First FPV flight lost connection over water - litchi app

Reaction score
well did my first test and lost connection over a lake. Luckily it returned to the home point but at low level nearly hitting a tree. In my DJI go app it it set to 30 meters. When it returned home with litchi it came same height as I was currently flying at the last moment I lost signal. And suggestions what mistake I made?

This is the flight video

Reactions: JWH
It looked like it climbed but remember you took it lower to the lake some, im sure it takes the last height as the "start" to climb up 30mtrs from that point, i would set your RTH height 50mtrs or so or look at the tallest object in the area and plan to have height above it should something go wrong
You probably lost signal due to the trees inbetween you and the drone, when FPVing remember whats behind the drone ... or rather - whats inbetween you and it, you still need line of sight to keep control.

Awesome aint it :)

Last edited:
Reactions: JWH
It looked like it climbed but remember you took it lower to the lake some, im sure it takes the last height as the "start" to climb up 30mtrs from that point, i would set your RTH height 50mtrs or so.
You probably lost signal due to the trees inbetween you and the drone, when FPVing remember whats behind the drone ... or rather - whats inbetween you and it.

Awesome aint it :)
When it went higher it was me back in control. Normally it stop and go up to return to home altitude then return. It just came back at the last height I lowered it to during the flight. This is my only concern. Thanks for the comment. Changing it to at least 50 now lol

It definately climbed before the "return to home" came onscreen (06:04) and after you said you lost it, hard to tell how high though, then it turned for home.
Good luck for next time, think youll be addicted now hehe

i took off from a stationary boat today and my p3pro started downwind. while rotating to get my forward motion sorted, every direction i tried with my right stick was'nt getting me closer.at 350 ft. away and 80 ft. altitude i hit rth then planned to disengage rth when i saw it, but it never came close. after 15 min it showed lost connection, but the map showed a track from the last position i had, 2 miles back to my house. of course it's not at my house and i wonder how the track is there. i had a bad feeling about doing this shoot on the boat, but the dji dealer i talked to and others said it was no problem.anyone have this happen to them?..thank you...

Upload your flight to healthy drones or phantom help to get a confirmation on the RTH behaviour. If you were less than 30m above your Home point it should have climbed, higher and it would have came back at the current height.

i took off from a stationary boat today and my p3pro started downwind. while rotating to get my forward motion sorted, every direction i tried with my right stick was'nt getting me closer.at 350 ft. away and 80 ft. altitude i hit rth then planned to disengage rth when i saw it, but it never came close. after 15 min it showed lost connection, but the map showed a track from the last position i had, 2 miles back to my house. of course it's not at my house and i wonder how the track is there. i had a bad feeling about doing this shoot on the boat, but the dji dealer i talked to and others said it was no problem.anyone have this happen to them?..thank you...

You must take into account that your on a boat and it will move so your take off point will not be your location when you return home as you would have drifted. It is a MUST and I blame that dji dealer also for not mentioning this to you that you change the rth features to dynamic RTH which will use your RC location as the home point and not your take off point.... when taking and flying from a boat this is the first thing someone should tell you if they are giving you advice and it's pretty much the most important thing you need to do, I can't believe you spoke to someone from dji and they did not mention this to you

You must take into account that your on a boat and it will move so your take off point will not be your location when you return home as you would have drifted. It is a MUST and I blame that dji dealer also for not mentioning this to you that you change the rth features to dynamic RTH which will use your RC location as the home point and not your take off point.... when taking and flying from a boat this is the first thing someone should tell you if they are giving you advice and it's pretty much the most important thing you need to do, I can't believe you spoke to someone from dji and they did not mention this to you
You are correct. It saved me writing the same reply

i get your point completely, the rth was to get it coming back as we stayed where we took off from, then once in sight,cancel rth and manually get things back to "normal"...still can't figure out that track on the map showing a straight line back to my house home point. anyway...made me sick for a bit, had a few rolling rock bottles and had to be thankful that i still have a new refurb p3 pro at home in the box, i won't make the same mistake twice. after thinking it through i have to take some operator error for not picking out a landmark on the other side of the shore and i would have known it was my forward direction where i was facing. forgot to mention that i looked at my warnings logs and there were 8 within a 2 min. period that said gps signal lost,but i never saw that on my active flight screen...all green, 18 satellites. i'm sure dji would laugh as soon as water was mentioned but i may give it a shot since i never got a gps problem warning.but..i would like to thank you guys for your insight and being kind....thanks...martin b

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl