Phantom 3 Professional Firmware v1.6.0040

i mean in hindsight how was he to know my plans involved a six hour round trip and canceling a hot date with a girl named coco,
You're pissed at the wrong guy. It was easy to throw a monkey wrench into your tablet, and coco and I had a wonderful date. ;)

Reactions: Oso
Personally, I think it's a mistake to think the battery optimization is only about cold weather. There were too many freaky reports about sudden critical low battery when all should have been fine, in warm temperatures.
I agree sir, not to mention the release notes had two items listed and only one was regarding cold weather. It seems most are not seeing the second item, "optimized battery management." Who knows what was done there, and in what weather conditions the changes were meant.

Last edited:
I decided to update everything today.

Updated Go app
Updated AC
Updated RC
Updated battery 2
Performed cold imu
Camera gimbal calibration
Compass calibration.

One flight indoors in my work shop
One flight at home 18 min 8800 ft.

The other thing that time will tell is reduced reports of sudden drastic voltage drops reported in the go app while flying and especially flying with a battery not fully charged. This was reported more than anything else as of late. Hopefully the voltage drops evenly and consistently now, without errors or false reporting during flight in the app.
Good deal. I just updated. i was having really bad voltage drops. Hope this fixes that issue. I just hope the speed has not been compromised. I don't want a slow phantom. thanks!

No speed comprises that I could feel. I was sub 50 degrees but not much lower so maybe it hadn't kicked in.
I ripped the bird around and zipped her up and down. She was just as snappy as before.

No speed comprises that I could feel. I was sub 50 degrees but not much lower so maybe it hadn't kicked in.
I ripped the bird around and zipped her up and down. She was just as snappy as before.
thanks for the report. Im videoing a wolf hunt in Montana with my Phantom 3 in February. Lived there for 20 years. So could be below zero. This update came at the right time. take care

I have not had serious cold temperatures yet but the bird is flying fantastic on 1.6.

Flew in 10 degree F yesterday on 1.6. Short flight and nothing acrobatic but everything solid. Landed at 85 pct. battery after 5 minutes.

I agree sir, not to mention the release notes had two items listed and only one was regarding cold weather. It seems most are not seeing the second item, "optimized battery management." Who knows what was done there, and in what weather conditions the changes were meant.
Yeah, the "optimized battery management" statement, translated means "fixed our F-up".

Yes, those are my numbers. I've always noticed my bird would go up at 11mph upon full throttle in ad straight up vertical ascent before this week. Yesterday in 55F sunny conditions, just after my 1.6 upgrade, full throttle straight vertical ascent fluctuated between 5 and 6 mph. I also noticed that when giving it full throttle up and full forward simultaneously, the ascent angle went from about 35 degrees to about 15 degrees. This is something I do all the time, I can see the difference, so I know DJI has put a current draw limitation on the system that reduces the snappy performance it use to have, and it's not just in cold conditions, although it might be even worse performance in 30F weather.
So today in 64F So. Calif weather I had a chance to test again with 1.6 firmware on my old motor Phantom 3P. My vertical speed at full charge was about 7-8mph with a fresh 100% battery, however toward the end of that first climb, it was ~7mph. At 45% charge it would bounce between 6-7mph, most at 6.9mph. The horizontal speed was still 33 to 35mph like before, but it was slower acceleration getting to top speed (solely based on my memory). Coincidentally I had a fellow phantompilot.com member (MikeyG) with me flying with 1.4 firmware on his old motor Phantom 3P. I was very curious if his speed was 11mph like I remembered having with 1.4, and sure enough his P3P would ascend at 11mph, just like I remembered. It did this at 100% charge and at 40%, no difference. This definitively proves the ascend power of the Phantom 3P has been throttled in the 1.6 firmware by about 35%. Will this make batteries last longer? Maybe, in theory it should. Does this matter to me? Mostly I'll miss the acceleration when I'm tracking fast moving objects like SeaDoos, cars, surfers, skiers, etc. I'll only miss the faster ascend speeds when escaping from Seagull attacks, up up up up, and outta there. The acceleration and connection distance of the Phantom 3P was the hallmark of the capabilities. Coming from the Q500+ (17mph - 1/2mi distance) this is what sold me on DJI, hands down. The Phantom 3P is still superior than others in this class of drone, at this point, but I've been spoiled by better P3P performance. I would prefer to get it back. Maybe DJI will come up with a better solution over time.

Last edited:
I chimed in on another thread - but this seems more active re 1.6 FW - Cut / Paste
I took a shot and did all my FW updates too (figured if $!it hit the fan - I would return the P3P within 30 days)

Took it out for one battery's worth of flight - only thing I noticed was that the gimbal was not level/parallel with the ground anymore (with P3P on flat surface). I tried to auto calibrate the gimbal once and than again after a flight/landing.

Just wanted to chime in to see if anybody else noticed that? No big deal - I just adjusted the roll -1.0 and it solved it.

Looked at my flight log of before / after FW update - I was on FW 1.4x before - vertical speed is still the same (about 10.7mph)

Looked at my flight log of before / after FW update - I was on FW 1.4x before - vertical speed is still the same (about 10.7mph)
So you're saying with 1.6 you still get 10.7mph consistently, for a full 300' climb straight up? Is the speed test results the same at 100% charge and 40% charge, 10.7mph? Do you have the new motor or old motor style?

So you're saying with 1.6 you still get 10.7mph consistently, for a full 300' climb straight up? Is the speed test results the same at 100% charge and 40% charge, 10.7mph? Do you have the new motor or old motor style?

I am still breaking my fresh batteries in - so it was anywhere between 100% - 60% (cause by 60% - I was reeling it back in to get it back to base by 50%). But I only went up to 80m/262' cause I wanted to see where I wanted to set my RTH height.

I have the new motors on the updated W323A.

Pretty sure that is illegal and unenforceable, since the city doesn't have any jurisdiction over its own airspace, no matter how much they would like to think that they do. It's not even something passed by a state, but a city council. FAIL.

I did the most recent firmware update last week, and today I went out to fly and it said on my app that a battery update needed to be done. Is there a video or tutorial on how old the battery update is done or is it done by the remote upgrade.

Flew 3 batteries worth of time yesterday on my P3 Advanced (original model/motors) after upgrading to 1.6 version in 30 degree F weather, light winds. Noticed absolutely no difference in flight (full speed up and out at 45 degrees, seemed a bit slower on the descent); no issues with vibration of the P3 and no problems with video transmissions/controls on my iPad mini4. Same fun flying as its always been since day one in May 2015.

I have only flew 2 batteries since upgraded to firmware 1.6. Since I am more a gentle flyer (trying to capture smooth video when possible) and not accelerate hard or ascend fast, I haven't noticed any change in the flight character of my P3A. A rock-solid stable flyer.

Since upgrading the stock firmware 1.3 to 1.5, then recently to 1.6, some times I thought I noticed some drifting when I tried to fly it straight, but other times it just flew as straight as a line, so I cannot conclude any drifting problem with mine like some other owners have experienced.

WOOF THIS THRED IS GIVING ME A HEADACHE- LOL -ROFL- GOOD LUCK GUYS !
untitled1.png

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl