MaxxUAV "Clean Install" Installation Guide

Reaction score
Ahoy hoy! This guide is a still picture version of Jake's video guide that he created, for his "clean install" kit, with a MaxxUAV DBS Antenna. There might also be some super extras bonus pictures at the end :p

First of, let's start with the video guide:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Step 1: Opening the boxes and looking at the content!

Photo-2016-05-06-05-27-46_3833.JPG

Photo-2016-05-06-05-27-53_3834.JPG

Photo-2016-05-06-05-28-19_3835.JPG

Ahh sweet, sweet, toys!

Step 2: Getting your Phantom 4 controller (make sure it is turned off and do not turn it on during any point while the surgery is taking place, especially not with antennas disconnected)

Photo-2016-05-06-15-04-54_3841.JPG

Step 3: Flip over your controller and place it onto a piece of cloth or something to prevent it from constantly sliding around (if you're on a smooth slick surface). Remove the rubber "bumpers" and "feet" at the bottom of the controller by putting your fingers on one side and peeling them away (they're holding on by double sided clear tape).

Photo-2016-05-06-15-11-04_3843.JPG

Step 4: Unscrew the 4 screws that hold the cover for all of the ports and remove the cover.

Photo-2016-05-06-15-14-20_3844.JPG

Step 5: Disconnect the serial cable in the above picture by flipping the black latch that is over the white piece it's held in, then carefully pulling the cable back and out.

Step 6: Grab the bottom of the controller by the metal "legs" and pull back the top portion, exposing the internals. Be careful doing so because there's still a wire attached at the bottom that will need to be disconnected from the motherboard.

Photo-2016-05-06-15-20-03_3845.JPG

Step 7: Disconnect both antenna wires on the right side from the motherboard.

Photo-2016-05-06-15-26-52_3846.JPG

Step 8: Carefully create small slits in the silicone with a blade or a sharp thin knife to remove the gray antenna wires from being glued together to other wires.

Photo-2016-05-06-15-29-25_3847.JPG

Step 9: Remove both wheel controls at the top to remove the wires from underneath them and fully free them.

Photo-2016-05-06-15-34-44_3848.JPG

Step 10: Remove both antennas by either carefully squeezing the clip on the inside and pushing them through or by cutting it off (depending on whether you're planning to save them or not, I went the cut way since I have no interest in stock antennas for any reason)

Photo-2016-05-06-16-17-11_3850.JPG

Step 11: Prepare the antenna cables from the clean install kit.

Photo-2016-05-06-16-18-42_3851.JPG

Step 12: Once you take off the nut and both washers, the order of assembly will be: lock nut pointing towards the top, insert the connectors through the holes where stock antennas used to be, regular washer, nut.

Photo-2016-05-06-16-28-25_3852.JPG

Step 13: Route the antenna cables back to the motherboard in a matter that won't interfere with anything and connect the connectors (make sure they click in securely to make a solid connection).

Step 14: Reinstall the wheel controls and make sure all of the screws are tight and are in place before locking the remote. (Test both wheels to make sure they turn without rubbing against the controller and adjust accordingly if they are).

Photo-2016-05-06-16-43-52_3853.JPG

Step 15: Connect the cable at the bottom of the remote and close in the same direction as you opened, bottom in first then top. Don't forget to feed the serial cable through the hole to connect to the bottom module.

Photo-2016-05-06-16-48-10_3854.JPG

Step 16: Reconnect the serial cable and lock the black latch. Install the cover and tighten all of the screws for it. Place the original 4 screws back into the holes to secure the top and bottom of the controller. Adjust the clear double sided tape if needed and re-apply the bumpers into the locations. (Small feet have notches which only allow you to insert them in one direction and bumpers have little bumps on the sides that go against the C1/C2 buttons.

Photo-2016-05-06-16-58-15_3857.JPG

Photo-2016-05-06-16-57-56_3855.JPG

Photo-2016-05-06-16-58-06_3856.JPG

Photo-2016-05-06-17-02-20_3858.JPG

Step 17: Enjoy!

Last edited:
Nice pics there Ramphex ,I've not even brought a bird yet but I've been watching this forum for about a month now and been picking up so much information and tips. Think by the time I'm ready to buy the bird(a p4 I think )I will know so much more including this upgrade.I live in Australia (Adelaide) there's not many pilots here like the states , and not many people like Jakes company , who I will definitely use , so keep up the good work in educating people like myself I really appreciate the help and tips that you all pass on thank you all again ....Tred...

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Sim597 and Ramphex
Thanks a lot buddy, Jake so far has been very helpful with everything. Great products. This guide isn't anyhow to compete with his but simply to provide a still picture version of his video version of it.

I cannot friggin WAIT!!!
Does he send the Sunhans in their original boxes and everything? Then it's up to us to put it all together?
If so, that's even better as far as I am concerned, I'd rather have all the pieces even battery in packaging, and go from there. I thought he was sending us just the parts, no product boxing?
The boosters and antenna should be sent out next week to me

I cannot friggin WAIT!!!
Does he send the Sunhans in their original boxes and everything? Then it's up to us to put it all together?
If so, that's even better as far as I am concerned, I'd rather have all the pieces even battery in packaging, and go from there. I thought he was sending us just the parts, no product boxing?
The boosters and antenna should be sent out next week to me
You get all the nice little boxes and instructions to take apart like Christmas morning. Plus you get extra cables (the nice ones) to use. :)

Gawd, I feel like I'm in a cult and I drank the Kool-Aid with Jake being the cult leader! LOL

Last edited:
Reactions: phantom13flyer
You get all the nice little boxes and instructions to take apart like Christmas morning. Plus you get extra cables (the nice ones) to use. :)

Gawd, I feel like I'm in a cult and I drank the Kool-Aid with Jake being the cult leader! LOL
Lol, awesome!
I know, he's a good guy too, I hope his company does well because we all make out as a whole when we have a good place to send our $$$. So far I've gotten the upgraded cables, now I've got the big antenna coming (I didn't even know about) and the boosters when his stock come in.

I expect nothing short of friggin miraculous results between the 14dB ant. Boosted by those awesome new Sunhans.

Awesome write up! Thanks for doing this Ramphex! You da man :)

Reactions: Ramphex
Just finished the second clean install on my GL300B. Was a bit apprehensive considering all the press on poor plastic material used on the RC. But it went without a hitch and smoother the second time around. Too bad the weather is not cooperating, otherwise I'd be out testing both units and antennae to see how they're performing compared to previous flights.

Just finished the second clean install on my GL300B. Was a bit apprehensive considering all the press on poor plastic material used on the RC. But it went without a hitch and smoother the second time around. Too bad the weather is not cooperating, otherwise I'd be out testing both units and antennae to see how they're performing compared to previous flights.

I too am updating an already modded out 300B with the terrible crappy plastics, the BS I went thru, it wasn't as well documented only a few months ago even, I was glad to see Jake address the "B" series on his site, it gives me a little validation, if vendors are talking about it, it adds some weight to the problem. I wish DJI would replace our shells, they should just send new back and front shells, maybe I'll ask them.

So you just put the kit together then, nice, let us know what's up! I'll have to redo mine because I did the first mod the old school way, not sure how that was going to go together so Jake is sending a clean kit to rework it, I've got a new glue gun with white glue coming, hoping to press it together one last time after checking, and that will be the last until maybe it needs a battery.

Good luck on the testing, if I can get two miles in my environment with boosters and humungous antenna, I'll be good, and 4 miles in the open I'd also be good, I don't think I'm asking for the moon and actually think it'll out do those benchmarks.

I've been looking at Inline filters, for GPS and other bands Indont want to trounce on when operating, I've not read anyone having servo or other issues with crosstalk, but more for my neighbors and ppl I don't want to interfere with when flying, last thing I want is someone's WiFi signal to drop off everytime they briefly hear me take off! Lol

Yes, quite a bit of extra weight for a nice arm work out.

I find the whole rig sits nice in my lap while I'm flying (I sit when I fly, actually I sit all the time) so no real arm fatigue here but I guess you could kill two birds with one stone and skip the gym on flying days

Re the Maxxuav "clean install" does any UK member know if there are any UK stockists for the "clean install cables", many thanks.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31