Tip over on takeoff

I just had my first tip-over on take off. I've taken off in stronger winds--from the top of my carrying case on other days--so I'm a bit perplexed why it happened today; though there's been times I've thought it would crash--as it would slide backwards and wouldn't fully recover till about 10 feet downwind of the case it launched from.

Today, winds were blowing at 5mph when I first launched then crept up to 10mph by my second battery. I always use auto-takeoff; as I figure it's no different than doing a manual start and take-off at full throttle to a five foot parking altitude... but I may be wrong.

I do notice that when ever the engines start (either manually or auto-takeoff); they rev up a couple times--making the Phantom "light on the feet", and susceptible to any wind.

In this case, that is exactly what happened... As the motors did their quick two cycle revs, the steady (not gusty) wind just knocked it on it's back.

I do wonder if holding forward stick (facing into the wind of course) during takeoff would have made the difference. I didn't try though... my next launch was by hand--P3 in one hand, while I flicked the auto-take off with my other hand while the RC rested on the case.

I always take off at Military Power, Up at 10 feet agl and check how the hover is, If all is cool, well, Balls to the wall!

I understand that a few pilots have reported having tip overs on take off. They found that the VRS being turned on during take off was the culprit. Check if yours is on. Try Turing it off during take off. They even noted that it was more prevailed if taking off on uneven ground.

I understand that a few pilots have reported having tip overs on take off. They found that the VRS being turned on during take off was the culprit. Check if yours is on. Try Turing it off during take off. They even noted that it was more prevailed if taking off on uneven ground.
VPS? I agree though, I leave it off as it really has no useful use outside and have had it receiving erroneous data when flying 100 metres above the water.

I stopped using the auto take off because of that. I take no chances to tip the bird. I also noticed that the front engines throttle a bit more than the back. And, with the wind it could tip over. So, I compensate by putting it slightly up from the back which makes it more difficult to tip over. (3 to 5 degree angle no more) then I crank it up quickly. Never had any issues about this anymore. I've been hired by a film company to cover a whole region in Africa for the last 2 months, so I had to lift off 20 times a day in all sorts of weather and ground conditions. I'm always using this scenario for take off and land it in my hands. Or better, have someone catch it. Have fun

Lesson learned it a shame we can't take off from a car roof but the compass would I guess have issues with that idea
My thoughts on that are, with my fc40 I took off from my truck lift gate with no issues. Yes, I did have the yellow LED flashing indicating compass error. Once in the air, it was fine.

With the P3 you'll get a compass error trying the same takeoff scenario. So, what's really the difference?? Moving to a different location the compass is fine. Even though in both scenarios the compass was subjected to an initial error but recovered when in the air or, moved to a different location. So, are we overreacting to the dreaded "Compass Error" warning.

The very same thing with the "Gimbal Overload" error. Take off & it's fine.

I stopped using the auto take off because of that. I take no chances to tip the bird. I also noticed that the front engines throttle a bit more than the back. And, with the wind it could tip over. So, I compensate by putting it slightly up from the back which makes it more difficult to tip over. (3 to 5 degree angle no more) then I crank it up quickly. Never had any issues about this anymore. I've been hired by a film company to cover a whole region in Africa for the last 2 months, so I had to lift off 20 times a day in all sorts of weather and ground conditions. I'm always using this scenario for take off and land it in my hands. Or better, have someone catch it. Have fun
Good idea Daniel. One reason I've thought about facing AWAY from the wind for take offs.

I had my wife with me last flight I made, and decided to let her hand launch it, as I've become scared of ground takeoffs. In the future I realize it would have been better to have any assistant hold the RC instead. In any case, I didn't communicate with her as clearly as I should. I told her to just let go when she felt it lift itself.

I forgot that the initial two mini revs might be construed as takeoff power so I yelled don't let go. She didn't but it only served to confuse her. When I said "ok" (to imprecisely indicate I was going to throttle up) she didn't hear me over the buzz of the motors above her head. She was surprised when I went to full throttle and lost her grip with one hand but held on like her life depended on it with her left. The P3P swung around and cut her shoulder and forearms. :(

She was a real trooper and never dropped it even though it seemed to take forever to CSC. After my initial shock and getting her cleaned up, I did end up replacing two props.
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1443026326.286249.jpg

I'm so sorry for that. That's a Real Bummer. I haven't tried any hand held TAKE-OFF yet for two reasons... 1. That person has to know exactly when to let go. 2. The GPS Home Point record the altitude 0 to this point. And the Visual Positioning Sys (VPS) is also recorded. Not good to let the bird be fooled with a non 0 ground level. Unless your planning to land the same way (Hand-Held). I suggest you have the person practice the hand-held LANDING first. Once it's securely held in the hands, just have it throttle over his head and hold it firmly while you play around with the gears to give him the feel of how strong the aircraft wants to move. It will give the right indication to when to let go of it.

I'm so sorry for that. That's a Real Bummer. I haven't tried any hand held TAKE-OFF yet for two reasons... 1. That person has to know exactly when to let go. 2. The GPS Home Point record the altitude 0 to this point. And the Visual Positioning Sys (VPS) is also recorded. Not good to let the bird be fooled with a non 0 ground level. Unless your planning to land the same way (Hand-Held). I suggest you have the person practice the hand-held LANDING first. Once it's securely held in the hands, just have it throttle over his head and hold it firmly while you play around with the gears to give him the feel of how strong the aircraft wants to move. It will give the right indication to when to let go of it.

Thanks.

The previous day, I had done a couple hand launched take-offs, using auto-take off, while resting my RC / iPad on the case, and swiping the auto-take off with one hand, while holding the P3P with my other. The surprising result, was that the P3P doesn't tug very much when using auto-takeoff--as though it thinks it's already flying.

I don't obstruct the VPS sensors while doing so, but in any case, I don't think it matters much. GPS Home Point altitude doesn't seem to matter much either, as the P3P won't shutoff motors till it detects a lack of reducing altitude for more than three seconds at idle, and will simply descend till it contacts this kind of support.

However, you're right, I should have let her hand catch a few times first to get a good feel for it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20