A Lucky Day!

He said it was a P4P+ ... isn’t OA disabled when doing waypoint missions?
Not sure when using Go4. It’s not disabled with a Litchi waypoint mission AFAIR. They both use the SDK so I’m not sure why Go4 would turn it off. But I could be wrong.

Reactions: RodPad
OA must had stop the drone. But the video is really nice watch. At FPV tbings look closer than thay really are.
Did you ever during that flight consider to finish it instantly? It seems that you remained very cool in spite of that warnings about the position and speed errors.

Reactions: OOO
OA must had stop the drone. But the video is really nice watch. At FPV tbings look closer than thay really are.
Did you ever during that flight consider to finish it instantly? It seems that you remained very cool in spite of that warnings about the position and speed errors.

I usually keep my eyes on the aircraft instead of screen during flights. Before and after the event noting was unusual. There were 16-17 satellites with good signal quality. It lasted less than 1 second and I really don’t remember any warning or error messages during the event. After saving the drone, again I didn’t notice any warning or error message.

This was a manual flight. I don’t use intelligent flight modes except for drone lapses. After the event, I continued to film those mountains while pulling back the aircraft.

I love to fly in tight spots and close to the ground, water, mountains and canyon walls. Thus, most of the time I turn OA and VPS off.

Last edited:
Before and after the event noting was unusual. There were 16-17 satellites with good signal quality. It lasted less than 1 second and I really don’t remember any warning or error messages regarding with the flight during the event. After saving the drone, again I didn’t notice any warning or error message.
Just for the sake of notation, below is your flight path which shows where the GPS dropout occurred. The sat count recovered in less than 1 second, however, the NavHealth took a bit longer. Generally when that number drops below 4 the aircraft will switch to ATTI, but in this case it did not. It could be firmware related such as a change in the timing interval, but this I am unsure of.

Capture2.PNG

Reactions: RodPad and OOO
Just for the sake of notation, below is your flight path which shows where the GPS dropout occurred. The sat count recovered in less than 1 second, however, the NavHealth took a bit longer. Generally when that number drops below 4 the aircraft will switch to ATTI, but in this case it did not. It could be firmware related such as a change in the timing interval, but this I am unsure of.

View attachment 115446

Very nice work! Again many thanks for your efforts. When the drone goes into ATTI mode it usually takes much longer to recover. But it this case it occurred in less than one second. This is strange. I didn’t notice any “aircraft disconnected” message during the flight. I don’t know if the drone responded my stick moves correctly during the event. But as soon as I realized that it was about to hit the mountain, I immediately push the left stick all the way up and the drone responded accordingly. Do you see any other abnormal behavior in this flight? Any piloting error?

VLOS is a must of safe flying but it is almost impossible estimate the distance between the drone and the obstacle if it is a few 100m from you, in particular if you are watching the drone from backward. From aside it is much easier. I speak for myself of course but I thing that this is the same with others.
This is a bit of topic but I just put the comment about what you said that you always watch the drone and not the display.
It is also true that those popups of warnings appear much to short on the screen and can be easily overlooked.

Reactions: OOO and RodPad
GPS wasn't lost in this incident. Instead navHealth went to 0 which then caused the Go App to stop reporting the the number of satellites. The .DAT will show actual numSats
1573092849931.png

Reactions: OOO and RodPad
@OOO,
If you want more information, I know I do. ;)

@BudWalker is stating this wasn't a GPS loss and is asking for your .dat file, I assume the one from the Phantom itself. If so I posted a link in this post: A Lucky Day!

Your turn,

Rod

VLOS is a must of safe flying but it is almost impossible estimate the distance between the drone and the obstacle if it is a few 100m from you, in particular if you are watching the drone from backward. From aside it is much easier. I speak for myself of course but I thing that this is the same with others.
This is a bit of topic but I just put the comment about what you said that you always watch the drone and not the display.
It is also true that those popups of warnings appear much to short on the screen and can be easily overlooked.

Thanks. I agree. If the drone in VLOS I prefer to keep my eyes mostly on the aircraft. But this does not mean that I never look at the RC screen during those flights. I intermittently check the RC screen for satellite number, signal quality, battery level, cell voltage, scenery, exposure, messages and warnings. If I had not looked at RC screen that day, I could not have prevented the drone from hitting the mountain.

Last edited:
GPS wasn't lost in this incident. Instead navHealth went to 0 which then caused the Go App to stop reporting the the number of satellites. The .DAT will show actual numSats
View attachment 115450

Thanks for the info. I’ll try to find correct dat file. But I was not able to find a .dat file for the same date. The date on the flight log is October 4, 2019. But I can’t find any .dat file with the same date. The .dat file with the closest date to the day of the event is October 7, 2019. How do I choose?

Thanks for the info. I’ll try to find correct dat file. But I was not able to find a .dat file for the same date. The date on the flight log is October 4, 2019. But I can’t find any .dat file with the same date. The .dat file with the closest date to the day of the event is October 7, 2019. How do I choose?
FLY533.DAT is the correct .DAT file.

@OOO,
If you want more information, I know I do. ;)

@BudWalker is stating this wasn't a GPS loss and is asking for your .dat file, I assume the one from the Phantom itself. If so I posted a link in this post: A Lucky Day!

Your turn,

Rod

As I mentioned above, I couldn't find the .dat file for the date of the event. I think I need a little work on it. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

As I mentioned above, I couldn't find the .dat file for the date of the event. I think I need a little work on it. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
OK, I get it now. You're attempting to use DJI Assistant 2 to get the .DAT. I hadn't reviewed the whole thread when I saw the misunderstanding about the GPS. This incident was more than a month ago. If there have been several flights since then the .DAT we want was probably overwritten.

You could try retrieving the .DAT from the smart controller. I'm not sure that's possible. But, here are the instructions that work to retrieve a tablet .DAT.
Retrieving a V3.DAT from the tablet

OK, I get it now. You're attempting to use DJI Assistant 2 to get the .DAT. I hadn't reviewed the whole thread when I saw the misunderstanding about the GPS. This incident was more than a month ago. If there have been several flights since then the .DAT we want was probably overwritten.

You could try retrieving the .DAT from the smart controller. I'm not sure that's possible. But, here are the instructions that work to retrieve a tablet .DAT.
Retrieving a V3.DAT from the tablet

Thank you very much! I’ll work on it.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20