DJI Phantom 4 Pro/ App Malfuction

Reaction score
My drone crashed in the water after my App crashed. DJI just wants to give me 15% off a new one instead of replacing it. Has anyone else ran into this kind of issue?

So tell us your story on why it crashed with just the app crashing? What was happening in the flight? Did you recover the drone at all?

Sorry for your loss.

Technically you should be able to fly P4P without the Go4 app though not advisable as you will miss the alarms. I know app crashing makes one nervous one may initiate wrong steps.

Secondly there are multiple reasons for app to crash.

If you are sure that app crash and P4 loss were results of something wrong with RC, then you can definitely talk further with DJI.

Reactions: K9VXV
If it crashed due to pilot error, then that's a very generous offer on DJI's part.

I took off from a cliff of the coast of San Diego, I started by flying up and down the coast, the app had started shutting off on flight(3 times to be exact) I noticed that the drone was losing altitude from the start.(no wind) There was a surfer about 20 yards off the coast. I started active tracking on him,(put it in profile mode) worked the first time. I raised the altitude about 5 feet because I noticed it was losing altitude again. The app went out again, I had to reload it. I put it back in tracking mode, but the drone just stayed in its location before it started heading the opposite direction and crashed in the water. Life guards took me on a boat to try and recovery it. No luck. I call DJI to start a claim, update my flight records.They sent a response saying it was my fault. 1.I have the last video of it's flight and it clearly shows it wasn't in profile mode 2.The flight records have me taking off from the ocean 5 minutes after I took off (DJI stated that it should start recording as soon as the engine turns on)3.When the app went out,I pressed the home button and it went up and down in the ocean.

Might not a great idea to be doing all this fancy tracking and follow stuff over the water! Especially if your new to this drone. Second, did you wait for the DJI lady to say your Homepoint has been recorded, please check it on the map? I would really get to know your drone in and out before you start flying over water too. Learning how to fly it manually is the best so you know what to do when there is trouble.

Reactions: GraverCraft
This is not my first drone,I'm a helicopter mech.Yes it did home point.
Might not a great idea to be doing all this fancy tracking and follow stuff over the water! Especially if your new to this drone. Second, did you wait for the DJI lady to say your Homepoint has been recorded, please check it on the map? I would really get to know your drone in and out before you start flying over water too. Learning how to fly it manually is the best so you know what to do when there is trouble.

Reactions: KevMo Photog
Sorry for your loss.

Technically you should be able to fly P4P without the Go4 app though not advisable as you will miss the alarms. I know app crashing makes one nervous one may initiate wrong steps.

Secondly there are multiple reasons for app to crash.

If you are sure that app crash and P4 loss were results of something wrong with RC, then you can definitely talk further with DJI.
They said they would give me 15% off a new one, not the reply I wanted

Ok gotcha! But, if your app was crashing I'm curious why you were still messing with the water and the surfer? Instead of just bringing it back over land and trying to figure out whats causing your app to crash?
You have to turn the app back on to get into active tracking to change anything

Hindsight is 20 20 of course, But I think your best course of action in a like scenario would be to toggle between sport or atti and back to P mode. This would at least cancel the mission and presumably give you full control at the sticks.

Hope it all works out for you.

This is not my first drone,I'm a helicopter mech.
I'm not a helicopter mech, but I'm guessing that knowledge is not that helpful if one wants to have a deep understanding of how DJI drones work. No?

Why did DJI say it was your fault?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic