P3A fell out of sky... can someone look at data and explain???

Yes pilot error. Sorry about that.

To be brief about the Combination Stick Command (CSC) - They are safety features that kill the motors in an emergency.

Didn't know what csc was, was turning a spinning drone in the down position just showing friend how responsive, so that's a pilot error then huh? I didn't know that would shut motors off what is it anyways?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I am learning along with you. Just got my P3A yesterday but have watched literally hundreds of videos and read the manuals while waiting for delivery. Google CSC and watch the videos on you tube. It is mentioned in the manual with a warning but it's basically a self destruct button if you're in the air. Being a newbie and only having flown cheap drones before I am more comfortable flying the drone back to me backwards so the front of the drone is always facing away from me and the controls are not reversed. My first test flight was only 10 minutes last night, i flew up 100' and approximately 800' total distance away. I was bringing it home manually (backwards) and at the same time descending and realized having those 2 sticks down at the same time is too close to performing the shutdown CSC so i will not be making a habit of that and will practice turning around and getting used to the controls being reversed when you're looking at the bird coming at you. I have to believe had i not seen the videos and read the warnings i would have crashed down hard on my first flight.

I was bringing it home manually (backwards) and at the same time descending and realized having those 2 sticks down at the same time is too close to performing the shutdown CSC so i will not be making a habit of that and will practice turning around and getting used to the controls being reversed when you're looking at the bird coming at you.
Best to practice practice practice with a cheap toy drone that you can crash. Learn how to make figure 8's with the cheapie. It will quickly teach you the skills required and is much harder to fly then the Phantom as most of the cheapies don't have altitude hold. I would also tell you to learn to bring your Phantom home by using the telemetry. It helps and is more intuitive than watching the bird itself. Enjoy.

I've made it a habit to never go full left or right on either stick as I don't see any need for that except in an emergency situation. Full up/down is sometimes useful but full left/right less so, and avoiding full left or right on either stick will keep you away from CSC.

Mike

Reactions: D'sAdvanced
M Singer - did you notice the total silence from the battery critics crowd? As you ALWAYS say. Don't jump to conclusions before you see the data!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: HWCM
Best to practice practice practice with a cheap toy drone that you can crash. Learn how to make figure 8's with the cheapie. It will quickly teach you the skills required and is much harder to fly then the Phantom as most of the cheapies don't have altitude hold. I would also tell you to learn to bring your Phantom home by using the telemetry. It helps and is more intuitive than watching the bird itself. Enjoy.

I've been flying a cheapo for over a year now with automatic nothing and no FPV so when you're that high up sometimes my old man eyes can't tell the difference between front and back so it was easier to just always keep it facing forward. When you say telemetry you mean the map view? If so I could see that red arrow giving me direction being a life saver. Also,my first flight was in complete darkness so the red led's on front were really easy to see and kept me somewhat oriented. Don't know if you can see them that clearly in the daytime but plan on finding out after work. :)

Sorry but these P3's will fly on less than 10% even down to 0% - they don't just STOP - something else must be causing the total shutdown in flight ?...

Just as I thought... Pilot Error - 9 times out of 10 it is... so He did a CSC - and downed a perfectly good P3A... why fly these round like a fighter pilot its a flying camera !!!!

Reactions: FantomFlier
I've been flying a cheapo for over a year now with automatic nothing and no FPV so when you're that high up sometimes my old man eyes can't tell the difference between front and back so it was easier to just always keep it facing forward. When you say telemetry you mean the map view? If so I could see that red arrow giving me direction being a life saver. Also,my first flight was in complete darkness so the red led's on front were really easy to see and kept me somewhat oriented. Don't know if you can see them that clearly in the daytime but plan on finding out after work. :)
Get used to also check the little radar in the bottom corner. It is very useful to help determine orientation. In addition, practice figuring out the orientation by using the sticks, if you have LOS.

M Singer - did you notice the total silence from the battery critics crowd? As you ALWAYS say. Don't jump to conclusions before you see the data
Yes, it did get awfully quiet in here after the OP posted his log. I'm not going to blame people for trying to help though. It's nice to see people pitching in when others need help.

I payed money to fly it and have fun, wish that feature could be disabled.... Now that I understand it was my fault and that a feature kicked in I won't be doing that anymore. Now the question is will it be cheaper for me to buy a gimbal and put it on or send it in to let dji fix it...

Reactions: t2adze
I payed money to fly it and have fun, wish that feature could be disabled.... Now that I understand it was my fault and that a feature kicked in I won't be doing that anymore. Now the question is will it be cheaper for me to buy a gimbal and put it on or send it in to let dji fix it...

Maybe you should research the aircraft that are out there before purchasing. Sounds like you want something like the 10-12yr old's are playing with that does flips, ect. The Phantom 3 Advance was designed for aerial pic's and video. Regardless which ever route you go, do yourself a favor and read the manual prior to flight and get familiar with your aircraft.

Reactions: Mark The Droner
I would fix it myself. Either get a complete gimbal or repair yours.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I'm glad it was pilot error. It's one thing to learn from a mistake but totally different to be worried that your expensive toy could drop out of the sky at any moment

Lots of gimbal repair video on YouTube

The biggest tip I ever received regarding orientation was in a video. You don't actually have to be able to see the front of the AC. You just have to be able to see the AC.. That's it check out the video:

Reactions: bcescape

The feature is there to allow you to shut down your AC if something bad happens.. Or to prevent something real bad from happening.

I have used CSC to kill my helicopter lots of times when it was out of control. But I have never once thought of using it on the P3.
There are many people buying P3 as their first remote control aircraft. To them, just starting the motors with CSC likely seems strange.
Of all the CSC uses in flight I have seen on this forum, non were intentional. They need to implement it in a different way. Like the P4.

The biggest tip I ever received regarding orientation was in a video. You don't actually have to be able to see the front of the AC. You just have to be able to see the AC.. That's it check out the video:

Somehow i think this should've been common sense but I never thought of it. Great information. Used it today on my first flight, its a great tip for not getting disoriented.

Reactions: m0j0
I have used CSC to kill my helicopter lots of times when it was out of control. But I have never once thought of using it on the P3.

All of my non DJI multirotors will allow me to do anything I want with the sticks, they won't disarm in flight, unless I flip a switch that does exactly that. A switch that I must flip while the throttle is at zero, making the odds of an accidental disarming close to zero. The CSC's are disabled when the copter detects its in flight, and I cant for my live understand why DJI wouldnt do so either. I can understand even less why you'd want 4 stick combo's that do the exact same thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: BalooDK
Didn't know what csc was ... I didn't know that would shut motors off what is it anyways?
i-ZhRNmjb.jpg

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor