Compass Error, Yaw Error

Reaction score
Hi guys

P3S, 1.7.90 FW and 3.1.0 IOS DGI Go

This is a 3 week old Phantom 3S. On the first flights, apart from Strong Interference errors, all was good.
Last weekend it got a lot of compass errors, dropping into atti. I send the flight logs to DJI and they responded with a RMA authorisation for repair.

Before sending back I decided to test again today. Similar conditions, around 5C dropping to 3C, no wind, good sats. I did a IMU calibration last night, and compass cal before flying. Compass mod looked good - around 1550.

flying site is the shore well away from anything, no metal, no radio towers, no wifi.

However, same errors this time, plus a new one to me - yaw error.
I was able to fairly reliably reproduce the error by slowly rotating CW, then when it was pointing approximately West it would give a compass error warning, drop to atti. Continuing the rotation past west would clear the error (mostly).
I did also get a few errors when it was pointing east - so the west may just be a coincidence, but I replicated it many times. Strangely, rotating CCW didn't cause the error.

Here is the phantomlog from the 1st flight Phantom Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com
and the healthydrones from the same flight HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

There are more flight logs from subsequent flights, but I haven't checked them yet.

So, DJI have offered a RMA. However, that means sending to Netherlands and being without a quad until some time in January, with no guarantee of a fix. I'm thinking the better option would be to return to the retailer (argos) for a refund and get a new new one - perhaps stump up the extra and get a P3A.
Any thoughts?

I would have taken it back to Argos already, and yes I would go the extra for the "A". Think the S does not have Glonass, but I may be wrong. My old P2 V never got more than 7-8 satellites, my new P4 gets at least 17 every time.
I assume you are from Southport, and flying on Ainsdale sands, great location.

Reactions: PaulSouthport
Hi, yes I do fly at Ainsdale, lots of room and not many people!
You are correct, no glonass on the S, but it generally gets 10 to 12 sats.
I've just sold my P2V and am beginning to regret it!

Yes, I've tried 3 locations with similar errors at each

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
Yes I would take it back, and go for the advanced, I look at the P3S working correctly is about the same as the P2V, My experience of what I have now, P3S**t.

And I looked at your flight log.

Rod

thumb-up-terminator pablo M R.jpg

Rod

Did a couple more flights before taking the bird back for replacement - weather was kind so be rude not to.
I did a few tests to see what circumstances the compass error happens..

The direction each of the 2 steps of calibration finish, ie when the lights say OK, is the direction the drone must be pointing, rotating CW, to cause the error. Thats with the calibration dome CCW. If the calibration is done clockwise, then the error happens in the direction of the calibration finish, when rotating CCW.

I can rotate on the spot continuously and get the error on every single rotation when pointing in the same direction.
Odd! Seems this particular Phantom is a bit of Zoolander - not an ambi-turner
Still, will be replaced during the week, but if anyone else sees repeated compass errors....

Reactions: RodPad
Did a couple more flights before taking the bird back for replacement - weather was kind so be rude not to.

The direction each of the 2 steps of calibration finish, ie when the lights say OK, is the direction the drone must be pointing, rotating CW, to cause the error. Thats with the calibration dome CCW. If the calibration is done clockwise, then the error happens in the direction of the calibration finish, when rotating CCW.

I can rotate on the spot continuously and get the error on every single rotation when pointing in the same direction.
Still, will be replaced during the week, but if anyone else sees repeated compass errors....

Does the error occur when pointing towards Morecome Bay????

I have similar problem. I have my bird over a year, and compass problem started after upgrading 1.7.90 FW. Looks like compass sensitivity has been increased or something.
I fly yesterday in urban area, when I rise my bird 50meters up, I get a compass error and atti mode. Wind almost blew my phantom away, however I managed to come back.
When tried 2nd time, lost connection with drone (it was 150 away from me).
Problem does not appear when I use Litchi app. It gives more stable signal and better range.

Wow, thanks for the update!

Rod

I also have a hubsan & many people on that forum have problems after updating FW. I've also seen on "the tube" good reports about litchi. think this could be the way forward?

I think Litchi would potentially be disastrous with this issue, if it's flying autonomously and loses compass and GPS signal - if it's close to or beyond visual/radio range, bye bye!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.