Compass Error, Yaw Error

Finally fitted a new compass last night, and did a quick test flight today.

For anyone in the same situation - part 71 is for the standard, part 29 for the pro/advanced.
Fitting was fairly straightforward. Opening the shell is fiddly, there are retaining clips along the arms and in the in the mid points of the shell. You'll need a T6 and T8 Torx bits, then after unscrewing the bolts and prising the arms apart I put a screwdriver between the top and bottom parts of each arm to stop it snapping back closed, making popping the center part fairly easy.

The flight was done in the same location as last time - where I was getting constant and easily reproducible errors. The only difference, which is still a Q in my mind, is the temp. Last flights it was around 4C - 5C. Today it was 12C and very windy (24mph).

After a compass calibration I attempted to induce a compass error by rotating at full yaw both CW and CCW. I did this about 20 times in each direction at different locations on the flight path.

No errors. Not a single one.

I then did some fairly aggressive moves side to side, rotating, braking hard - still no errors. In fact, this is the 1st P3 flight I have had with no errors.

:) <--- that's me now.

now - stop raining!

Reactions: Necroscope
Fantastic result Paul, well done.

How much was the part and have you thought about trying to claim it back from DJI?

One of the things I noticed when doing compass calibration was need to rotate more than 360 deg to get the lights and Go App to acknowledge. I had to rotate about 380 degrees or so ... I also notice that the DJI Tutorial video - the guy on there rotates more than 360 ....

Nigel

Last edited:
Just had to replace the compass on mine also,2 flights in no compass error even flying in different location without recalibrating the compass for 2nd location.

Sent from my SM-T550 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers