DJI Phantom 4 Pro/ App Malfuction

This is not my first drone,I'm a helicopter mech.Yes it did home point.
Homepoint to where? Your scenario sounds like homepoint was set to AC, not RC.
In that case the AC goes down where it is if connection has been lost.

For IOS just connect it to ITunes and check the application data section for your logs under the DJI application and save. For Android they are located in the DJI folder on the data partition. Sorry to hear about your loss. I know it must be painful. I have been flying my P4P over a few hundred acres and in my shop testing all the different modes and playing with scenarios just to see what will happen so I don't lose her. Your situation was not intended but remember we have all been learning from others here and your loss will help us understand what we can all do to keep these machines safe and protect our investments. The good news is that you can replace it and for all you know until the logs are reviewed, it may have been some type of other issue. I have seen issues where people have bad batteries that cause strange issues so don't feel too bad. This is unrelated but I bought some speakers from some dudes off of a truck once and

Attachments

• Entire studio 2nd choice.jpg
    Entire studio 2nd choice.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 491
Reactions: K9VXV
For IOS just connect it to ITunes and check the application data section for your logs under the DJI application and save. For Android they are located in the DJI folder on the data partition. Sorry to hear about your loss. I know it must be painful. I have been flying my P4P over a few hundred acres and in my shop testing all the different modes and playing with scenarios just to see what will happen so I don't lose her. Your situation was not intended but remember we have all been learning from others here and your loss will help us understand what we can all do to keep these machines safe and protect our investments. The good news is that you can replace it and for all you know until the logs are reviewed, it may have been some type of other issue. I have seen issues where people have bad batteries that cause strange issues so don't feel too bad. This is unrelated but I bought some speakers from some dudes off of a truck once and lost almost half a Phantom.
Flight records

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2017-03-07_[14-28-46].txt
    605.3 KB · Views: 221
Reactions: KevMo Photog
I can't help but think something when I read this... What if it had hit that surfer? Did you know him and ask if he minded you filming near him? If not, that's really irresponsible to just active track a random person with a malfunctioning drone. Seems to me this could've ended much worse. You're actually lucky to just be out a drone and not have a huge lawsuit on your hands. Please fly more responsibly as stuff like that makes us all look bad, and will only add more restrictions to everyone who does take the proper precautions. Not trying to pile on, but please use common sense and caution wherever you fly, especially near people.

I can't help but think something when I read this... What if it had hit that surfer? Did you know him and ask if he minded you filming near him? If not, that's really irresponsible to just active track a random person with a malfunctioning drone. Seems to me this could've ended much worse. You're actually lucky to just be out a drone and not have a huge lawsuit on your hands. Please fly more responsibly as stuff like that makes us all look bad, and will only add more restrictions to everyone who does take the proper precautions. Not trying to pile on, but please use common sense and caution wherever you fly, especially near people.
Frown! He's a big boy!

I had a RTH failure crash. Drone was beyond repair so DJI looked at the flight data and determined it was obviously a software glitch bc they sent me a new p4. This happened in January. Got the new bird and it had a weird beeping sound so I sent that one back and they again sent me a new p4. This one is perfect. Not sure why they wouldn't do the same if it was in fact an app issue on their part but it looks like DJI is saying it was from "pilot error"

Last edited:
Very sorry to hear that you lost your quad copter. I had a P3P that Dudu a fly away. We went back and forth and the best they would do is 50% off. Others told me in advance that was their limit.

Sorry for off topic question but does this apply with a phantom 3 advanced as well?homepoint can be set to controller or ac?
I guess why DJI is saying its pilot's fault cause in case of app crash, the best move is to press stop on RC to cancel the tracking and restart when app is live. This is the way RC can be used to save the aircraft in case app crashes.

Unfortunately there is no way currently for RC to know if app has crashed and thus it continues tracking.

Also not sure what happens if the surfer falls and goes under water. I believe tracking surfers is a skillful task.

I'm not sure how RTH works in tracking mode.

I suggest negotiate for more but if not successful accept 15%, don't lose it.

So sorry for your loss...and frustration. We empathize with you and with your interest in flying over water. So, as a gesture of our empathy please feel free to email me directly for a %20 discount code for our WaterStrider landing gear for Phantoms, which allows landing on water among other terrain. It also facilitates recovery if your drone happens to die over water.

Assuming you'll acquire another P4 Pro, you will want to hold out for our P4P version coming very soon.

My email is [email protected]

Ok gotcha! But, if your app was crashing I'm curious why you were still messing with the water and the surfer? Instead of just bringing it back over land and trying to figure out whats causing your app to crash?

That's what I was thinking.... app is having issues I'm bringing her in for the day....or at least, getting it back over dry land and out of any sort of autopilot mode.

Never heard this kind of feature before, or i missed something? No without pilot input to reset homepoint.

Never heard this kind of feature before, or i missed something? No without pilot input to reset homepoint.

I think he's saying in a situation where the home point gets set accidentally to AC location while over the water. Like maybe upon the application reconnecting or something I'm not sure. But my guess here, when we ever see the logs is that it was just too low over the water and it was doing a normal up and down and then dipped too low and kissed the water. Either that or the active track continued to follow something and then it had a collision and fell into the water. Because we would think that if it lost RC or APP connection it would then pause or cancel intelligent flight and hover and then start a go home. But what if the RTH altitude was set incorrectly and it hit a cliff or something instead on the loss of signal return to home? Just my theory's here as to what could have happened because it should hover for a few seconds before initiating RTH right?

Reactions: sinxa
Sorry for off topic question but does this apply with a phantom 3 advanced as well?homepoint can be set to controller or ac?

I am not sure but I would think so. It would just be a feature of the application for something like that. That bird has a follow me mode right?

It has happened to some that while being nervous as the situation becomes difficult, they mess up the home point setting and accidentally hit the button for "Homepoint at AC". (You can continously set a new homepoint unless you have precision landing activated.)

For some reason I don't understand the P3A even has a "dynamic" homepoint feature which is not available for the P4P!?

02.png

Reactions: sinxa and K9VXV

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4