Phantom 3 Standard Fly Away. Where is it ?

Will DJI replace the drone?

• Yes

Votes: 8 29.6%
  • Maybe

Votes: 10 37.0%
  • Definitely not

Votes: 9 33.3%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

today something terrible happened. My Dji Phantom 3 Standard flew away. I was filming some really nice empty buildings in east Germany from outside and I wanted it to return to home but somehow it had another RTH point. It logged 2 flights even though i did only one. Then it just started in the completely wrong direction from me. I searched everywhere but could not find it.
It cant be in the water cause its only ice there now but i havent seen it on the ice anywhere.
Maybe you can help solve the riddle because I think DJI will not replace anything?!
And tomorrow is my birthday. Amazing !

HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

Please help me
Kind regards
Meier

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2017-02-04_[12-15-18].txt
    603.7 KB · Views: 560
  • DJIFlightRecord_2017-02-04_[12-24-25].txt
    45.7 KB · Views: 360
You didn't happen to be using the DJI Go app on an Android device, did you?

Reactions: meierjoe
Your flight data shows that you were using DJI Go v 3.1.2. There have been many reports of fly-aways using that version of DJI Go. I have not read any reports that DJI has replaced any drones because of the problem.

This seems to be a problem with the current version of the Android DJI Go app. There's lots of discussion around here about it. For some reason it sets the home point west or northwest of the actual home point. I'd look for your drone in that direction.

I usually fly using an iPad but I had the Go app on my Galaxy S5 just in case I wanted to use it. In my backyard recently it showed my home point as being in a Popeye's parking lot 2 miles away. I deleted the app and won't use it until DJI fixes the problem.

I think this known problem certainly gives you leverage to get DJI to replace your Phantom 3.

Ok, good to know that i am not alone. Thanks for sharing your experience thats really helpful. Maybe everyone who had some crashes because of that should get together.

I have actually read on a group I follow on Facebook that some have been replaced by DJI. Now I'm not saying they are going to replace yours but it's worth a shot. Also a lot of people on there have found there's by watching the playback of the flight and going to where the blue dot shows on the map. Yes the android app is about 2.5 miles nw off. Some have also found gps coordinates that the go app shows. But as to where to find them on the app I'm not sure. Hope you find it.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Home point on the map...at the controller...was 11,000 feet due west from me here in the usa...east coast with 3.1.2. I went back to 3.0.1.

Check where the app shows the blue dot for your position to see if it is accurate. If it is not perhaps the bird landed wherever the blue dot is.

Perhaps posting the flight data and compass course the bird flew off in may allow some people here to assist. Amazing stories of finding lost ones.

Thanks for your reply. The movies are somehow not playable on windows or mac. It´s strange. How can i watch the playback of the flight? I uploaded the video files here on Dropbox, maybe somebody gets them to work?

Dropbox - Phtanom 3 Standard Fly Away

I have searched everywhere and was nearly stuck in a mud way with my car. Since it was beginning to get dark and nobody was there it was crazy. After 15 minutes i managed to get out completely covered in dirt... At least i will not forget my day before my 25th birthday.

If you open your app on the s7...connect to camera as you normally do...and view in satellite view your location on the map in the lower left corner as marked by the blue dot, is it accurate?

Red dot means in my case the gps position is not yet confirmed. When it turns blue it has gps lock on your device. Be sure your device gps is on, maybe go outside to get gps lock.
I am no expert but if the bird thought the controller was the set home point, and it thought the controller was where the dot is on the map, it may be where the dot is.
Do you happen to know if you se the home point as the controller? Maybe by accident?

Sorry i dont know if and how I see the Home Point.
If I now search in the direction North West of what my DJI Go App shows me as my point maybe the drone is around there (also direction north west )on the accident place. Amazing is as well when I change from DJI 3 Standard to Aspire 1 in the App my location is correctly shown.View media item 3042

Last edited:
It is worth try. Enlarge the Go App map to pinpoint where the dot overlays and start at that spot. Depending on battery left it could still be on if it did not crash. Hope this is successful.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic