Phantom 3 Professional Firmware v1.6.0040

I wonder if the battery updates stick, doing that. I just bit the bullet and updated everything. All went well. Flying shortly and will report back.

Reactions: Psycdude
Happy to report that I'm fully up to date with everything and my first flight after doing so a excellent. No video dropouts, no problems whatsoever and it turned out to be a bit blustery up around 150'. All good. I had to land around 50% because it's started to drizzle out a bit more than I wanted to deal with. Nice to be up to date though!

From what people are saying, it seems to me that acceleration has been attenuated, not top speed. This should be empirically evident in a simple time to climb test of 50ft to 250 feet; followed by top speed perpendicular to wind direction.

Unfortunately, I can only report #s AFTER the upgrade. Numbers will tell the tale, but I suspect slower acceleration. This would prevent battery swell from cell damage/fault. P2 owners saw a lot of batteries lose function early, likely due to rapid high current draw... DJI's restriction may prevent that with the P3. It may also lessen stress crack formation or ESC malfunction.

Either way, acceleration isn't very important for my purposes. There are plenty of other racing quads to purchase.

Reactions: craighip
Finally someone with actual numbers!
JL, are those numbers from your own flight?
If so under what temperature conditions and do you see the same performance in different conditions?
Yes, those are my numbers. I've always noticed my bird would go up at 11mph upon full throttle in ad straight up vertical ascent before this week. Yesterday in 55F sunny conditions, just after my 1.6 upgrade, full throttle straight vertical ascent fluctuated between 5 and 6 mph. I also noticed that when giving it full throttle up and full forward simultaneously, the ascent angle went from about 35 degrees to about 15 degrees. This is something I do all the time, I can see the difference, so I know DJI has put a current draw limitation on the system that reduces the snappy performance it use to have, and it's not just in cold conditions, although it might be even worse performance in 30F weather.

Last edited:
Reactions: ParsnipHysorter
Well I just down graded and have back my same performance yeeeeeeehaaaaaa haaa
So did you reprogram all of your batteries to 1.5.30 firmware? Or did you only program one of your batteries with 1.5.30? If you didn't reprogram all of your batteries, do both the 1.5.30 and the 1.6 batteries provide the same performance?

I'm just wondering if the current limiting routine is within the battery firmware, or the mainboard firmware, or both. From what I read today, dirtybum (post #184) says that only the 1.5.30 battery firmware had the battery protection routine, which shuts off the power mid-flight, causing birds to fall from the sky. That's my only hesitance to roll back to 1.5.30, otherwise I would tomorrow.

Last edited:
First trouble after update : iPad Air DJI Go app miserably crash ... I had to clean and reinstall it ... but it's not an fw problem ...
Same problem. I'm scared to fly. I just had a P2plus fly away this weekend after a DW update

Im going today to Spain, so i don`t have time to upgrade to 1.6, but im i the only one who thing the reduction of speed is a good thing?

Theoretically it increases lifespan of all components from engines, to shell and of course battery, even by small numbers.

Also, im not a race speeder since normally im shooting video, except at more high altitudes....

Again (not sure here) i do believe old fw seems to me be a little more soft and gently than last ones....but here, maybe its a feeling mine and not a fact.

but im i the only one who thing the reduction of speed is a good thing?

fact.
No, it is a quick fix. Hopefully DJI will fix it

Reactions: aka1ceman
Im going today to Spain, so i don`t have time to upgrade to 1.6, but im i the only one who thing the reduction of speed is a good thing?

Theoretically it increases lifespan of all components from engines, to shell and of course battery, even by small numbers.

Also, im not a race speeder since normally im shooting video, except at more high altitudes....

Again (not sure here) i do believe old fw seems to me be a little more soft and gently than last ones....but here, maybe its a feeling mine and not a fact.

I'm with you... but I'm not on why needs a rocket ship drone. I use it as a camera platform and this does not change much anyway. There are times when I might need to go 36mph and I still can. It just takes an extra 1-2 seconds to get to that speed. What I get in return is a drone that does not fall out of shy and turns into a $1200 pile of metal and plastic.

Reactions: Mordor
So I guess you didn't notice the vertical accent speed went from 11mph at full throttle to 5 or 6 mph with the latest 1.6 firmware. That's not better performance in my book.

I have firmware 1.4 and RC firmware 1.5.7. Using the DJI Go app, I can't ascent faster than 6 m/s. Even back in the summer, when I still had firmware 1.1.9, I couldn't ascent faster than 6 m/s and descent faster than 3 m/s. (I checked my logs just now.)
So I don't understand the claims here. Unless, of course, other apps allow a faster ascent speed. I tried with Litchi on iOS and FPV Camera on iOS and couldn't ascent any faster.
Am I doing something wrong here? I still have the old 1.4 FW on all batteries.

Reactions: phantom13flyer
did my first proper flight on 1.6 firmware today, no problems at all with the performance of my advanced, flys straight and no motor vibrations. also did not notice any loss of flight speed. all in all fantastic firmware.

I read in the release notes that this update was to fix a problem with the batteries flying in cold weather. The temperature here has not hit 20 deg. F in a while and isn't likely to for a while. So my question is...what is too cold for these birds and just what problem was fixed? I've grounded my fleet for now until I figure out what's safe. Anyone?

Reactions: aka1ceman
What’s New:
1. In cold environments, propulsion output is automatically adjusted based on battery temperature and cell voltage. Horizontal and vertical speed is also decreased to avoid triggering battery protection.
2. Optimized battery management
Most of us are getting caught up in the cold environment aspect of what's new. Don't lose sight of number two. I don't figure many [any?] of us know exactly what was done in that regard but I think it's safe to say that optimization counts for some major things as well. Even if I lived in a full time warm climate, I still would have ended up deciding to upgrade- as much as I really didn't want to. I do not need to be worrying about battery troubles when I least expect them, no matter the temperature. I think most of you who have no history with trouble upgrading your system will find this update uneventful and in terms of flight behavior, almost no change- except peace of mind. Worth it. YMMV and my opinion only.

Reactions: Oso
Yes I do agree with the upgrades I have had over 300 flights this summer,fall and early winter .I have had no problems with my p3.this p3 is one of the first ones made.yes I have replaced the shell do to cracking.i have never had any problems with batteries one batt has 138 charges 96% life and other 121 86% life...hope this new update takes care of any problem in the future.fly safe

The other thing that time will tell is reduced reports of sudden drastic voltage drops reported in the go app while flying and especially flying with a battery not fully charged. This was reported more than anything else as of late. Hopefully the voltage drops evenly and consistently now, without errors or false reporting during flight in the app.

Reactions: Elkbowhunter

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ODIN Reviews