Phantom 3 Advanced fell over on landing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hey guys, so I just got my Phantom 3 a few days ago and I just took it out in some light to heavy winds for the first time. So I took off just fine but then the phantom started drifting crazily so I panicked and sent the phantom to the ground I wasn't thinking and tried to turn the motors off with CSC (I know this is wrong it was just an act out of panic)(I normally hand catch). Anyways the phantom of course fell over and the back two propellers hit the ground, they stopped and there was a loud screeching sound for about a second before I got it back under control and shut the motors off the correct way. I have already replaced the propellers, I just need to know if I damaged the motors in anyway. I know this was a very newbie mistake. Thank you.

Welcome to the club, I freaked when I heard that death "Screaching" I;m told the sound is the ESC trying to connect to an obstructed rotor, if you caught it quick, like I did, there was no motor damage, see if the obstructed motors turn the same, by hand, that feeling when you turn them, kind of a bumpy feel, but smooth.
Next time you fly feel motors soon as you shut down, all should be about the same temperature to the touch.
i.e- mine run 72-76 F. after a good, 15 minute flight.

I have done the same mistake myself...was distracted by a stranger asking questions about the drone, luckily no damage.

Welcome to the club, I freaked when I heard that death "Screaching" I;m told the sound is the ESC trying to connect to an obstructed rotor, if you caught it quick, like I did, there was no motor damage, see if the obstructed motors turn the same, by hand, that feeling when you turn them, kind of a bumpy feel, but smooth.
Next time you fly feel motors soon as you shut down, all should be about the same temperature to the touch.
i.e- mine run 72-76 F. after a good, 15 minute flight.

umm what? 72 degrees ? what are you talking about

Hey guys, so I just got my Phantom 3 a few days ago and I just took it out in some light to heavy winds for the first time. So I took off just fine but then the phantom started drifting crazily so I panicked and sent the phantom to the ground I wasn't thinking and tried to turn the motors off with CSC (I know this is wrong it was just an act out of panic)(I normally hand catch). Anyways the phantom of course fell over and the back two propellers hit the ground, they stopped and there was a loud screeching sound for about a second before I got it back under control and shut the motors off the correct way. I have already replaced the propellers, I just need to know if I damaged the motors in anyway. I know this was a very newbie mistake. Thank you.

Why were you flying in "heavy winds" ?
Why would you hand catch? Just bring the P3 over a nice surface and press the "auto land" button on DJI-Go App, you don't risk your fingers and that does a very nice job of bringing the unit down flat, level, and with no tip-overs. I respect others opinions and to each his own, I just can't see the logic of why you would hand catch. Below are some pictures of others that agree with your method. I would only hand catch on weekdays as the ER is less crowded then.

JhOYeNU.jpg
220500kyqegfnngi62m0ag.jpg

220459xm7ajssmsiggsjxx.jpg

Reactions: 10X and ROD PAINTER
extensions 1.jpg
For those that don't like to hand catch, There are extensions available for the Phantom's landing legs that prevent tipping over on rough surfaces or even rocking boats. I use them when I want to land along rocky creek beds at a distance. You can even make your own out of wooden dowels.
Less chance of injury to you or the Phantom.

Hand catch every single time. Do it properly and it's no problem.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

HAND CATCH!!!!!!!!!
I keep saying it. It is EASY even for a newbie.
Catch isn't really the right term. Hover and grab would be better.

Exactly.. Hover and grab. Pretty easy.. Make sure you are upwind.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I have no problem with anyone that chooses to hand catch their bird. I've done it from time to time. It's your P3, and I want you to enjoy it to the fullest.

But I do trip on the people that act like hand catching is the only way to go, and only idiots noobs choose to actually land their bird.

Why was the Phantom drifting? It should be very stable unless the winds were over about 15 - 20mph. Did you have full GPS signal?
There were some gusts of wind that hit right as I took off, I'm not certain but I am pretty sure it was switching back from non GPS to GPS

Why would you hand catch? Just bring the P3 over a nice surface and press the "auto land" button on DJI-Go App, you don't risk your fingers and that does a very nice job of bringing the unit down flat, level, and with no tip-overs. I respect others opinions and to each his own, I just can't see the logic of why you would hand catch. Below are some pictures of others that agree with your method. I would only hand catch on weekdays as the ER is less crowded then.

JhOYeNU.jpg

Some heavier gusts of wind hit as I took off, I guess heavy wasn't the right word. Medium would have been better. And yes I do use the auto-land feature a lot, today my actions were just out of panic.

JhOYeNU.jpg

are you saying that was a from a phantom ? I remember myth busters doing an episode and they couldn't even get these things to break the skin, only one that could was a pro model with wood or metal props ,designed to hold a movie camera up

Reactions: Wibble
the pictures of the cut up pilots are most likely due to carbon fiber props. i and hand catch every time. i pay attention and hold the corner of the landing gear firmly.

are you saying that was a from a phantom ? I remember myth busters doing an episode and they couldn't even get these things to break the skin, only one that could was a pro model with wood or metal props ,designed to hold a movie camera up

I was doing a 500mm build last November, and I made the HUGE mistake of testing my RC with 2 props on (I left them on for some stupid reason...). Anyway, the props were both on the same side and the motors spun up by accident. The quad tilted immediately and one prop whacked a chair leg and a piece of prop hit me in the ankle, almost bad enough for an ER run. So I'd say these props could cut you pretty good. These props were 1040 props, composite.

Those photos are NOTHING to do with hand catching. People keep reposting the same old crap time and time again!
Do a google image search and read up on what REALLY happened before posting false information please!!!!!!!!

Reactions: ROD PAINTER
Those photos are NOTHING to do with hand catching. People keep reposting the same old crap time and time again!
Do a google image search and read up on what REALLY happened before posting false information please!!!!!!!!

For your viewing pleasure (we'll just call you 9 fingers)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

27C275C9-298F-4BC1-A212-AA1EAEA9DE61_zpssohybfic.jpg

I have been flying RC since I was 14. Even at that age I was starting glow motors myself. A Rossi 61 at 20,000 rpm makes a drone seem like a desk fan!!!
Obviously if you are totally moronic and stupid you can hurt yourself on anything. I have yet to see ANY evidence of a nasty injury from a hand catch. I have seen PLENTY of evidence of damaged Phantoms tipping over on landing.
Stop scaremongering!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers