Phantom 3 Advanced fell over on landing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like I said, hand catch all you want. More power to you.

But my recommendation to anyone that wants to fly copters of any kind is to learn how to land them. If you can't land it, maybe you shouldn't be flying it.

I have been flying RC since I was 14. Even at that age I was starting glow motors myself. A Rossi 61 at 20,000 rpm makes a drone seem like a desk fan!!!
Obviously if you are totally moronic and stupid you can hurt yourself on anything. I have yet to see ANY evidence of a nasty injury from a hand catch. I have seen PLENTY of evidence of damaged Phantoms tipping over on landing.
Stop scaremongering!!!
You don't have to be moronic and stupid to have an accident. I've no problem with you guys who like to hand catch - it's your life. I do have a problem with zealots preaching this nonsense to noobs. Any good pilot needs to know how to land.

Reactions: deltamike and 10X
For your viewing pleasure (we'll just call you 9 fingers)

27C275C9-298F-4BC1-A212-AA1EAEA9DE61_zpssohybfic.jpg
What a waste of perfectly good produce!

Hi, This happened to me and was not quick enough to get to the PeP and burnt out a motor. And no warrant. So I bought one more and put on prop guards so It doesn't happen again. I sure want end up like the photos of that poor guy cut. So if you are new to these drones land it with prop guards on.
John

You don't have to be moronic and stupid to have an accident. I've no problem with you guys who like to hand catch - it's your life. I do have a problem with zealots preaching this nonsense to noobs. Any good pilot needs to know how to land.

You joined here 1st of July so I bow down to your superior knowledge..........
Maybe noobs shouldn't preach to people with more experience?

Reactions: telescott
Reading these posts again I really don't know why I bother trying to help people. All you get are people posting fake information to reinforce their lack of experience.

Put prop guards on - land it on auto and go inside and have a beer you will be much safer!

Reactions: cfd701
Piperjon I wasn't having a go at you!
Prop guards should only be used for indoor flying or amongst trees. They add drag and can cause VRS which has caused many drones to crash.
Also you have to be very careful fitting them because if you mess around with the screws that DJI have overtightened then you can end up with stress cracks.

Hover & grab here. Just be extra careful while grab it. It is safer for the AC, the gimbal, the camera and you can't do a CSC to kill the motors.

Reactions: Wibble and m0j0
But I do trip on the people that act like hand catching is the only way to go, and only idiots noobs choose to actually land their bird.
I agree with that. I think it is pretty easy to land it. If you have a problematic landing you break props. If you have a problematic issue hand catching the consequences are far greater. I have a means of doing it that I feel fairly comfortable with, hover-and-grab technique. I have seen guys hand catch where I'm thinking that is pretty dangerous. I actually saw a guy fly his bird to him a chest height, while smoking a cig, reach out and snag it. It wasn't moving fast but it looked really sketchy. To each his/her own.

Reactions: Wibble
recommendation to anyone that wants to fly copters of any kind is to learn how to land them. If you can't land it, maybe you shouldn't be flying it.
I don't think landing is any problem at all. These things are pretty easy to set down. The problem is what you are landing on. Most of the time I'm landing in desert or dirt or on an uneven surface there are a host of things that go wrong landing in those situations.

I do have a problem with zealots preaching this nonsense to noobs. Any good pilot needs to know how to land.
Any good pilot... LOL... Really.... , you act like it takes skill to put these things down. It doesn't. They can land on their own.

Reactions: Wibble
I have not seen any where that the prop guards cause any problems. I have them on my new P3P after the last drop out of the sky and landed on it's side and smoke came out of the motor plus that noise. I pull the battery out of the drone to stop it as nothing would stop that motor smoking. I them went to remove the props and i grabbed the bloody hot motor not knowing it was that one and burnt 3 fingers really bad. No warranty my problem!!! So after seeing and reading about prop guards .That's what I did. So it is better to remover the guard all together plus the pieces that hold the guards on the drone????

I have not seen any where that the prop guards cause any problems. I have them on my new P3P after the last drop out of the sky and landed on it's side and smoke came out of the motor plus that noise. I pull the battery out of the drone to stop it as nothing would stop that motor smoking. I them went to remove the props and i grabbed the bloody hot motor not knowing it was that one and burnt 3 fingers really bad. No warranty my problem!!! So after seeing and reading about prop guards .That's what I did. So it is better to remover the guard all together plus the pieces that hold the guards on the drone????

The P3 is less of a problem with VRS than the P2 but guards do add to your problems. They also create a lot of drag so in windy conditions the aircraft is harder to control and has less range and speed.
As to removal if you are happy with them then leave them there. Otherwise just be careful with the screws.

Would I hand catch?

NO ! Only idiots do that

YES - If the ground is uneven, dusty or sandy. Only idiots land on that.

So I think we might all be idiots :(

At the end of the day its up to the pilot to decide, and we are all aware of what MIGHT happen.

If you hold in a steady hover for at least five seconds and then grab then the chances of any mishap are reduced considerably.

I cant help feeling that most if not all accidents happen when the a/c is flying towards the pilot and he grabs it as it is passing.

However, I always use a landing mat and land it in auto or throttle down.

I would suggest you avoid the "hand catch" at all costs, especially for a newbie. The Phantom is essentially a blender that is able to achieve flight and putting your fingers or your face anywhere those spinning ninja blades is a huge mistake, especially on a windy day like you described. Landing the drone safely is one of the most basic skills you can learn for your new drone and the trickiest. Often times new pilots fire up the bird, push the stick forward and fly, which is the easiest part. Take some time to do a few takeoffs and landings every time you go out to fly. This will help improve your skill and also warm up the motors before a longer flight. The other option is to add an aftermarket landing gear that attaches to the stock ones on the Phantom. These provide a wider base that makes landing easier and are removable so as you get better with landing they can be removed. I hope this helps, keep flying.

Reactions: BayouBill
You joined here 1st of July so I bow down to your superior knowledge..........
Maybe noobs shouldn't preach to people with more experience?
Maybe I don't have as much experience as you but been flying RC for 50 years. Building and flying multi rotors only for 7 years though.:D P3 is my first RTF bird.

Last edited:
I would suggest you avoid the "hand catch" at all costs, especially for a newbie. The Phantom is essentially a blender that is able to achieve flight and putting your fingers or your face anywhere those spinning ninja blades is a huge mistake, especially on a windy day like you described. Landing the drone safely is one of the most basic skills you can learn for your new drone and the trickiest. Often times new pilots fire up the bird, push the stick forward and fly, which is the easiest part. Take some time to do a few takeoffs and landings every time you go out to fly. This will help improve your skill and also warm up the motors before a longer flight. The other option is to add an aftermarket landing gear that attaches to the stock ones on the Phantom. These provide a wider base that makes landing easier and are removable so as you get better with landing they can be removed. I hope this helps, keep flying.

Why don't you listen to the most experienced pilots on here?
Stop reading all the scaremongering - most of it is false information and uban myths.
hand catch is a skill everyone needs to learn. If you are flying off uneven ground or sand or in windy conditions it is essential.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik