Tip over on takeoff

I'm a private pilot, I remember one day taking off with a friend who has thousands of hours flying (and his personal plane was a turboprop),,on initial take off I didn't go 100% full throttle,,,he started yelling ( you would have to know the guy, former CIA),,,,always get any flying craft quickly away from the ground, which means 100% throttle,,,,the ground is where bad things happen, get away from it

I'm a private pilot, I remember one day taking off with a friend who has thousands of hours flying (and his personal plane was a turboprop),,on initial take off I didn't go 100% full throttle,,,he started yelling ( you would have to know the guy, former CIA),,,,always get any flying craft quickly away from the ground, which means 100% throttle,,,,the ground is where bad things happen, get away from it
EXACTLY, altitude is your friend, allows reaction time. WOT on every liftoff.

Reactions: Stan_in_KS
I have bad experience of "full throttle take off" in my P2. On the day was over 15kt wind, gust 30kt maybe. My home heliport (small local park) is at top on small hill, and when I took off (as usual) full throttle, then suddenly gust blows from downwards... And I was unlucky I was in a small rest house of the park, coincidently she hits to a 3m height of beam and dropped. Broken 2 props and DIY gimbal bent (not Zenmuse, lucky :) ).
Of course that's my mistake - (1) don't fly in such strong gust, (2) don't make full throttle under a beam/roof, but after that, I tend to (3) takeoff quick to 80-90% -> over 0.5m quickly return -> stop at <1.5m. If I don't have confirmation, I release from hand (also need practice). It's important to do everything in flat ground, start engine, then stop, and hand release.
Also P3 has VPS (if works :D), may not be blown up as P2.
BTW P3 starts with blowing twice... once I also experienced this causes turn over in strong wind day... what's this for? Wind warning? ;)

Do you think it would have happened if I had used auto take off?

I had a flip over today from a Auto take off!
Now my metal hard case was the platform on my spa pool top.
The spa pool lid is not level.
I take off from there regulary because its sheltered from wind and sun (though not usually auto take off)
The P3 flipped over and was cutting into my spa pool lid.
Now was it because the lid was slightly unlevel?
Or did it somehow slip off the lid of the case?

Am I the only one that takes off into the wind with slight forward stick! I never full throttle. Not sure if I'm asking for trouble by doing that but never any issue. I treat my phantom like any real aircraft or R/c plane. Always into the wind.

Reactions: taroh and Morphious
With this type of r/c (self stabilized multi rotor) does wind really matter?
There's no added or resultant lift from air passing over it but if there was it would be equal from all sides, no???

I guess from a matter of Operator/Aircraft orientation it would always be the easiest to have the quad face into the wind while standing behind it (tail In). After awhile you may be less concerned with this.

Full power to the propulsion system so it has maximum dynamic range for attitude adjustment to arrest a tip-over.

Last edited:
Reactions: Morphious
I have bad experience of "full throttle take off" in my P2. On the day was over 15kt wind, gust 30kt maybe. My home heliport (small local park) is at top on small hill, and when I took off (as usual) full throttle, then suddenly gust blows from downwards... And I was unlucky I was in a small rest house of the park, coincidently she hits to a 3m height of beam and dropped. Broken 2 props and DIY gimbal bent (not Zenmuse, lucky :) ).
Of course that's my mistake - (1) don't fly in such strong gust, (2) don't make full throttle under a beam/roof, but after that, I tend to (3) takeoff quick to 80-90% -> over 0.5m quickly return -> stop at <1.5m. If I don't have confirmation, I release from hand (also need practice). It's important to do everything in flat ground, start engine, then stop, and hand release.
Also P3 has VPS (if works :D), may not be blown up as P2.
BTW P3 starts with blowing twice... once I also experienced this causes turn over in strong wind day... what's this for? Wind warning? ;)

Your issues seem to be more about the conditions (wind, over head structure) you are flying in.

Maybe you have no choice due to season or location but this is not a result of using 100% throttle.

Am I the only one that takes off into the wind with slight forward stick! I never full throttle. Not sure if I'm asking for trouble by doing that but never any issue. I treat my phantom like any real aircraft or R/c plane. Always into the wind.

Yes, just make sure nose to the wind and I have to be pointed in the same direction to have my stick orientation correct in my mind.

I always do a 100% FULL throttle launch. In wind this is critical.

Actually it's not really good doing a 100% throttle launch especially not as advice to do "all the time", But in this case in aggressive winds yeah he would have needed to be much heavier on the throttle to compensate for the strong buffeting winds.

Actually it's not really good doing a 100% throttle launch especially not as advice to do "all the time", But in this case in aggressive winds yeah he would have needed to be much heavier on the throttle to compensate for the strong buffeting winds.

Please tell?

I second this one and take it 1 step further and do 100% takeoff all the time, well unless indoors. I love the way it sounds, just like a 1200 horse power dragster!

But here is the motor in-case the dirt takes it's toll

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1148804-REG/dji_cp_pt_000194_phantom_3_motor_cw.html

I never do 100% full throttle take offs and never have had problem not even a close call. The extreme is not necessary and not required. On the opposite note too light a throttle can get you in to trouble. I'll generally move my stick up around 3/4 way give or take. The highest constant winds I've taken off in were approx 20mph.

Reactions: taroh
With this type of r/c (self stabilized multi rotor) does wind really matter?
There's no added or resultant lift from air passing over it but if there was it would be equal from all sides, no???
Just near the ground, ground effect hovers copter and she easily slips, which cannot be corrected by MC. This is different from take-off maneuver of single rotor copters, however. Full throttle party members hate that. VPS had been working well for it (before firmware upgrade).
Also downwash and sidewind seems to make resultant lift... I don't know actually. Wind is strange, sometimes gust makes strong lift depends on the form of ground.

Thanks taroh.

For all the reasons you mentioned it's best to give full throttle and rise up a few meters.

But hey, I'm not saying it's good for everyone but there are aerodynamic or other flight control reasons to do it.

Reactions: taroh
I always take off into the wind if there is any and in hindsight I could have started with some forward stick, I know it is not recommended but I think I will practice hand launch (already do recovery sometimes) and full throttle in heavier conditions.
great replies thanks.

Thanks taroh.

For all the reasons you mentioned it's best to give full throttle and rise up a few meters.

But hey, I'm not saying it's good for everyone but there are aerodynamic or other flight control reasons to do it.
OK, actually I'm not a member of full-throttle-takeoff party, as I wrote above. :) I myself make effort to take off gently but quick.

I did small experiment with ultra light quad (X5C) on floor blown by strong fan (wind from head direction). Taking off slowly, friction between skid and ground gone, then the quad tends to flown away (go back). The MC and I resist to the wind, then she becomes "head down." Continue throttle up, then suddenly "head up" and quicker blow up (than no wind) occur. Interesting. I took off 5 or 10 times, and my guess is - the wind seems stronger at ground surface than in mid air, then wind + ground effect may make blow up wind. Also resistant of controller adds sudden quick up... Sorry I'm not a professional on aerodynamics. This effect seems to be lighter when forward-slip take-off & landing (of course her head keeps down).
My suggestion is, quick return throttle if doing full throttle take off, take off from where nothing above, and if you can, do forward-slip take off. Also expecting "working" VPS and reliable auto take-off... ;)

I just had my first tip-over on take off. I've taken off in stronger winds--from the top of my carrying case on other days--so I'm a bit perplexed why it happened today; though there's been times I've thought it would crash--as it would slide backwards and wouldn't fully recover till about 10 feet downwind of the case it launched from.

Today, winds were blowing at 5mph when I first launched then crept up to 10mph by my second battery. I always use auto-takeoff; as I figure it's no different than doing a manual start and take-off at full throttle to a five foot parking altitude... but I may be wrong.

I do notice that when ever the engines start (either manually or auto-takeoff); they rev up a couple times--making the Phantom "light on the feet", and susceptible to any wind.

In this case, that is exactly what happened... As the motors did their quick two cycle revs, the steady (not gusty) wind just knocked it on it's back.

I do wonder if holding forward stick (facing into the wind of course) during takeoff would have made the difference. I didn't try though... my next launch was by hand--P3 in one hand, while I flicked the auto-take off with my other hand while the RC rested on the case.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20