Phantom 3 Standard Fly Away. Where is it ?

Will DJI replace the drone?

• Yes

Votes: 8 29.6%
  • Maybe

Votes: 10 37.0%
  • Definitely not

Votes: 9 33.3%

• Total voters
In other words it just happens at random?
I've seen the home point randomly reset in a few flight logs. However, this normally happens when RTH is initiated, the user is prompted to return to the original home point or current location, and current location is selected.

Reactions: RodPad
I think also, if max distance is enabled and the HP changes, the AC will be WAY out of range and the AC will try and fly within the max distance limit.

I agree 100%, DJI is losing the revenue every time they need to replace a bird.
Is there such a thing as a temporary sticky thread?
The cost is research and development, I bet it cost them less the $100.00 to manufacture this unit.
But they are using White rice. :D

I'm waiting for someone to tell me STAY ON TOPIC!!

I'm done .....

Rod

Reactions: meierjoe
I'd bet money it is because the Home Point is reverting to the controller location, which is off to the NW as far as I can tell in the recent cases. It is 2.2 miles on a bearing of about 275 degrees where I live. Similar bearing but not so far away for these guys in Europe. Be interesting to know what the distance is where Rod is from actual home point to where 3.1.2 thinks the controller is...but someone would have to temporarily load 3.1.2 on their android and see. May have something to do with magnetic north pole and deviation.

Reactions: RodPad
I'd bet money it is because the Home Point is reverting to the controller location
In all of the logs I've reviewed, the home point was set to a location to the far West. The remote controller location was always close to the takeoff location.

Interesting! Why is the new HP location seems to be around the same distance and direction on these cases???? W to NW and about 2-3 miles away?

For drying out your "damp" bird, you could use a hair dryer set on warm (NOT hot) and blow into the battery opening for a short duration. Touch the body of the AC and see how warm it is... remember the INSIDE will be WARMER!!! Ya don't want to cook the bird!
Even setting the dryer on cool would at least move alot of air through the insides.

Interesting. I just loaded 3.1.2 on my Galaxy S7 phone at the office and the Here Map thinks I am 2.2 miles on that same 275 degree bearing I used to see on my tablet at home...that is before I went back to 3.0.1. on everything. Of course Google Maps is spot on, as is the Here map in 3.1.1. Wonder if the reset home point is related to the device and not the controller?

I am now talking about things I don't know about. Back to work for me, sorry for the intrusion.

Actually DJI should be sending some thing out that gives an alert on THEIR APP.
When I flew tonight, before take off, the app said "home point updated - please check the map" is that the alert we need?

No, that's the good one, I meant was a notification / warning that they have a problem.
They will probably end up saying its android problem on certain models. ;)

Rod

Reactions: G-CCAS
In all of the logs I've reviewed, the home point was set to a location to the far West. The remote controller location was always close to the takeoff location.
So in the case of the OP, meierjoe, the home point where his bird landed was .7 miles on a bearing of maybe 275 to 280 degrees. Is that just a coincidence it went the same general direction as the Go App device error I show when in 3.1.2?

From my experience i can say i did not press update homepoint. I pressed RTH and ...
BTW did not turn it on yet. It looks dry but i will wait :)
And Rod yes it is indeed scary. The bird could also try to land where many people are and seriously hurt people.

in Germany the lawsuit would be against you as you are not allowed to fly it out of your sight and always need to have control over the drone. thats why it is by law required to have an insurance for the cases of injuring people or damaging cars and other stuff. Now i see why this insurance makes sense

Sent from my SM-G935F using PhantomPilots mobile app
Normally that's true but in this case the AC acted on its own, heading to a location the pilot would not have known it was set to and could not disable.
This is like if a car's autopilot decided to drive you 2 miles away from your home setting due to GPS reading errors and you could not disable the autopilot. That would be a manufacturer error.
One difference is in the auto example, you are in the vehicle. In the RC situation, eventually you'll be out of control range to try and recover.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

By the way, DJI sent me a beta version of the Android GO app to test if the mobile location is working. It did work correctly with the beta, even tried out Follow Me mode.
So I would figure a public release update should be available rather soon.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

@Marksowa

Where did you go?
Are you also missing?
Can you upload you last log?
Maybe we can find you..:D

Sorry, that was to easy.

Rod

Last edited:
OK,
I get home and I have been making fun of Chinese and rice.
I just bought this meter, and was just really starting to trust it. It was setting under a roof leak (new today) in my garage.

IMG_9331.JPG

Back to topic, will still got two missing :rolleyes:

Rod

Hi,
my Update wit the DJI Support is this: they send me a picture with the exact location where i found the bird. I should search it there and write back. I am not allowed to copy anything from the mail they say the could cease the communication otherwise.

Sent from my SM-G935F using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT