support and I suppose I should get some instructions what to do next. Still waiting... Any suggestions?

BTW, local newspaper made a story about me and my P4 today (sorry, it's in Finnish but there are photos and videos and I thought you might be interested :) Yöllistä tunnelmaa kotiseutumuseolta ja perinnemaisemia – katso videot

(edit: I found the video tutorial in the DJI FORUM and did the update with my laptop - it seems that it was succesful... Gonna test the bird tomorrow)

Last edited:
Reactions: ftttu
Got my drone back, it's the original and they replaced the main board. Happy I did not get a referb back...will see how it flys tomorrow

Funny I have the same problem my iPad will not download it says boys so I use my iPhone 6 no problem at all

Make sure your iPad is not too close of the RC as home router WiFi might be less visible.

Last edited:
I format the memory card in the bird using the camera settings option.format, if I do it in my computer the bird does not see it. In this update I had to leave the RC power on all the time after disconnecting the cable from my tablet to connect to the bird. I had turned the RC off the first 2 times I tried to update and got fails. Leaving the RC on, the bird updated and all is good.

So, to summarize. There are different batches of serials of P4, and those will react in a different way to this firmware update.

If your P4 is of the batch which faces yaw yaw problem, this firmware will address the issue and fix it.

If your P4 is of the newer batch which mostly do not have this problem, this new firmware will mistakenly overcompensate the glitch and this will result in screwed barometric sensor function, so you very well may overestimate/ underestimate your altitude by dozen of meters. The craft may also ascend or descend by itself by a couple of dozens meters up or down.

Summary: do it on your risk! If it works, DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT upgrade!

after the update i'm now facing video drop out when banking left?? kinda strange..........

I updated as well and had the drop disappeared as well. But took it out the next day and the problem I had with the video pink and green lines returned. It was gone for one whole day. lol any ideas?

I updated as well and had the drop disappeared as well. But took it out the next day and the problem I had with the video pink and green lines returned. It was gone for one whole day. lol any ideas?

Mine oddly only happens when I bank left towards me...... Gonna try and adjust some settings.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl