DJI Support is Good while also confusing

Reaction score
TLDR - DJI support is asking me to ship my functioning drone with "No activation records found" in to them.

I've been lucky enough not to have to use DJI Support very often, but in the past when I have, they've done right by me.

Example: Recently, I took out one of my two Phantom 4 Pro v2.0s. I was flying in clear open skies, client looking over my shoulder as we framed a photo when suddenly "Aircraft Disconnected" - Later we found the drone smashed into bits on a concrete parking lot, no clue why it crashed. I am out of warranty, but I do love my P4 Pro so I decided to send it in for repairs.

How impressive: They paid for shipping to them, despite it being out of warranty and not their fault. I got a repair quote the same night as they day it arrived at their repair center. I thought it was junk, turns out only $476 including return shipping. Two days later (over a weekend!) it's repaired and I'm awaiting it's return. DJI Support: WIN!

While waiting for this one to be repaired I took out my spare Phantom 4 Pro v2.0 and discovered two things. A little piece of plastic off one of the landing legs had come off, not broken just missing. And I was reminded of something I meant to fix a while ago. I was missing a screw from the bracket on my RC that holds the Phone/Tablet to the controller. Both of these are my fault and this unit is also out of warranty.

I wrote [email protected] and sent photos of what I was missing and asked what it would take to replace them. In my inbox right now is an email telling me my cost is $2 (including shipping?) and, talk about coincidence, I have a $2 credit in the DJI store (how/why I have no clue). So, basically, they are sending me my two missing parts for free. DJI Support: WIN!

As I was doing all the above I checked my activation status (forgotten care? in warranty?) of the working drone. Now, I bought both drones used from random persons via FB Marketplace in my hometown. I was able to fire up DJI Go and take off and fly both for years. I was never asked to Activate either drone. No issues.

While checking activation one drone showed up (using either the internal or external serial numbers) normally. The other drone, trying both numbers, shows up as "No Activation Records Found". So, given the success above I figured, why not try trusty ol'DJI support again.

So, I send off an email saying, basically, "Hi, I have a P4Pv2 that shows "No Activation Record found" but it's been working fine and I wonder if we could activate it. Here are both the internal and external serial numbers" and based on experience and reading in forums: I also attached my proof of purchase. I just need them to insert my serial number(s) into their database so my OCD can be calmed lol

I get a reply, "We cannot determine this is your drone. Please create a repair ticket and ship the drone to us for examination."

I send the proof of purchase again, I remind them I've been flying just fine. I point out to them I also upload my Flight Records to their server regularly so they can just look and see that, in fact, I've been flying a P4Pv2 with that serial number and even see the geographical location matches my purchase address for several flights. I just want them to update their records on their server, there is nothing wrong with the drone and I'm using DJI Go without issue.

Reply, "Please send the drone to us" and that's it.

DJI Support: WTF!

I do not understand why I have to do this. I get that they'll pay for my shipping - but what happens if they get it, find nothing wrong (fixing the activation or not) and then charge me shipping both ways since no repair work was performed (as I've read has happened to others).

Point of my post: Anyone have any experience with missing Activation Records? Anyone have to send their drone in for non-repair work?

TLDR - DJI support is asking me to ship my functioning drone with "No activation records found" in to them.

I've been lucky enough not to have to use DJI Support very often, but in the past when I have, they've done right by me.

Example: Recently, I took out one of my two Phantom 4 Pro v2.0s. I was flying in clear open skies, client looking over my shoulder as we framed a photo when suddenly "Aircraft Disconnected" - Later we found the drone smashed into bits on a concrete parking lot, no clue why it crashed. I am out of warranty, but I do love my P4 Pro so I decided to send it in for repairs.

How impressive: They paid for shipping to them, despite it being out of warranty and not their fault. I got a repair quote the same night as they day it arrived at their repair center. I thought it was junk, turns out only $476 including return shipping. Two days later (over a weekend!) it's repaired and I'm awaiting it's return. DJI Support: WIN!

While waiting for this one to be repaired I took out my spare Phantom 4 Pro v2.0 and discovered two things. A little piece of plastic off one of the landing legs had come off, not broken just missing. And I was reminded of something I meant to fix a while ago. I was missing a screw from the bracket on my RC that holds the Phone/Tablet to the controller. Both of these are my fault and this unit is also out of warranty.

I wrote [email protected] and sent photos of what I was missing and asked what it would take to replace them. In my inbox right now is an email telling me my cost is $2 (including shipping?) and, talk about coincidence, I have a $2 credit in the DJI store (how/why I have no clue). So, basically, they are sending me my two missing parts for free. DJI Support: WIN!

As I was doing all the above I checked my activation status (forgotten care? in warranty?) of the working drone. Now, I bought both drones used from random persons via FB Marketplace in my hometown. I was able to fire up DJI Go and take off and fly both for years. I was never asked to Activate either drone. No issues.

While checking activation one drone showed up (using either the internal or external serial numbers) normally. The other drone, trying both numbers, shows up as "No Activation Records Found". So, given the success above I figured, why not try trusty ol'DJI support again.

So, I send off an email saying, basically, "Hi, I have a P4Pv2 that shows "No Activation Record found" but it's been working fine and I wonder if we could activate it. Here are both the internal and external serial numbers" and based on experience and reading in forums: I also attached my proof of purchase. I just need them to insert my serial number(s) into their database so my OCD can be calmed lol

I get a reply, "We cannot determine this is your drone. Please create a repair ticket and ship the drone to us for examination."

I send the proof of purchase again, I remind them I've been flying just fine. I point out to them I also upload my Flight Records to their server regularly so they can just look and see that, in fact, I've been flying a P4Pv2 with that serial number and even see the geographical location matches my purchase address for several flights. I just want them to update their records on their server, there is nothing wrong with the drone and I'm using DJI Go without issue.

Reply, "Please send the drone to us" and that's it.

DJI Support: WTF!

I do not understand why I have to do this. I get that they'll pay for my shipping - but what happens if they get it, find nothing wrong (fixing the activation or not) and then charge me shipping both ways since no repair work was performed (as I've read has happened to others).

Point of my post: Anyone have any experience with missing Activation Records? Anyone have to send their drone in for non-repair work?
I'm sure they wish to confirm that the drone hasn't been tampered with, and that it is indeed a DJI drone. I've not heard of counterfeit DJI drones in the marketplace, but I wouldn't dismiss that possibility completely. OR it may have a bad chip or something like that. They have the diagnostic tools for that. I see their point that they wish to eliminate the obvious before diving down the rabbit hole of account issues.

D

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20