Reaction score
Hi im new here and also an amateur dji phantom 3 pilot but im trying to get into it a little more. I am wanting to know if this type of edit would be possible or is it really difficult. I am trying to transition smoothly into a go pro's footage from a dji. I know it sounds crazy but this video helps explain what I'm trying to do.

Drone Effect - Streamable

Last edited:
Hi im new here and also an amateur dji phantom 3 pilot but im trying to get into it a little more. I am wanting to know if this type of edit would be possible or is it really difficult. I am trying to transition smoothly into a go pro's footage from a dji. I know it sounds crazy but this video helps explain what I'm trying to do.

Drone Effect - Streamable

There are several effects going on in this clip and of course not familiar with the footage you wish to use. Nevertheless, from what I see in the clip you used as an example, it's not difficult with the right software and some editing experience. I know I could duplicate everything I saw using Vegas Movie Pro or Vegas Movie Studio.

Hello Austin and welcome to the forum.

There are several effects going on in this clip and of course not familiar with the footage you wish to use. Nevertheless, from what I see in the clip you used as an example, it's not difficult with the right software and some editing experience. I know I could duplicate everything I saw using Vegas Movie Pro or Vegas Movie Studio.
Thank you for the reply! Do you know what this effect is called so that I can search how to do it? Also what I have in mind is to have my drone flying above off-road (dirt bike,4 wheeler,side by side) races and these vehicles have a GoPro on it and me be able to create this effect to transition into the footage on the vehicle. So I’m sure it will be different then the clip I provided and that’s also a video game so I’m sure that makes it different as well but that was the only example I could find.

Your best bet is to decide which editing software you plan to use and then research those exact transition options.

Alright thanks for all the replies does anyone have recommendations for best video editing software. I am currently using iMovie like I said I am a newbie.

One of the best edits like this is in Jesse's video linked below. Go to 3:15:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

He pans out from a Gopro on the back of the car into an aerial shot from a drone. Same thing can be done in reverse. Can it be done? Certainly... with just about any good editing software. Is it easy? No. It's a creative process. It's not "plug n play". You need experience to do this.

I'm working on an effect where I'm talking VLOG style on a hand held camera and then it appears to jump from being held up into the air and a drone shot. I'd be splicing the hand held footage right into the drone footage from the same vantage point. Seems easy enough.... it's not.

Thank you for the reply! Do you know what this effect is called so that I can search how to do it? Also what I have in mind is to have my drone flying above off-road (dirt bike,4 wheeler,side by side) races and these vehicles have a GoPro on it and me be able to create this effect to transition into the footage on the vehicle. So I’m sure it will be different then the clip I provided and that’s also a video game so I’m sure that makes it different as well but that was the only example I could find.
Two things I see. You may be looking for one or both.

1) Ripple Effect. I've seen several different versions of this. I think the example may be a simulation/portrayal (yes, I know it's a game) of a distorted TV signal. This is probably a stock effect that would be dropped on to the clip. Here you would split your scene at a few seconds before it cuts to the next shot. Drag and drop the effect onto the shortened clip.
2) Zoom. This does have a fairly steep learning curve as it requires learning how crop the image in the timeline and adding key frames to animate the movement/zoom. The good news is there are loads of videos on YouTube that show you how.

I don't have access to any of my editing software at the moment so I can't tell you for certain if any of my programs have the ripple/distortion effect. As a video software junkie I have Vegas Movie Studio, Vegas Movie Pro, Power Director and Premiere Elements.

One of the best edits like this is in Jesse's video linked below. Go to 3:15:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

He pans out from a Gopro on the back of the car into an aerial shot from a drone. Same thing can be done in reverse. Can it be done? Certainly... with just about any good editing software. Is it easy? No. It's a creative process. It's not "plug n play". You need experience to do this.

I'm working on an effect where I'm talking VLOG style on a hand held camera and then it appears to jump from being held up into the air and a drone shot. I'd be splicing the hand held footage right into the drone footage from the same vantage point. Seems easy enough.... it's not.

I really like how that looks would the effect be enhanced if I were to start the drone away of course then get closer and then slightly speed up the clip then add the zoom transition like in that video?

Premiere Pro has some great built-in transition options, and if I'm not mistaken, you can make your own up as well.

I really like how that looks would the effect be enhanced if I were to start the drone away of course then get closer and then slightly speed up the clip then add the zoom transition like in that video?
I'll download that clip and see if I can figure out how the effect was done. I've used something similar. May be easier than it looks.

Reactions: Ripper7620

Here you go. I loaded this into an old version of Adobe Premiere Elements. Advancing the movie one frame at a time I can see it's a A-B cut with an effect applied to each clip. I don't think I have this exact effect but there are similar alternatives you can explore. Most programs come with an assortment of transitions you can drag and drop onto the clips.
upload_2018-5-1_19-59-20.png

upload_2018-5-1_20-0-12.png

upload_2018-5-1_20-0-50.png

upload_2018-5-1_20-1-22.png

Reactions: Ripper7620
I'll download that clip and see if I can figure out how the effect was done. I've used something similar. May be easier than it looks.

He took the GoPro clip and uses a transition that looks like it zooms out. he then does the same transition on a separate drone clip that was done at a different time. The difficult parts are that the camera settings need to allow for the clips to look the same (or cleaned up in post) and that it takes a _long_ time to edit and re-edit them together to make them look that smooth. We see about 3 seconds of video that probably took an hour to edit.

He took the GoPro clip and uses a transition that looks like it zooms out. he then does the same transition on a separate drone clip that was done at a different time. The difficult parts are that the camera settings need to allow for the clips to look the same (or cleaned up in post) and that it takes a _long_ time to edit and re-edit them together to make them look that smooth. We see about 3 seconds of video that probably took an hour to edit.
Matching the clips in terms of color grading can bog you down. Pre-planning your camera settings is key. The effect itself would take about 5 minutes to perfect.

Matching the clips in terms of color grading can bog you down. Pre-planning your camera settings is key. The effect itself would take about 5 minutes to perfect.
Trust me... it takes a lot longer then that.
I should have been more detailed in my explanation. In my work flow, those shots would already have been matched. For me to assemble those pieces together and add the effect (or something like it) would take 5 minutes.

I should have been more detailed in my explanation. In my work flow, those shots would already have been matched. For me to assemble those pieces together and add the effect (or something like it) would take 5 minutes.

Trust me... to get it to look good, it would take a lot longer in post edit. There are a lot of things you don't realize until you start to do the edit. Each clip needs key frames with zoom outs that match up, for example.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan