The professional filter set for the Phantom 3

I'm sure these will be perfect for someone, but I am curious about your own use, since you apparently weren't using any filter when your aircraft drowned. Did you find that to be the case?

The owner of the filter set for sale with the bird that drowned posted in #308 above. He's only made 2 posts. I use my set all the time with the GR4 by itself and also accompanied with either the ND8 or 16 usually to blue out the sky more and it does a good job. I haven't had a reason to use the ND32 even though I tried it once and it is nice. The great thing about this set is that the filters are glass and can be stacked together to enhance any type of day and it works nicely even on totally overcast days making post enhancement not needed. I don't take stills with this camera, I have a Sony A6000 that works great for stills and movies on the ground. The clean color of these GR filters are what make this set a cut above the others.

Does anyone still have the rainbowers filter set? I'm looking to buy one if anyone does.

thanks

I'm sure these will be perfect for someone, but I am curious about your own use, since you apparently weren't using any filter when your aircraft drowned. My suspicion is that they are more of a good idea than practical in use. If the ambient lighting in the scene changes, which caused you to select a particular filter at launch, or changes while yawing and changing direction, the needed precalculated filter, to achieve a shutter speed of twice the frame rate, also changes, and so now you have the wrong filter on, and all you have done is drastically reduce the amount of light reaching the sensor. Did you find that to be the case?

It was a test flight to see what filter I should add and how it looked pre-filter.....luckily :)

Reactions: Reed L
Can I just say again

A. that Renaat is a gent of the highest order. To do this for so many of us *at cost* just to be a service to the community is exceptional and rare in this day and age.

B. these filters are fantastic. I think the barrel system is ingenious as well! This is such a great set and I *never* fly without it.

Hey, I've not been using the o-ring, but I figure it's included for a reason - how are you all using it?

Reactions: Reed L
Aye, for drone (not still SLR) photography, I use a polarizer for glare/reflections and the ND filters for shutter / frame-rate control. But exposure is exposure, whether it's still or video, eh?

Yes, I have seen people using ND filters for stills when it's not called for, which is usually the case with drone still photography. For shots with the sun it in, an ND filter does not change the dynamic range, so it's of no use. Might as well bring down the exposure compensation until there's no highlight blow-outs, then try to recover shadow details in post. But using an ND filter to "control the harsh lighting of the bright Bahama sun" is not useful for stills.

Chris

Chris although the ND doesn't change the dynamic range they can be helpful with drone stills. I use them to get the slowest useable shutter speed for creating stacked "long exposure" shots. If flown on a good enough weather day this can be done and is quite interesting. I also think they help "richen" the color of certain images taken with the drone, maybe it's just me.
The uses with a drone are not quite as broad as in still DSLR or portrait photography but they do have a use in drone stills IMO.

I'm still trying to figure out why/how some people use a CPL while flying. A linear possibly for still shots but a CPL is really a waste due to reasons mentioned above.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Can I just say again

A. that Renaat is a gent of the highest order. To do this for so many of us *at cost* just to be a service to the community is exceptional and rare in this day and age.

B. these filters are fantastic. I think the barrel system is ingenious as well! This is such a great set and I *never* fly without it.

Hey, I've not been using the o-ring, but I figure it's included for a reason - how are you all using it?
My set didn't come with an o-ring but the o-ring from the stock lens cover will do the same. I don't use one. The base threads on perfectly and when tight, if I want to put the GR2 in first - into the fixed slot, it's leveled perfectly when dropped in. Then with the GR4 in the rotation or sliding slot, it all lines up perfectly. So I will stack the 2 GR filters sometimes. with the sliding slot being made specifically for the GR4. If I needed to adjust the angles in the fixed slot, I would use the o-ring, but it isn't needed.

Reactions: theTastyCat
Chris although the ND doesn't change the dynamic range they can be helpful with drone stills. I use them to get the slowest useable shutter speed for creating stacked "long exposure" shots. If flown on a good enough weather day this can be done and is quite interesting. I also think they help "richen" the color of certain images taken with the drone, maybe it's just me.
The uses with a drone are not quite as broad as in still DSLR or portrait photography but they do have a use in drone stills IMO.

I'm still trying to figure out why/how some people use a CPL while flying. A linear possibly for still shots but a CPL is really a waste due to reasons mentioned above.

The only reason I can conceive of to use an ND filter in a still shot is to create deliberate motion blur, which is the exact same purpose when used for video. Otherwise, all ND filters do is evenly change the exposure, which only slows the shutter speed on a fixed aperture lens, and blurs an otherwise sharp image. I like my still shot originals as sharp as possible. If desired, I can always create blur in post, but you can't actually create sharp focus from a motion blurred image.

The only reason I can conceive of to use an ND filter in a still shot is to create deliberate motion blur, which is the exact same purpose when used for video. Otherwise, all ND filters do is evenly change the exposure, which only slows the shutter speed on a fixed aperture lens, and blurs an otherwise sharp image. I like my still shot originals as sharp as possible. If desired, I can always create blur in post, but you can't actually create sharp focus from a motion blurred image.

When shooting portraits/wedding photos in very bright light a neutral density filter can be very helpful and allow one to get more creative. Not every shot has a use for one but I have used them on several occasions with great results. Sometimes you need to think OOTB and ignore what is sometimes considered "Norm" or what everyone else does. [emoji106]

Cool - would you say more, strgazr? Would love to know the difference it makes. Maybe richer color? I know almost nothing about photography but would like to learn.

When shooting portraits/wedding photos in very bright light a neutral density filter can be very helpful and allow one to get more creative. Not every shot has a use for one but I have used them on several occasions with great results. Sometimes you need to think OOTB and ignore what is sometimes considered "Norm" or what everyone else does. [emoji106]

Interesting. What do they do, that manually changing the exposure wouldn't also do?

Due to a complete timewaster I still have a full set of Rainbowers filter for sale! Email me at grimlock101 (at) gmail.com

I have this set and have loved it. I'm about to upgrade to a P4P and I'm curious if the barrel dimensions are the same. Has anyone tried using them on a P4P? I really hate to lose this quality solution and be stuck with a Polar Pro or something else that would compromise my exposure options.

EDIT: A little more research tells me I'm out of luck. Oh well. It was fun while it lasted.

Here's a sample shot this filter set allows:
Angola Campsite 2 Drone.jpg

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.