A Lucky Day!

OOO

Reaction score
While filming a mountain peak recently, I suddenly lost control of my drone for a few seconds, but quickly regained control and managed to save the drone just before hitting the mountain. Later, when I watched the footage, I thought that this might be due to a bird attack or strong wind. But I may be wrong. What do you think? Thanks.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Wow. ;)

I don't think it was either one.

I would up load your flight log from your mobile device to here: DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help

Share the result url back here if you want somebody to look at at.

What Phantom were you flying and was it DJI-Go?

Rod

Reactions: OOO
There instructions for that are on the link:

When you see the prop wash on the video was that on its own?
If a bird hit it you usually see a jolt or a bounce in the video.

Rod

There instructions for that are on the link:

When you see the prop wash on the video was that on its own?
If a bird hit it you usually see a jolt or a bounce in the video.

Rod

I really don't remember much about it. It could be a pilloting error.

Yeah,
You need somebody to look at that. @Fly Dawg, @sar104.

About how many mins in the flight is the video you posted...

Rod

Wow, another P4 with zero satellite count, I don't know if this means diddly but it sure is weird.
Your log at: 8min 41s

I just had made this post about P4s and zero satellite count.
Litchi Flight Phantom 4 A Did Not Return

Rod

Last edited:
Wow, another P4 with zero satellite count, I don't know if this means diddly but it sure is weird.
Your log at:8min 41s

I just had made this post about P4s and zero satellite count.
Litchi Flight Phantom 4 A Did Not Return

Rod

When the number of satellites is zero, the drone appears to be exactly where I lost control. I think that explains everything. Still, I'd appreciate it if I could get a comment from the masters.

Reactions: RodPad
@OOO .....Agreed as above. The sudden "bump" you noticed was the recovery from a GPS dropout. The aircraft never switched to ATTI and recovered. You can see the pitch down then large pitch up when GPS recovered.

1572995301943.png

That was AMAZING scenery! Great save! I honestly have no idea what happened, but it was epic!
How did you get your hyperlapse so smooth where the speed up video was? Mine always are shaky.
While filming a mountain peak recently, I suddenly lost control of my drone for a few seconds, but quickly regained control and managed to save the drone just before hitting the mountain. Later, when I watched the footage, I thought that this might be due to a bird attack or strong wind. But I may be wrong. What do you think? Thanks.

@OOO .....Agreed as above. The sudden "bump" you noticed was the recovery from a GPS dropout. The aircraft never switched to ATTI and recovered. You can see the pitch down then large pitch up when GPS recovered.

View attachment 115433

Thank you very much. Is it a normal behavior during GPS loss? And why drone did not switch into ATTI mode? I remember that I responded very quickly to save the drone. But I really don’t remember what were my stick moves before the event.

Reactions: RodPad
@OOO,

"And why drone did not switch into ATTI mode?"

I think it was some kind of timing issue, it was only .5 seconds.
Maybe not enough time to give you a warning and or message.

If you want more info? Supply the .dat file from the Phantoms Black Box "SD Card"

Here is link with some instructions.

The files are large, if you want to share them your going need dropbox, gdrive, onedrive, etc.

Rod

That was AMAZING scenery! Great save! I honestly have no idea what happened, but it was epic!
How did you get your hyperlapse so smooth where the speed up video was? Mine always are shaky.

Thank you. I love to make drone lapse videos and usually put at least one drone lapse clip in my videos. I'm not an expert but my humble suggestions are as follows:
1) There must be some movement (such as clouds, cars or people).
2) Don't flight the aircraft manually.
3) Use one of the intelligent flight modes. My favorite modes for this purpose are waypoint, POI and tap to fly modes.
4) Set the drone speed as low as possible. You can adjust the speed up to 0.4 km per hour in waypoint and POI mode. My sweet spot for the speed is 0.7 km/h. In tap to fly mode I was not able to lower the speed below 3 km/h. I don't like drone lapse clips recorded at this speed. In addition, in tap to fly mode the drone often performs automatic course correction maneuvers and I don't like it. Thus, I stopped using this mode for drone lapse videos.
5) Lock the exposure during the flight to avoid flickering.
6) The footage will always be very shaky. You can stabilize shaky footage in post. I use FCPX for editing and it often does a pretty good job regarding with stabilization. But if the wind is strong during the flight it may be very difficult to stabilize the footage. Unfortunately, the best scenes for the lapse videos always appear on windy days :)
Good luck!

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the in depth explanation! I do shoot in manual exposure with ND filters but I've never tried waypoints mode. I'm gonna try that! Thanks!
Thank you. I love to make drone lapse videos and usually put at least one drone lapse clip in my videos. I'm not an expert but my humble suggestions are as follows:
1) There must be some movement (such as clouds, cars or people).
2) Don't flight the aircraft manually.
3) Use one of the intelligent flight modes. My favorite modes for this purpose are waypoint, POI and tap to fly modes.
4) Set the drone speed as low as possible. You can adjust the speed up to 0.4 km per hour in waypoint and POI mode. My sweet spot for the speed is 0.7 km/h. In tap to fly mode I was not able to lower the speed below 3 km/h. I don't like drone lapse clips recorded at this speed. In addition, in tap to fly mode the drone often performs automatic course correction maneuvers and I don't like it. Thus, I stopped using this mode for drone lapse videos.
5) Lock the exposure during the flight to avoid flickering.
6) The footage will always be very shaky. You can stabilize shaky footage in post. I use FCPX for editing and it often does a pretty good job regarding with stabilization. But if the wind is strong during the flight it may be very difficult to stabilize the footage. Unfortunately, the best scenes for the lapse videos always appear on windy days :)
Good luck!

What kind of drone? Do you have OA? Was it on?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic