If you use a GoPro 3 or 4, DO NOT update the firmware!

Reaction score
GoPro has disabled the usb video out for the 3 and 4 cameras in their latest firmware release. So, if you use your GP for fpv flying and get the video feed from the usb port this latest update will no longer allow you to get the video to your fpv transmitter. According to GoPro themselves, from now on only the HDMI port will have video out. This, of course, is digital video that would have to be converted before feeding to the fpv transmitter.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I got it last week when I got on the app 4B I don't fly with my 4 . Not sure why it's not listed on the site but if you use the app I bet you get it .(phone app)

As far as I've heard, it's only for the 3. I have the most current firmware on my 4 Black, and it works fine. The 4 has to be connected by the side USB, and I've had no issues. My 4 has been updated since the beginning of August.

Last edited:
Hey y'all. This was my exact problem. You can read my thread below for additional information. The workaround that was posted at the top of this thread worked for me.

My thread with the same issue:
GoPro not working after update on Zenmuze H3-3D | DJI Phantom Forum

I booted up my drone and GoPro WITHOUT plugging in the Zenmuse USB. Then I started the recording and then plugged in the Zenmuse USB and it continued to record and transferred video through my FPV system. Once I finished recording and pushed the shutter button, it kicks back into its "I don't want to trasfer your video" mode and looks like it's just charging so to start recording again you would have to unplug the USB, push the shutter button and plug the USB back in.​

The workaround for the GoPro 3+ silver/black does work for those who have updated to v3.02 and v3.03. It was confirmed by jrharrison45 today.

Why is this coming out now for a release that was in July?

I was kinda thinking the same... but I have a Hero4, and mine has been updated since I think mid-July or so. Glad this isn't happening to the 4's...

This must be specific to HERO 3+ and the Zenmuse gimbal.
I don't have a H3+ to test but the H3+ is the only GoPro that has had a recent FW update available,v03.03 for Black & v03.02 for Silver,September 2 2015.
HERO 3 v03.00,July 29 2013.
HERO 4 v03.00,July 30 2015.
Both my H3 Black and my H4 Silver are working fine on my gimbals,not Zenmuse, and the FPV systems.

I think the moment the gopro detects charge and computer connection, it disables video output. The (possible) work around is to disable the h33d charging via the usb port. This can be done by disconnecting the usb attachment and then use thin sticky tape and taping the top contacts of the flex cable, leaving the 2 lower contacts exposed for video output.

Please remember that usb charging is disabled and if you run out of batteries mid flight, you will be fpv blind.

I could be wrong, but this may be coming up now as GoPro users were warned about losing the ability to USB transfer files to a computer after the update as well. I should be more clear, to transfer, they would need to use the GoPro applications, and the camera would not come up as a file folder like it does prior to update. So many GoPro users held off doing the firmware update like me.

This may have only been true on the H3 models. Since I have an H3+Black, I held off doing the firmware update. I like just plugging my camera in and dragging the files across.

Now knowing that live video will be lost too, there is no way I will do the update. And it's a pain, as every time I plug my camera in, GoPro Studio asks to update my firmware. I may have to unload GP studio as I have no need for it.

As far as the workaround of plugging in the USB cable after hitting the shutter, no thank you. I would suggest reverting firmware if possible. I don't like pressing buttons on the camera while the gimbal is live, let alone plugging in that cable.

Thanks for the heads up. Good luck everyone!

Pretty accurate ;) Their brining out their own drone...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-05-08 at 21.01.11.png
    Screen Shot 2016-05-08 at 21.01.11.png
    3 MB · Views: 1,106
I have no idea what your talking about. I'm running 2 phantoms, one with a GoPro hero 4 black 5.00v firmware. My second has a 3+ black with 3.03. no issues at all with fpv system. Still running it right out of the USB cable to the h3-3d. I personally have had no problems at all.

No issues running DJI phantom 2 with either 3+ black 3.03v and 4 black 5.00v. both work fine with the hd-3d, and h4-3d. Have no idea why this post even came up.

Sorry to bring up a old post. I think I have being hit with this. Although I don't even remember updating my go pro. I have a hero 3 not the plus model. This is on v3.0.

When I turn the GoPro on the screen come on then about 3 seconds later it will go blank,

I'm using a zenmuse h33d fat shark sender

Please help

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31