The professional filter set for the Phantom 3

For video I always shoot a shutter speed as close to 2x the frame rate as possible and the NDs and GRs are great for getting you there.

Daylight flights I lock in 100 ISO.
I also use Custom white balance between 4500-6000K depending on the cloud cover.
I shoot both in D-Log and None depending on whether I want to do a bunch or little in post.

For a really great bunch of info on this, see member Fhagan's videos.

Best Camera Settings | DJI Phantom Forum

I'm still playing around with the Sharpness-Contrast-Saturation
I find the -2,-3,-2 recommendations a bit too soft and warm for my tastes but agree that the standard settings are too crisp and cool for cinemagraphic effects.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grae
I need to correct my statement above. The shutter speed is no more than 2x the frame rate.

For example if I am shooting at 24 fps I want the shutter speed to be around 50. If shooting at 60 fps I will shoot around 120.

Sorry for the fumble.

And I have now corrected the original

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Received the kit today. Looking forward to testing it but the wind is too strong for now in this part of the world.

Thanks Renaat for this quality product and prompt shipment.

Just got the filters and they seem very high quality! great work! but i ran into a problem... lol i got it perfectly balanced and everything was peachy and went to go put it back in the case only to realize i can no longer use my OEM Gimbal guard :-O... yeah i don't know why it didn't hit me earlier as i knew about the balancing but long story short wondering what guard you guys use for your phantoms after going with this filter set? the lens cover seems a little bit larger than OEM so wondering if the general over the lens guards work with this or what you guys do?

luckily i have the DJI Hard shell backpack that comes very nicely foamed up so that the camera once in place in the bag even without a guard it stays fairly steady. Should be fine for a short haul but not something i would be comfortable throwing on my shoulder and walking out for a 5k hike and shoot...

@Kashif. Any gimbal clamp that is made for PolarPro filters will fit the Rainbowers lens cap. You will have to remove the barrel and replace it with the cap after each use.

Reactions: Grae
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1454913111.315777.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1454913129.300393.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1454913168.304907.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1454913190.490913.jpg

How I'm doing the gimbal stabilization :) saves the $20 polar pro wanted out of me!

I have ordered a set as well and done a few flights with it. I'd say it is quite perfect and with some practice it takes only a few minutes to decide which filter(s) to use and be ready to launch. Thank You very much!

I have just started to design a GimbalClamp with interchangeable rubberized (Ninjaflex) centers for use with both the barrel and CPL configurations. I will also attempt to have these fit in both the Tradecraft and DJI hardshell backpacks with either no or minimal alteration to the case.
I expect to be able to get something workable in the next few weeks. I'll keep you informed.

If I can do this I will make them available for sale in the spirit of Rainbowers' tradition and charge only my costs of design and production spread over 50 sets. The set would include an ABS shell and two different sizes (and colors) of inserts. If it works as expected I should be able to sell these for no more than $10 plus $5 shipping worldwide. Keep your fingers crossed
Did you ever finish this design? I am interested

I really like PolarPro stuff - and those definitely look solid.
I've had this set for a little while now and really like them.
3a7916f442c9d262c6c61df1de0af7d4.jpg
(not the greatest pic)
I've yet to see them come into frame and they put a fair bit of breathing room between the camera and a grassy field. They're angled slightly out as well which adds a surprising amount of stability.

Where did you get these extensions from?

Hey Mike looked at those you are talking about and also these but gezzzz they look real nice but calculated it with shipping and all and they come to over 50 bucks canadian just cant seem to justify it but I know its gonna get the better of me and im gonna buy a set anyways lol check out the video on the link I sent of the polar pro legs they look real cool, how much did ya get the filters for? They come in a real nice storage box, your gonna like them , when ya get them message me and Ill tell ya exactly where to place the weights, cause in the video he shows its not quit right, all you need is 15 grams of weight to get balanced even better then he gets it, just a 10 gram weight and a 5 gram weight works perfect
heres the link to those legs I was looking at from polar pro, these sure do make it stable
DJI Phantom 3 Landing Gear
Can you post your pictures of how you have yours balanced? I only put a 5g on the side and a 10g on the back and mine seems perfectly balanced, I don't know why some say you also need a 5g on the bottom.

Got my filter set and its looking good so far. One thing I noticed in the instructional video is that while he balances the pitch and roll, he doesn't balance the yaw. I found adding a 5g weight to the back of the yaw arm pretty much gets it balanced again. You can tell if the yaw is out of balance by tilting the phantom forward or backwards. If the yaw is out of balance it will fall to one side of the other when tilted this way.

I designed a replacement gimbal lock piece that fits with the filter holder and counterweights installed. Here's the STL for 3d printing.
I don't have access to a 3-d printer, can you ship one? I am very interested. Also can you post a pic?

Can you post your pictures of how you have yours balanced? I only put a 5g on the side and a 10g on the back and mine seems perfectly balanced, I don't know why some say you also need a 5g on the bottom.

I'm keen to see this as well! I have the set but haven't used it yet. I'm a little apprehensive about using weights! Looking for some reassurance, and the best way to balance them! Thanks!

UK

I have a 10gr and a 5gr on the back and a 5gr on the side, it was perfect with just the 5 and 10 on the back but then when I used the polariser or
IMG_1502.JPG
IMG_1503.JPG
2 lenses it wasnt quit balanced so I put the 5gr on the side which makes it perfect, if I only use one lens it isnt perfectly balanced but not far off that its gonna hurt anything I have been using it like this for a while now with no problems, use the filters you'll love em

Reactions: Reed L and Sinisalo
Got them today - very happy with the quality, looking forward to installing them on my P4 :)

Got them today - very happy with the quality, looking forward to installing them on my P4 :)
If you would be so kind as to advise on how well the filters work on your P4 that would be great. Along with that how well is the balance compared to the P3. I will have my P4 the first part of April as I am buying to support the local dealer whose price is cheaper than Apple.

Thanks,

Alt

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl