Tip over on takeoff

Reaction score
I'm having a bad day!
Trying to take off this morning in about 15-18 knots of wind and my pride and joy flipped over lying upside down in the gavel motors still spinning, it seemed quicker to pick it up and then kill the motors rather than a CSC.
Anyway 2 of the motors where gritty and I blew this out without to much bother, all four props are badly grazed and will be thrown away, 1 or 2 annoying scratches on the shell but the worst thing seems to be a bit of cr*p in the gimbal which is giving a gimbal overload warning on the app.

If I had done an auto take off do you think it would have been clever enough to have compensated?
Is the gimbal easy enough to take apart and clean ( I have already tried a gentle blow from a compressor) it seems to be the top elbow for want of another word.

I guess I was pushing my luck but felt confident the wind speed wasn't substantial enough to be an issue and obviously taking off from gravel was a bad idea.
Any other ideas about cleaning the grit out would be welcome.
Thanks in advance.

Learning curve, gravel and sand take off are a definite NO NO! To much flying debri. Sand becomes sandpaper to the engines. A piece of 3x3 plywood helps a lot in those ares. Better if elevated or away from those conditions.

Lesson learned it a shame we can't take off from a car roof but the compass would I guess have issues with that idea

I use my case to launch from in dirty environments, followed by a hand catch landing.

Reactions: snerd
Sorry to hear that. When I fly at the beach, I take off from the back of my backpack, which is pretty square and level. I almost flipped my P3A over last week when I hit the right forward stick instead of left up stick to take off. Oops, brain fart. I saved it by hitting the left stick up within a second but it was my most adventurous take off for sure. Props missed the ground by a cm. The P2V+ I had would've flipped 6 times and caught on fire if I did that :)

Those foam pads to stand on from harbor freight tools they look like a puzzle and lock together, light weight easy to toss around. That's what I use.

This is what I used for cleaning motors:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

You might try canned air for cleaning the gimbal motors as they are pressed fit. Worst case, you might have to replace the camera and gimbal.

Cleaned and polished everything seems to move smoothly and after a quick flight so far so good. [emoji2]

Cleaned and polished everything seems to move smoothly and after a quick flight so far so good. [emoji2]
I blow my motors and gimble with air duster every couple of flights.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic