My Phantom 4 fell out of the sky.

Reaction score
My P4 fell out of the sky for no apparent reason. My guess is the new replacement battery was defective.
I had just flown for about 15 minutes. Landed and replaced the original battery with one I ordered from amazon which came in a set of two. I charged both batteries before the day of my event. After swapping the the original battery with the new battery...I took off and flew less than a minute and within my site. I looked at my monitor and it read no contact or something like that. I don’t remember the exact words. I begin to look up and around hoping it was somewhere. Someone asked if I was looking for my drone...they pointed to the parking lot and there it was upside down on the pavement. I have a short video documentary of my reenactment. I post last week but I have no idea where it is. I found the SD card the next day at the crash location along with parts of the wing and landing gear. The SD information could not be read. PLEASE HELP. I’m new to this stuff...any assistance is welcomed.

Attachments

• E360EA35-94DB-4B4A-8264-3BF55230E2D5.jpeg
    E360EA35-94DB-4B4A-8264-3BF55230E2D5.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 633
  • 9382573B-E982-4F30-ACEE-0EFA4FA71AE7.jpeg
    9382573B-E982-4F30-ACEE-0EFA4FA71AE7.jpeg
    6.8 MB · Views: 676
Reactions: RodPad
My P4 fell out of the sky for no apparent reason. My unction is the new replacement battery was defective.
I had just flown for about 15 minutes. Landed and replaced the original battery with one I ordered from amazon which came in a set of two. I charged both batteries before the day of my event. After swapping the the original battery with the new battery...I took off and flew less than a minute and within my site. I looked at my monitor and it read no contact or something like that. I don’t remember the exact words. I begin to look up and around hoping it was somewhere. Someone asked if I was looking for my drone...they pointed to the parking lot and there it was upside down on the pavement. I have a short video documentary of my reenactment. I post last week but I have no idea where it is. I found the SD card the next day at the crash location along with parts of the wing and landing gear. The SD information could not be read. PLEASE HELP. I’m new to this stuff...any assistance is welcomed.
Is it under warranty that looks like it hit awfully hard to break arm like that

My P4 fell out of the sky for no apparent reason. My guess is the new replacement battery was defective.
Your recorded flight data would quickly confirm whether the battery was or wasn't responsible.
Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a detailed report of the flight.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you.

Reactions: roosta
Hoping he submits flight data... just a guess but looks like battery was not secured properly?
Totally agree. Bottom half of battery was not fully engaged. Easy to overlook with a new battery that does not fit the same as the original. Sorry for your fall. Hope you're retrieved data will supply your answer.

Reactions: PhantomWetSuits
Ouch......

@Mr Bartee,
Welcome to the Forum!

We need your flight log from your mobile device.

There are instructions here: DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help

If you get stuck we will help you get out of the mud. ;)

Looks like @dirkclod already got you started in the right direction. :cool:

Rod

Reactions: dirkclod
Hoping he submits flight data... just a guess but looks like battery was not secured properly?
Totally agree. Bottom half of battery was not fully engaged. Easy to overlook with a new battery that does not fit the same as the original.
It's very common for the battery to become dislodged in even mild crashes.
It only needs the case to be slightly deformed.
It's not surprising that the battery is loose after an impact that caused this much damage.

Meta4,
Agree with you too. ? just don’t want the battery to become unsecured, loose, whatever BEFORE it hits the ground. I kind of think they’re supposed to pop out upon hard landing, they all seem to. Maybe a fire hazard or something. Oh well, that data will tell.

The gimbal seems to have an existing repair, significant?
With any battery that is new to you I'd suggest a couple of LOW test flights, right the way through its voltage range, to see how it behaves

Attachments

• E360EA35-94DB-4B4A-8264-3BF55230E2D5 c&p.jpg
    E360EA35-94DB-4B4A-8264-3BF55230E2D5 c&p.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 364
Were your new batteries DJI OEM's?

It's very common for the battery to become dislodged in even mild crashes.
It only needs the case to be slightly deformed.
It's not surprising that the battery is loose after an impact that caused this much damage.
Guess we will never know as no logs were sent it to assist in determining the possible cause...

It is so annoying when people post, asking for help, and then disappear :(
And anyway we're waiting to see what happened!
As it's a learning tool for the OP and interested readers... I concur completely. Thank you to all those who share their wisdom and experience!

You have to make sure the battery pack is securly clicked in. When I change batteries I check that each time. I also make sure the Props are still secure before going back up. It is these ittle things that keep our drones in the air!

Mr Bartee, you asked a question, there has been a whole lot of good advice and suggestions, you have been asked for your flight log so we can analyse it help answer your question and you are ignoring us! Why did you ask the question in the first place?

Reactions: Rick218
Either the battery was a defective from Amazon (not genuine), or it was dislodged. Flight records should determine this. Wonder why he never bothered to reply?

Either the battery was a defective from Amazon (not genuine), or it was dislodged. Flight records should determine this. Wonder why he never bothered to reply?
I have lost 2 phantom 4 pros in a month both had generic batteries from Amazon. Would fly for 10 minutes then just drop. The battery sides are a light green.

Welcome to the forum!!

Rod ..

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl