P3Std Flip/Spin-Flip on Launch

Reaction score
Just acquired my first DJI product (P3 Std), used from a friend. I'm excited to get this unit in the air, but am having launch issues.

On auto launch from the DJI GO app, P3 spins up and almost instantly flips upside down to the right.

On manual launch with the controller both LF and RR motors stutter and turn slowly while the other two spin up to idle.
On throttle up, the P3 spins (yaws) to the right and then flips upside down.

Did an IMU calibration night before, firmware update was done yesterday, GO app seems to have great connection.

Did a compass calibration last night, as well.

Any suggestions?

Robert

Did your friend experience any issues like this?

Did you make any changes to the Phantom since acquiring it from your friend?

Are you using OEM DJI props and are they attached to the correct motors?

Didn't happen to put the wrong props on the wrong shaft did you?

Sounds to me like either bad ESCs or bad motors
One would think if that were true, there would have been Motor Obstruction errors, or similar notification. The OP didn't specify, so who knows.

Didn't happen to put the wrong props on the wrong shaft did you?
I agree check that black shaft dot on motor to black dot on prop....silver dot on motor shaft to silver dot on prop ! and how did you perform the compass calibration ? like where did you go thru the 2 motions with the quad for a compass calibrate ? Outside ? on your driveway....in the street..........................OR WAY Way out In the middle of a open field !

I didn't make any physical changes.
(RF motor mount has fractures from prior crash, but friend said it still flew for him with the cracks.)
He said he had not experienced this.

These are OEM props and they are attached correctly. One (RF) is now about 10mm shorter
I even did an idle up (no pops) in the house and checked motor direction. They are correct.

Updated firmware last night.

I agree check that black shaft dot on motor to black dot on prop....silver dot on motor shaft to silver dot on prop ! and how did you perform the compass calibration ? like where did you go thru the 2 motions with the quad for a compass calibrate ? Outside ? on your driveway....in the street..........................OR WAY Way out In the middle of a open field !

the props are on correctly.
Compass calibration I did in Myrtle living room.
Probably should have gone outside.

You might have a bad motor or 2. The same thing happened to me when I got my P3s.

Seems unusual to have 2 motors go bad simultaneously. Even ESCs...
I don't think ESCs are replaceable on this unit. I think you have to replace the entire board.

Thoughts on doing a firmware reinstall or downgrade?

I didn't make any physical changes.
(RF motor mount has fractures from prior crash, but friend said it still flew for him with the cracks.)
He said he had not experienced this.

These are OEM props and they are attached correctly. One (RF) is now about 10mm shorter
I even did an idle up (no pops) in the house and checked motor direction. They are correct.

Updated firmware last night.

the props are on correctly.
Compass calibration I did in Myrtle living room.
Probably should have gone outside.
Yes.....Never calibrate a compass inside a house....way way too many things to disturb the compass....You need to get out in a wide open field with no close power wires or hopefully no water or gas pipes that's buried their...and then go thru the calibration process and when you rotate the quad.....rotate it past the 360 degs a little then back it UP to be sure you have made the circle with not a gap.....Good Luck and i hope that you get a answer here on the error with the running of the props...and Get Airborne asap !

What do you mean by this what you said above : One (RF) is now about 10mm shorter ?

Last edited:
Here's a video of what it's doing on arming.
LF and RR both stutter start. The LF sometimes begins to spin. The RR will spin if I hand spin it, but it still doesn't spin up for launch.

On the DJI GO app I do consistently get warnings for strong signal interference, but I don't think that's causing this.

Yes.....Never calibrate a compass inside a house....way way too many things to disturb the compass....You need to get out in a wide open field with no close power wires or hopefully no water or gas pipes that's buried their...and then go thru the calibration process and when you rotate the quad.....rotate it past the 360 degs a little then back it UP to be sure you have made the circle with not a gap.....Good Luck and i hope that you get a answer here on the error with the running of the props...and Get Airborne asap !

What do you mean by this what you said above : One (RF) is now about 10mm shorter ?
one prop tip clipped the driveway and about 1cm broke off one end.

Firstly, even with just the rear right motor behaving like that there is absolutely no point trying to take off. It spins clockwise because even if only the rear right (CW motor) is compromised, you have two CCW motors spinning up with either one or zero CW motors to balance them, so the entire aircraft acquires CW angular momentum instead. It flips because it has highly unbalanced thrust. You have at least one and probably, from your description, two broken motors.

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
Yes - that looks to me more like a motor problem rather than an ESC problem - at least from my limited experience.

Of course, we know the ignition cables are soldered to the correct places and not reversed, right?

I understand the physics behind it.
I think it's odd that the motors would spin but not fully. Also that two would be doing it.
As far as wiring, this is the original wiring so no way they could have become switched inside the shell.

Just did a check. Looks like when he removed the prop guards he went back with the long screws on the outside of the arms. Thinking this may have messed up two motors.

Definite cause and a somewhat common occurrence.
Two new motors and you’re good to go. Be sure to by proper type for correct shaft thread direction.

Reactions: JoBe

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20