P4 doing back flips on launch

Reaction score
Today I went to launch and 4 times in a row, the drone would start to launch and immediately do a backflip off the plastic case I launch it from and land upside down, breaking a prop at one point. Seems like perhaps 2 of the rotors are not kicking on right away or with enough strength and the other two cause it to flip backwards. Any ideas, drone gurus? Got a big day tomorrow and I need to figure this out. Thank you in advance!

Reactions: Hounddog
Today I went to launch and 4 times in a row, the drone would start to launch and immediately do a backflip off the plastic case I launch it from and land upside down, breaking a prop at one point. Seems like perhaps 2 of the rotors are not kicking on right away or with enough strength and the other two cause it to flip backwards.
Auto takeoff or manual? You may need to supply some data to figure this out.

Are you sure the props were attached to the correct motors? That's usually the cause of backflips on takeoff.

The only time that I ever advance the throttle rapidly to the stop is during takeoff. Full up it goes until the copter is at about 10’ or so. Then, if all looks good, off it goes, and I tend to be very light on the controls thereafter.

The reason that I do this is because I have seen a lesser application of throttle result in the copter tipping a bit prior to liftoff. You may have other issues, but check that all your prop mounts are tight, and try putting the coal to it on takeoff.

Are you sure the props were attached to the correct motors? That's usually the cause of backflips on takeoff.

As far as I can tell there is absolutely no way to put the P4 props on the wrong motors. The tabs are the wrong way around and so they just won't lock on. If you start the motors the props just fly off immediately.

As far as I can tell there is absolutely no way to put the P4 props on the wrong motors
I've never been able to do it either. People somehow manage to do is sometimes though. Maybe they're using 3rd party props? Not sure.

Just wondering about the Drones past history........has it been OK before ? OR maybe since it was Repaired lately and your attempted take offs and the has problem started ?

Props were correct. Used auto-takeoff. Nothing had changed on my drone prior to this problem. Always used auto-takeoff, props correct (yes its nearly impossible to screw that up on P4). I didn't do anything differently and I use the drone regularly. This is the first time I've had any issues with my drone.

Props were correct. Used auto-takeoff. Nothing had changed on my drone prior to this problem. Always used auto-takeoff, props correct (yes its nearly impossible to screw that up on P4). I didn't do anything differently and I use the drone regularly. This is the first time I've had any issues with my drone.

I read thru some of your other posts, is there a chance that the battery you are using is bad, have you tried different batteries or are you using the same one ?

Would be very interested to see flight data

The battery is about a year old, used with no problems a few times previously. My stone is about 2.5 years old now. 32 hours of flight time on her. Maybe the motors need replacing?

The battery is about a year old, used with no problems a few times previously. My stone is about 2.5 years old now. 32 hours of flight time on her. Maybe the motors need replacing?

32 hours is nothing for those motors , it is much more likely that the battery is not providing enough juice , can you try a different battery ?

it is much more likely that the battery is not providing enough juice
Not likely the case at all. If that were the case the IMU and FC wwould not allow the motors to even start.

Reactions: Rick218

The Reason why I think its possible that it may be the battery is that after we Submerged Our Phantom 4 Pro into the deep water we were able to get the Phantom 4 pro to fully recover, However we had an issue with both Batteries that were submerged.

After re charging the batteries , we had a very shaky and unstable take off, so this is the thought process behind switching out the battery.

Considering it takes about 3 minutes to switch out a battery , I think it is worth trying and if not you can always send in the data logs and go down the rabbit hole.

I will try a different battery. I hand launched the drone in the midst of the issues and it was super wobbly hovering just above ground. Thanks for the advice. I never rule anything out when it comes to drones. I hope this does the trick!

Reactions: PhantomWetSuits
Wouldn't the logs indicate issues? It seems mnlike so many post problems and people guess as to possible causes. The logs are designed to help isolate issues yet it seems difficult to get people to post them.... JMHO

Reactions: PhantomWetSuits
Today I went to launch and 4 times in a row, the drone would start to launch and immediately do a backflip off the plastic case I launch it from and land upside down, breaking a prop at one point. Seems like perhaps 2 of the rotors are not kicking on right away or with enough strength and the other two cause it to flip backwards. Any ideas, drone gurus? Got a big day tomorrow and I need to figure this out. Thank you in advance!
Lifting off from the case may be causing this. If one side of the drone is over the case and the other is not, you'll end up with some of your props in ground effect and the others not. This will result in uneven lift between the props and flip it over.

Calibrate your IMU as soon as you can. If your Phantom has not had it's IMU calibrated, then there is your problem. Good Luck

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl