Phantom is Vibrating and video has MASSIVE jello.

D

Deleted member 109724

Hi, my name is Weston, and I'm trying to use my Phantom 3 standard for real estate video, but the bird vibrates like crazy, and the gimbal can't compensate, so video is unusable. I've tried shooting at 1/50th Shutter speed with a ND Filter, and that helps a bit, but video still unusable. I've balanced the props on my dubro, and that doesn't help. I think my problem is that the props don't line up when screwed to the bird, so maybe they are all warped. Are the props supposed to line up perfectly when screwed to the motors? Mine have up to a quarter inch gap in places. Will slightly warped props cause bird to vibrate excessively?

Hi, my name is Weston, and I'm trying to use my Phantom 3 standard for real estate video, but the bird vibrates like crazy, and the gimbal can't compensate, so video is unusable. I've tried shooting at 1/50th Shutter speed with a ND Filter, and that helps a bit, but video still unusable. I've balanced the props on my dubro, and that doesn't help. I think my problem is that the props don't line up when screwed to the bird, so maybe they are all warped. Are the props supposed to line up perfectly when screwed to the motors? Mine have up to a quarter inch gap in places. Will slightly warped props cause bird to vibrate excessively?
Sorry - I don't really understand what you mean when you say 'don't line up'. Do you mean that there is a varying gap between the edge base of the prop and the motor? Do they appear to screw on normally and in-line?

What are the clearances of your props from the shell at each end of the prop? Are they about equi-distant, tip-to-shell?

Any deviation from normal specs can certainly cause vibration, as can being unbalanced, which you have already checked. Check that your motors are firmly attached and not wobbling.

Your simplest solution would probably be to try a new set of OEM props and see what happens.

Also, check the motor mounting screws for snugness, but dont over tighten if loose.

A picture (or two) is worth a thousand words my friend.

Sorry - I don't really understand what you mean when you say 'don't line up'. Do you mean that there is a varying gap between the edge base of the prop and the motor? Do they appear to screw on normally and in-line?

What are the clearances of your props from the shell at each end of the prop? Are they about equi-distant, tip-to-shell?

Any deviation from normal specs can certainly cause vibration, as can being unbalanced, which you have already checked. Check that your motors are firmly attached and not wobbling.

Your simplest solution would probably be to try a new set of OEM props and see what happens.
Hi Steve 7777! Thank you for replying! I bought the Phantom and flew it in the yard first day, big mistake. I gently crashed it into the fence and it fell 1 foot to the grass. I had to buy new props to replace the factory ones, cuz I lost the spares that came in the box. I went on amazon and bought what they said was OEM DJI props, but when I got them, they seemed warped! When I fly the quadcopter up between 5 and 6 feet, I can look it in the eye, and see that some of the props are spinning at two different levels. Basically I'm getting the double prop illusion as I look at them at eye level. I think they are warped, or bent slightly. Will that cause the bird to vibrate? When I touch the Phantom while its flying, I can feel it vibrating a lot. Should the bird naturally vibrate a bit? Or should it be very smooth while hovering?

A picture (or two) is worth a thousand words my friend.
Sorry BigAL07, my dumb old computer won't let me upload pictures on this site. I'll try to describe as best I can. Thanks for your time!

Hi Steve 7777! Thank you for replying! I bought the Phantom and flew it in the yard first day, big mistake. I gently crashed it into the fence and it fell 1 foot to the grass. I had to buy new props to replace the factory ones, cuz I lost the spares that came in the box. I went on amazon and bought what they said was OEM DJI props, but when I got them, they seemed warped! When I fly the quadcopter up between 5 and 6 feet, I can look it in the eye, and see that some of the props are spinning at two different levels. Basically I'm getting the double prop illusion as I look at them at eye level. I think they are warped, or bent slightly. Will that cause the bird to vibrate? When I touch the Phantom while its flying, I can feel it vibrating a lot. Should the bird naturally vibrate a bit? Or should it be very smooth while hovering?
Ideally, when props are rotating, it shouldn't vibrate at all as that's bad for all parts, including the airframe.. But in the real world there may be some, but hopefully not too much and certainly not easily noticeable.

Props can get warped by bad packing at the warehouse, in shipping and in-store. That's why I asked about what tip clearances you have to the shell. It is possible to straighten them out by gentle bending along the full length of each prop if you need to but don't over-stress the prop as you bend it.

Steve 7777, I tried bending them a week ago, and that seemed to help a bit, but they still aren't perfect, and some bent back to where they were. How do I get props that aren't bent? Have you ever tried the carbon fiber props?

Also, check the motor mounting screws for snugness, but dont over tighten if loose.
I tightened the motor mounting screwes till tight, but hopefully not too tight! My motors seem fine, I've tried running it without props and no vibration, and I tried the tabletop test, all motors are level...

Steve 7777, I tried bending them a week ago, and that seemed to help a bit, but they still aren't perfect, and some bent back to where they were. How do I get props that aren't bent? Have you ever tried the carbon fiber props?
You could warm the props slightly before the gentle bending so that they don't go back to how they were so much.

I've never used carbon props and probably never will....

Don't forget about the search facility here (magnifying glass, top right) where, by careful choice of keywords, you will probably find that the questions you want to ask have already been asked here (often many times before). :)

My competition doesn't have any jello on his videos, so I'm getting worried! My friend has a standard, so maybe he will let me borrow some props to test, but before buying new props, I want to know how to get perfect OEM DJI props that aren't warped, and I'm wondering whether I should get plastic or carbon fiber...

You could warm the props slightly before the gentle bending so that they don't go back to how they were so much.

I've never used carbon props and probably never will....

Don't forget about the search facility here (magnifying glass, top right) where, by careful choice of keywords, you will probably find that the questions you want to ask have already been asked here (often many times before). :)
Thanks Steve7777, I'm new to this site. Thanks for your help. One note that you probably can help with. I bought the Phantom 3 props from amazon with the 2 gold stripes on the tips of the props, but they said OEM DJI. Was I tricked? I looked at eBay for OEM props, and I found some OEM sets that come in the little black bag that look identical to the ones I got originally.

My competition doesn't have any jello on his videos, so I'm getting worried! My friend has a standard, so maybe he will let me borrow some props to test, but before buying new props, I want to know how to get perfect OEM DJI props that aren't warped, and I'm wondering whether I should get plastic or carbon fiber...
Use the search facility as I have suggested, read many comments on the matter and then make up your own mind. To get you started, carbon props have a greater affinity to shatter if they hit something hard.....

I'm just wondering where I can purchase the BEST OEM DJI props. I looked at the DJI store and eBay, eBay is cheaper, and it claims brand new OEM DJI props with bag, but I don't know...

Thanks Steve7777, I'm new to this site. Thanks for your help. One note that you probably can help with. I bought the Phantom 3 props from amazon with the 2 gold stripes on the tips of the props, but they said OEM DJI. Was I tricked? I looked at eBay for OEM props, and I found some OEM sets that come in the little black bag that look identical to the ones I got originally.
There is so much misdescription on the likes of Ebay and Amazon that you shouldn't believe almost everything that is written there.

I'm sure that a very valued and knowledgeable member here, msinger, will soon pop up and advise you to only buy props from dji accredited suppliers...

OK, thanks, good advice. The bird flies and handles fine, it's just those props. I'll try to get my hands on some official OEM DJI props.

Buy your props from a local place (if you have one) or buy direct from DJI. As you have learned there are many "tricksters" in the business and it's cheaper to buy RIGHT a single time than buy wrong and buy twice.
Also don't waste your $$ on Carbon Fiber. Plastic works great and what the engineers tuned the aircraft using.

I'll probably also get with my friend and look at his props vs mine to see if mine are bad.

BTW, I love this site! I seriously just signed up an hour ago and asked my first question, and already I have all these wonderful folks helping me, especially Steve7777. Thank you all very much, greatly appreciated!!! I'll use this site from now on for all my questions regarding my Phantom.

Reactions: Steve7777
Buy your props from a local place (if you have one) or buy direct from DJI. As you have learned there are many "tricksters" in the business and it's cheaper to buy RIGHT a single time than buy wrong and buy twice.
Also don't waste your $$ on Carbon Fiber. Plastic works great and what the engineers tuned the aircraft using.
Thanks BigAL07, you are sooooo right. Better spend more first time than think you are getting a deal, then having to dump more cash on other Chinese brands. "It went great, I just made 300 easy clams from the sucker of the world." -the Andy Griffith show, "Barney's First Car" line by Mrs. Leish.

Reactions: BigAl07

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic