Help needed: Gimbal issue and which part should I repair?

Reaction score
Hi everyone.
I recently ran into some peculiar issues with my phantom 4 pro gimbal. It has never crashed or landed hard, but I noticed a few days ago that the gimbal started making weird grinding noises upon start-up. I took it up in the air and instantly realized that I was getting gimbal issues such as the roll motor following the camera movement (As if I'm in FPV mode) even though I was clearly in the Follow mode. Every time I yaw to the left or right, the roll motor doesn't keep up to stabilize the horizon. No error messages at all and IMU, ESC all normal (compass too).

I took it down and saw that whenever I move the drone to the left or right (as if I am moving to the left or right, or panning to the left and right), the roll motor cannot keep it stable and tilts the horizon all over the place. This essentially makes it impossible to take smooth footage and the horizon goes off.
I have checked everything and did all the troubleshooting (IMU calibration, compass, gimbal calibration,etc.) but no luck. Any insight as to what may be wrong would be greatly appreciated.. I uploaded the video file in a zip format to show what I mean by gimbal not stabilizing itself.

I would like to send this in for a repair (I'm located in AB, Canada) but am worried of the potential cost and don't know anywhere where they would fix this at a reasonable cost. All the shops I reached out to just want to take the easy route and replace the whole gimbal at a ridiculous cost. As a student, my budget at the moment is a bit tight. From my own research, I have found that the repair may only involve replacing the gimbal ribbon cable or the camera IMU board, but I understand that it's difficult to diagnose without seeing in person.

Can anyone please share if you had the same issue as mine? I just want to know which part is actually malfunctioning, since I've gotten different answers from the repair shops I've reached out to (i.e. could be the roll motor, pitch motor, esc board, IMU board, etc. etc.).

Found this youtube video has the EXACT same issue as mine (as seen in his footage at the end):
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• video-1591589148.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 299
I had exactly the same issue as you and in the video you provided some time back. I replaced the roll motor it didn't work and still had the horizon tilt issue just like in the video...I persevered with it for some months trying all sorts of things like horizon tilt adjustments... multiple calibrations to no avail, in the end I bit the bullet and purchased a new gimbal assembly because eliminating the cause was just causing frustration and there were just too many variables of what the cause might be...you choose but I'm very happy to have a drone that flies great now...good luck with whatever way you decide to go.

Maybe this might be of help? - saw it on ATK drone in Salt Lake City repair for Phantom yaw arm and ribbon. There is a video of the camera acting similar to yours. He makes a yaw arm and ribbon as I understand

Have you found a solution to this? I'm literally dealing with the same exact problem. Literally everything in the video is what I'm experiencing now. I've replaced the main ribbon cable to no avail, done tons of IMU and gimbal calibrations etc. I'm waiting on a gimbal esc to arrive and hopefully that will fix it

I hope this helps someone - I had the same problem on P4P, tried everything. Downgrade to firmware 1.3.0509 is the only thing that has fixed it for me. Gimbal even sounds quieter. No idea why, but I've tried up and downgrading multiple times to see if it might work with newer firmware, but nope.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic