Phantom 3 Advanced fell over on landing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why don't you listen to the most experienced pilots on here?
Stop reading all the scaremongering - most of it is false information and urban myths.
hand catch is a skill everyone needs to learn. If you are flying off uneven ground or sand or in windy conditions it is essential.

I really appreciate your even-handed response but I still think you're wrong. New pilot + Windy Conditions + Hand-catch = Trip to the emergency room. If we're being honest, picking a sandy location (without a landing mat) and deciding to fly on a very windy day already shows inexperience for the pilot, but adding the suggestion that he should hand-catch a drone is just daft. I'm not going to get into a "joystick" measuring exercise with you on whose a more experienced pilot but there is no disputing that a modern drone like the Phantom is a dangerous machine that has no place near your hands when the blades are spinning and to suggest otherwise is irresponsible. I respect that you are fine taking risks like that, but encouraging a new pilot to do the same (under the conditions he described that day) shows just how inexperienced you are.

I really appreciate your even-handed response but I still think you're wrong. New pilot + Windy Conditions + Hand-catch = Trip to the emergency room. If we're being honest, picking a sandy location (without a landing mat) and deciding to fly on a very windy day already shows inexperience for the pilot, but adding the suggestion that he should hand-catch a drone is just daft. I'm not going to get into a "joystick" measuring exercise with you on whose a more experienced pilot but there is no disputing that a modern drone like the Phantom is a dangerous machine that has no place near your hands when the blades are spinning and to suggest otherwise is irresponsible. I respect that you are fine taking risks like that, but encouraging a new pilot to do the same (under the conditions he described that day) shows just how inexperienced you are.

My first landing with my V2 was a disaster. I listened to an experienced drone pilot and have always used hand catch ever since.
Are you saying that hand catching a drone is more dangerous than using a chainsaw or a lathe or milling machine? Or even worse driving?
Everything has dangers if you are clumsy and don't think them through.

My first landing with my V2 was a disaster. I listened to an experienced drone pilot and have always used hand catch ever since.
And what did the experienced drone pilot recommend?

Hand catching, even for a new pilot is not as dangerous as some would lead you to believe. In GPS mode, even on a windy day it is entirely possible to hand catch the craft if done smartly. My 13 yr old routinely hand catches my drone when I fly off the beach. He was taught how to do it safely.
As far as experience, I've seen more than my fair share of pilots walking up and touching 50lb 3D machines doing tail stands, testing planes by holding them in the air while someone else runs the motor up. Their faces mere inches from a spinning machete or trying to finger start engines without a bump stick.
Anything can be dangerous if done without thought, training or a respect for what's being done.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: m0j0 and Wibble
And what did the experienced drone pilot recommend?

Hand catching of course.
In another post someone mentioned the best reasons ever for hand catching. If there are kids or animals around. That seals it for me. You are entitled to your beliefs as are all other opponents of it just people shouldnt post false information and pictures of it.
I am not going to reply further on this I don't want to upset the mods!

That's what they said ! LMFAO
That's probably true... LOL. I have done it about 300 times thus far without a single incident. If someone can't do it, doesn't want to risk it or is just afraid. Land it on the ground.

Go ahead and land it on the beach, uneven surfaces, dirt roads, desert and rocks... then you can buy new birds when your engines fail, new props and motors when you tip over and bury it.. LOL.

Lifes all about choices. Have fun and do it your way.

Reactions: Wibble
Are you saying that hand catching a drone is more dangerous than using a chainsaw or a lathe or milling machine? Or even worse driving?
Everything has dangers if you are clumsy and don't think them through.

I promise I'm not trying to argue with you but if there is a safer and saner alternative to a dangerous thing like hand-catching, why take the more dangerous option. All of the other things you mention (chainsaw, lathe) take time and skill to master and cutting small trees before tacking a mighty oak is the right way to approach it. I'm not saying that hand-catching is a totally wrong practice, I do when I'm landing in tight quarters (like a boat) but it's never my first choice and the absolutely wrong one for a new flyer to try. Flying drones responsibly is something that takes time and practice to master and one of the most basic skills is landing safely. Skipping that step just makes hand catching more dangerous.

Hand catching of course.
OK I read your post wrong. Thought you meant the experienced pilot recommended landing. Not trying to be argumentative, I was just curious what happened on your first landing that made it a disaster. I have seen many disaster stories here because the op used CSC after landing.

I am new too this and only take off and land from the ground from a card table that might only be 3 feet square, its an old wooded card table from the 1950 -1960. Or maybe it could be older. My Grand Pa used to cut watermelons on it after the Civil War with his sword. I know some of you are going to ask what a card table is.
Drone Pictures July 11,2016 001.JPG

Reactions: Mark The Droner
I have been flying RC since I was 14. Even at that age I was starting glow motors myself. A Rossi 61 at 20,000 rpm makes a drone seem like a desk fan!!!
Obviously if you are totally moronic and stupid you can hurt yourself on anything. I have yet to see ANY evidence of a nasty injury from a hand catch. I have seen PLENTY of evidence of damaged Phantoms tipping over on landing.
Stop scaremongering!!!
Sorry, but it's no scare mongering. cut up my fingers with stock propellers on a Phantom 1.

Looks like nobody is listening Dirk!
I agree Wibble so if we are through helping answer the OP's question I think we shall just move on to another thread .
closed.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl