Phantom 3 Standard Fly Away. Where is it ?

Will DJI replace the drone?

• Yes

Votes: 8 29.6%
  • Maybe

Votes: 10 37.0%
  • Definitely not

Votes: 9 33.3%

• Total voters
@Harkness
Welcome to the forum!
With out seeing your flight log, I would say wind carried it away do to your elevation.

Upload your flight from your mobile device here
DJI Flight Log Viewer
Then copy and paste the url results page here.

Rod

I would love to, but since then I have deleted and re-installed the DJI go app.

Your flight log still should be on the Dji's Cloud, if you had synced to it.

Are you using Android or Apple?

Rod

Last edited:
It's a real puzzle. As though something interrupted it's ability to return home. Guess I'll never know. There is a cell tower out that way. Maybe it had something to do with it. Any guesses?
Without flight data, we can only guess but it's almost certain that the distance and height you were at are major factors and the cell tower had no effect on your flight.
What was the wind like that day?
What was the wind doing 1380 feet up?
If I was to guess, I'd say that you flew downwind, had no consideration for the wind speed up high and flew 2.2 miles away (possibly at a high, wind assisted speed) until you lost signal.
I'd also guess that on losing signal, your Phantom would have initiated RTH as it is programmed to.
And I'd guess that you didn't worry that RTH will only fly at 22mph (in still air)
You showed a screenshot of the Phantom in RTH at 7.5 mph.
Continuing my guessing, I'd say that the Phantom was unable to make sufficient headway against the strong wind blowing 1380 feet up to get back to the home point and autolanded when it got to critical low battery level.

How are my guesses?
You can fill in a few blanks by explaining the wind direction and strength as well as what speed you noticed as you flew your Phantom away.

It's not really a mystery at all.
We've seen many similar cases before.

Why would wind have any effect on a drone still locked onto 11 satellites? I downloaded the "flight records" as suggested, but they start on 11/17. The event took place on 11/09. Here is the path it took from my house to where it came down for a perfect landing.

Attachments

• 010262.jpg
    010262.jpg
    914.9 KB · Views: 293
Why would wind have any effect on a drone still locked onto 11 satellites?
Imagine you can row your boat at 6 mph .... but you are out on a river that's running at 8 mph.
Or perhaps the river is running at 4 mph ... but you get exhausted (your battery runs down) before you get home.
It won't matter how many satellites your GPS has or how hard you row .. you just aren't getting back home in that boat.

Here are some info about flying in high winds that might be useful.
1. RTH will initiate 3 seconds after loss of control signal
RTH will never descend until right above the home point. If your Phantom is higher, it will come home at the higher altitude.
Wind speed is always significantly higher at altitude than ground level. There are ways to get a feel for this to avoid losing your drone.
2. RTH is a slow driver. It cruises at 22 mph but you can drive at 36 mph (still air speeds).
If the Phantom is in RTH and trying to push against a wind stronger than 22 mph, it's going to be blown backwards until battery level triggers autolanding

It's very important to be aware of wind strength and direction.
Note how much the wind slows your Phantom if you try to fly directly into it.
Never fly away downwind in a strong wind situation - you will have a tough headwind to fight to get back home.
Never leave your Phantom up high fighting a headwind. Bring it down where the wind is less.

Reactions: RodPad

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj