Tablet debate (Samsung Tab E v Apple Ipad Mini 2)

Reaction score
Just got a P4P and now need a tablet to be able to view footage clearly, currently using a Samsung A3 (2014) with a small 4.5" screen. My main use for the drone is photography and eventually part time commercial use (once approved) so need to be able to clearly see what my drones seeing.

Im purchasing a new mobile on contract and it comes with either a Samsung Tab E or Apple Ipad Mini 2, its about £9 more expensive a month for the one with the Apple tablet. Ive never been a fan of Apple but can put my differences aside if its really worth the extra for stable video connection as its main use is for the DJI Go App.

The advantage the Samsung has its a bigger screen however its not as powerful as the ipad does this influence the App at all? Whats peoples views?

I would personally buy the iPad Mini 2 since I know it always works well. The Tab E is on the slow end of the commonly used tablets.

Reactions: tahir
Yeah, lot of people told me that Dji go app is much more stable on iOS than android.

Althought I don't personnaly like apple product and brand (you pay way to much just for the brand), it's quite fair to say that they still make good products, and the OS is really stable !

lot of people told me that Dji go app is much more stable on iOS than android
The issue with Android devices is that there are many that don't work well with DJI GO. Many people go out and buy the cheapest device they can find -- only later to find it works poorly or not at all. If you want to get an Android device instead, get the Nvidia Shield K1.

I don't personnaly like apple product and brand (you pay way to much just for the brand)
Agreed. Their products work very well though.

I would personally buy the iPad Mini 2 since I know it always works well. The Tab E is on the slow end of the commonly used tablets.

Thanks, yeah I've heard people rate the IOS for been more stable with the DJI Go App, might have to go with an Apple device much to my shame ha.

Ive seen pretty good reviews on the Nexus 7 2013 version - is it worth just getting a cheap second hand one on ebay or do you still recommend Ipad Mini 2?

Yeah, lot of people told me that Dji go app is much more stable on iOS than android.

Althought I don't personnaly like apple product and brand (you pay way to much just for the brand), it's quite fair to say that they still make good products, and the OS is really stable !

Agreed they do make good products that last and a stable OS its just I prefer to have an OS you can customize like Android (but that's for another debate). In my case its only going to be used for the DJI Go app so would put my differences aside.

The issue with Android devices is that there are many that don't work well with DJI GO. Many people go out and buy the cheapest device they can find -- only later to find it works poorly or not at all. If you want to get an Android device instead, get the Nvidia Shield K1.

In that case will probably look at getting the ipad mini 2......much to my disgust ha!

Agreed. Their products work very well though.

By the way, Mrsinger, do you know if the ipad mini 2 is enought for the latest dji go app, and for running with the p4p ?

The reseller where I bought my p4p said that the mini 2 was (or will soon be) obsolete to run with the p4p and dji go app 4.
He told me buying the mini 3 would be a better deal. Do you have any insights about that ?

Ive seen pretty good reviews on the Nexus 7 2013 version - is it worth just getting a cheap second hand one on ebay or do you still recommend Ipad Mini 2?
I own both of these devices. They are still working well in the latest version of DJI GO 4.

The reseller where I bought my p4p said that the mini 2 was (or will soon be) obsolete
I doubt it.

He told me buying the mini 3 would be a better deal.
This is bad advice. The iPad Mini 3 has the same processor as the iPad Mini 2. The only benefit to the iPad Mini 3 (if it's even a benefit to you) is that it has a thumbprint reader.

This is bad advice. The iPad Mini 3 has the same processor as the iPad Mini 2. The only benefit to the iPad Mini 3 (if it's even a benefit to you) is that it has a thumbprint reader.

Well thanks a lot, that's a clean answer !

Just got a P4P and now need a tablet to be able to view footage clearly, currently using a Samsung A3 (2014) with a small 4.5" screen. My main use for the drone is photography and eventually part time commercial use (once approved) so need to be able to clearly see what my drones seeing.

Im purchasing a new mobile on contract and it comes with either a Samsung Tab E or Apple Ipad Mini 2, its about £9 more expensive a month for the one with the Apple tablet. Ive never been a fan of Apple but can put my differences aside if its really worth the extra for stable video connection as its main use is for the DJI Go App.

The advantage the Samsung has its a bigger screen however its not as powerful as the ipad does this influence the App at all? Whats peoples views?
I like the Samsung Tab A...clear and bright screen.

Sent from my SM-G900V using PhantomPilots mobile app

I'll jump in here. For the record I am not an iFan as far as phones. But in regards in tablets I have tried most.

On Android the Samsung never really worked for me. Tried 2 different models and returned both. The NVidia K1 seems to be the most stable for flight, but still suffers from issues if you switch between apps that try to control the USB port. I had my P4 hovering at 12 feet and it wouldn't respond to any input until I rebooted the tablet. Even killing the apps failed. Maybe a root of the K1 is in order. But I think the core issue is USB handling that was introduced in Marshmallow.

On the iSide, I started out with a iPad Mini2 with cellular because I already had one. Seems to be very stable and the only issue I had was it overheating flying in Arizona in the summer. I recently upgraded to the iPad Pro 9.7 for the bigger display. Will see how it performs in the summer time. Also both of my iPads have cellular service.

I own both of these devices. They are still working well in the latest version of DJI GO 4.

Thanks good to hear il see what I can afford then at the end of the month as Im purchasing the DJI Refresh Care this week for some peace of mind when flying.

I like the Samsung Tab A...clear and bright screen.

Sent from my SM-G900V using PhantomPilots mobile app

I did look at that 10.1 version of that tablet - good spec & screen size at that price. It was in the black friday for £149 but i passed on it as didnt have a drone back then and wishing I hadnt now :(

I'll jump in here. For the record I am not an iFan as far as phones. But in regards in tablets I have tried most.

On Android the Samsung never really worked for me. Tried 2 different models and returned both. The NVidia K1 seems to be the most stable for flight, but still suffers from issues if you switch between apps that try to control the USB port. I had my P4 hovering at 12 feet and it wouldn't respond to any input until I rebooted the tablet. Even killing the apps failed. Maybe a root of the K1 is in order. But I think the core issue is USB handling that was introduced in Marshmallow.

On the iSide, I started out with a iPad Mini2 with cellular because I already had one. Seems to be very stable and the only issue I had was it overheating flying in Arizona in the summer. I recently upgraded to the iPad Pro 9.7 for the bigger display. Will see how it performs in the summer time. Also both of my iPads have cellular service.

Thanks for advice. You mention both have a celluar service, will the maps not work without a sim card?

I see the list of compatible devices says all the androids have GPS whereas apple tablets are optional - I dont fancy having to purchase a sim card with some data on to use the maps.

Thanks for advice. You mention both have a celluar service, will the maps not work without a sim card?

I see the list of compatible devices says all the androids have GPS whereas apple tablets are optional - I dont fancy having to purchase a sim card with some data on to use the maps.

On Apple you only need to have one that is cellular capable to get GPS, not necessarily turned on.

I've always been an Android fan also. Started out using the Galaxy Tab 3 and it worked but most Android tablets have little memory. Unlike Apple products. So after lagging problems I bought an iPad Air2 and the difference was astounding! No lag ever, and I can download whatever videos and pics I want without ever needing to transfer them to my laptop. I got the 128G model just for being able to keep everything on it. So yeah, get an iPad, you'll never need another tablet. I suggest a bigger screen than the mini tho, the iPad Air2 is way cheaper now than when I bought mine and the screen is huge and can read it in the sun also, although I do use a sun shield when it's really sunny out. Hope that helps.

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk

Without a sim card, you could tether to a mobile phone or cache the maps in DJI GO.

I agree, but would add that it is best to keep things as simple as possible without the need for the Batman utility belt of connected devices. That way you are focused on flying and not device management.

but would add that it is best to keep things as simple as possible without the need for the Batman utility belt of connected devices
Flying without maps is the simplest way to go. When flying VLOS, maps are often not of much use anyhow.

On Apple you only need to have one that is cellular capable to get GPS, not necessarily turned on.

Ahh so if i understand correctly if I purchase an ipad and input a simcard with NO mins/txts/data it will work it just actually needs a sim card in it?

Ahh so if i understand correctly if I purchase an ipad and input a simcard with NO mins/txts/data it will work it just actually needs a sim card in it?
The key is to get an iPad that is cellular compatible. They all come with a sim card. It just doesn't have to be activated.
The iPad wifi only does not have a slot for a card nor does it have GPS. $2 part that Apple marks up to $100. In should be native to all the hardware IMO.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic