P3 SE - solution to switching between FCC and CE mode, I used both, and it works for sure!

Was this helpful?

• Yesss!

Votes: 13 100.0%
  • No, useless...

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Have some attention to the posting of Andy in #173 (Psycho Andy, Friday at 7:56 PM). If you are running a 3.1.8 version of DJI Go then it should be possible to modificate it with the config files in this posting.

Theoretically, a flight distance of more than 4 km (with 1.5 watts) should then be possible.

Reactions: Psycho Andy
I also made a quick test with 3.1.8. app version. Can confirm it will NEVER try to switch back to CE mode, even if drone loose comm with RC. So this solution looks pretty stable, but off course it will work only on 5.8 GHz since there is no switch in 3.1.8 ver. to do it.
While installing older version, I didn't even bother to uninstall 3.1.23, just ran installation over it. And it works that way, no problem.

Conclusion for all this mess DJI made would be: It is all about application behavior, FCC-CE switch over has nothing to do with drone or RC. Application "decides" whether we are in the right region or not. So my guess would be, let us wait for Litchi and be happy. I have two Litchi versions (4.1.2 and 4.3.0 BETA) but neither of those works on Android so no test could be done.

Maybe to try with some other third party apps? Kittyhawk wil not work on Android neither, but looks nice :)

I also made a quick test with 3.1.8. app version. Can confirm it will NEVER try to switch back to CE mode, even if drone loose comm with RC. So this solution looks pretty stable, but off course it will work only on 5.8 GHz since there is no switch in 3.1.8 ver. to do it.
While installing older version, I didn't even bother to uninstall 3.1.23, just ran installation over it. And it works that way, no problem.

Conclusion for all this mess DJI made would be: It is all about application behavior, FCC-CE switch over has nothing to do with drone or RC. Application "decides" whether we are in the right region or not. So my guess would be, let us wait for Litchi and be happy. I have two Litchi versions (4.1.2 and 4.3.0 BETA) but neither of those works on Android so no test could be done.

Maybe to try with some other third party apps? Kittyhawk wil not work on Android neither, but looks nice :)
Kittyhawk is a beautiful app but is mainly designed for the American user. Perhaps they will discover in the future that the world is bigger than the American continent.

Another question. Do you experience any problems with the inlog function with DJI Go 3.1.8?

Kittyhawk is a beautiful app but is mainly designed for the American user. Perhaps they will discover in the future that the world is bigger than the American continent.

Another question. Do you experience any problems with the inlog function with DJI Go 3.1.8?

What do you mean about "inlog" function? Camera button maybe?
If so, had no problem to enter camera view. All I could see was a bit lagging video feed, but that could also be because of my home environment or my Samsung Tab A tablet I was using. Will try in flight maybe tomorrow.

About Kittyhawk, I had it on my Android and seems all functions works nice except flight module which is unavailable for Android at the moment. But looks promising.

So, in the end the solution to go back to fcc mode is this:

1 - Uninstal Dji Go app from your mobile, also delete DJI folder and the two hidden folders .HereMaps and AMAP

2 - Install Fake Gps, launch and point it to some place in the USA (you need internet connection to see the map) NOTE: Be sure tu only use gps for positioning services!

3 - Install Dji go 3.1.23 or any recent version you want that actually switches from fcc to ce. Launch it and log in then exit app and shut internet connection, better delete any wifi nearby.

4 - Turn receiver on and connect mobile and receiver.

5 - Turn on aircraft and let it bind to receiver

6 - Launch Dji go and enter camera view, wait for the wlan window to show and click OK. Edit** Once the remote restarts gon in the frequency page and check you only have 11 channels under the 2.4ghz option so you are sure you entered fcc mode **

7 - Unistall dji go and delete all the folders as in point 1

8 - Install dji go app 3.1.8 (here is a link Free Download APK File of the DJI GO v3.1.8 for Android - APK4Fun )

9 - launch dji go and log in

Now you can turn fake gps off and you're ready to fly as you always did!
I think there's not realy need of fake gps when you install 3.1.8 version, but I haven't check so this way I'm sure it works!
FIRMWARE version: I used 1.3.20 just because I had this on, but I don't think it will affect the result, I'll check this too later
Ok, so i tryed this method. and on step 6 i checked on frequency page and i had 11 chanels. after i come to step 8, and instaled dji app v3.1.8. i loged in , and connected to aircraft, and uninstaled fake GPS, when i click on camera, i connected, and my picture was losing and connecting, getting gray, and getin in color, and when i tap on frequency page, it just showed me name of controller and password. and picture wasnt able to be connected and be stable. so i tryed to update dji app, and when i update it, it just come as it was at the firs plase, but connection with drone was stable. do you have anu sugestion???

Ok, so i tryed this method. and on step 6 i checked on frequency page and i had 11 chanels. after i come to step 8, and instaled dji app v3.1.8. i loged in , and connected to aircraft, and uninstaled fake GPS, when i click on camera, i connected, and my picture was losing and connecting, getting gray, and getin in color, and when i tap on frequency page, it just showed me name of controller and password. and picture wasnt able to be connected and be stable. so i tryed to update dji app, and when i update it, it just come as it was at the firs plase, but connection with drone was stable. do you have anu sugestion???
Maybe you should let it rest for awhile while connected. You can try also to reconnect only the app while RC and AC are still connected. I to sometimes experience the same bug, but usually outside there is no problem. For now using the 3.1.8 version is the only way to stay in FCC mode. I too noticed that 3.1.23 version combined with the latest AC FW was very stable, but flying only 2-3 hundred meters is a no go for me. We could call this method beta probably until there is way to fly in FCC with the latest FW and latest app version. :)

I can't tell about your connection problem, but the 3.1.8 app will ONLY show the phantom wifi datas as it was yet not possibile to switch between 2.4 and 5ghz.
...well, to be fully honest it's no longer possible if dji don't solve this bug!
But nevermind...
All I can say we finally can fly this nice phantom 3 SE SAFELY, without all the disconnectiong due to poor signal and that's great!
This is just a momentary solution, I'm already trying to find a way to modify the actual app to avoid the wlan window but I'm bit more "rusted" than I thought in computer programming! lol!
It shouldn't be very difficult if someone more experienced (and less "rusted") than me can take a look and compar 1.3.8 code with 1.3.23 code.

I still have to try with the 1.5.40 firmware, but it seems very clear all depends on the app... I'm sorry, but after all the things I've tryed today I just wanted to fly! lol!

What I can say is that, finally, it's been easy to have the drone follow a river with tree between us, even a low hill, with no signal loss!

I've been able to fly 1200 meters too in another place and I still had full signal (no weack video signal message), and it's an important thing not for the distance, but because I could only reach 1000 meters there when I checked the drone for the first times (before 1.5.40 firmware) and that confirm what I already suspected: the 2.4ghz frequency grant bigger range!
Can this be reason why we can't use it anymore? Just because DJI did not want a cheap drone to reach what more expensive ones do?

Well, now it's all a matter of time and "programming" to get a better working app! ;)
Thanx everybody for your great help!

Yes, it can be done with 3.1.8 app. No need to choose drone. After you establish WiFi connection Phone - RC, application will recognize Phantom 3 SE drone. Than just press Camera button and voila!
Only problem I can see is no 2.4 GHz option and a bit of lag in video feed (but that lag can be because of my Samsung Tab A device).

Check your settings for flight parameters (RTH behavior etc...) and you are free to go!.
It is a nice day here and I'm going out with my 2 batteries to burn them down :)))

One note about some flight parameters, especially RTH behavior, distance and height. It is all stored in drone memory, so you should have no problem if not tampered with.
That because if you fully uninstall the app and reinstall it again, those parameters are not changed (off course, drone has to be connected to RC and RC to Phone).

I can't tell about your connection problem, but the 3.1.8 app will ONLY show the phantom wifi datas as it was yet not possibile to switch between 2.4 and 5ghz.
...well, to be fully honest it's no longer possible if dji don't solve this bug!
But nevermind...
All I can say we finally can fly this nice phantom 3 SE SAFELY, without all the disconnectiong due to poor signal and that's great!
This is just a momentary solution, I'm already trying to find a way to modify the actual app to avoid the wlan window but I'm bit more "rusted" than I thought in computer programming! lol!
It shouldn't be very difficult if someone more experienced (and less "rusted") than me can take a look and compar 1.3.8 code with 1.3.23 code.

I still have to try with the 1.5.40 firmware, but it seems very clear all depends on the app... I'm sorry, but after all the things I've tryed today I just wanted to fly! lol!

What I can say is that, finally, it's been easy to have the drone follow a river with tree between us, even a low hill, with no signal loss!

I've been able to fly 1200 meters too in another place and I still had full signal (no weack video signal message), and it's an important thing not for the distance, but because I could only reach 1000 meters there when I checked the drone for the first times (before 1.5.40 firmware) and that confirm what I already suspected: the 2.4ghz frequency grant bigger range!
Can this be reason why we can't use it anymore? Just because DJI did not want a cheap drone to reach what more expensive ones do?

Well, now it's all a matter of time and "programming" to get a better working app! ;)
Thanx everybody for your great help!

Yes, I will try to compare both apps files compositions to find out which files are responsible for that freaking FCC-CE switching. Maybe we can do some operating Hybrid app within 3.1.23 environment :)

I tried some other apps (Litchi, Drone Deploy, Pix4D, Harmony...). Since there is no SDK released yet, those apps are not working with Phantom 3 SE. DJI sucks!

OK, after my today flights, I'm convinced FCC works limitless with 3.1.8 app. Few times app crashed on me while drone was like 500m away, but was able to restore it and continue with my flight. Had few signal breakdowns for no understandable reason, I believe this app is just not 100% compatible with P3SE. Nevertheless, in those few occasions I was able to initiate RTH with S2 switch and drone done exactly what it supposed to do. Came back to daddy. Also, you have to be prepared for some video lag, believe for the same reason - this app version is just not 100% compatible with P3SE.

Note: If app crashes, drone will hover in place waiting for your command. If you are not able to restart the app and you are not sure where the drone exactly is, just rock twice S2 switch and there you go... It can be a bit scary, but don't worry. Only mandatory thing you have to do is proper RTH setup - don't forget to choose option "Return to Home" in case of signal lost, proper RTH altitude and choose option "Smart RTH". The last one will ensure your drone will initiate RTH command considering battery status and distance to home point.

So, it was a really enjoyable afternoon for me, flying all around within 700 meters with full video signal strength. Since it was my first in flight testing with this app, didn't push it further but for sure it can go over 1 km with no problem at all.

By the way, I have 2 batteries - 1 original Phantom and one PH3. Both gave me same results considering flight time and reliability. WoooW, what a refreshing experience today...

OK, after my today flights, I'm convinced FCC works limitless with 3.1.8 app. Few times app crashed on me while drone was like 500m away, but was able to restore it and continue with my flight. Had few signal breakdowns for no understandable reason, I believe this app is just not 100% compatible with P3SE. Nevertheless, in those few occasions I was able to initiate RTH with S2 switch and drone done exactly what it supposed to do. Came back to daddy. Also, you have to be prepared for some video lag, believe for the same reason - this app version is just not 100% compatible with P3SE.

Note: If app crashes, drone will hover in place waiting for your command. If you are not able to restart the app and you are not sure where the drone exactly is, just rock twice S2 switch and there you go... It can be a bit scary, but don't worry. Only mandatory thing you have to do is proper RTH setup - don't forget to choose option "Return to Home" in case of signal lost, proper RTH altitude and choose option "Smart RTH". The last one will ensure your drone will initiate RTH command considering battery status and distance to home point.

So, it was a really enjoyable afternoon for me, flying all around within 700 meters with full video signal strength. Since it was my first in flight testing with this app, didn't push it further but for sure it can go over 1 km with no problem at all.

By the way, I have 2 batteries - 1 original Phantom and one PH3. Both gave me same results considering flight time and reliability. WoooW, what a refreshing experience today...

About the LAG:
I forgot to say this thing I noticed!
My first fligth was perfect, no lag at all and all working great!
Then I flew my second battery and experienced video lag getting worse and worse!
I realized only after I got it back that I flew my hubsan H501A using the tablet in between and it resulted that I only had to free memory!
SO always remember to have your tab clean and all apps shut and it will work fine!
I have a Huawei M3 tablet if it's of any help and with keeping this in mind I had no issues with the two batteries yesterday!

Reactions: VonMacher
Yes, there is no 2.4/5ghz switch in the 3.1.8 app, but it's its only "cons", you don't quite feel the need of it unless you are in some area where wifi is very busy!

Well, since WiFi is "very busy" mostly on 2.4 GHz, 5.8 GHz should be free of any interference what so ever. 2.4 GHz advantage is out of any urban areas where you can dig deep over 3 km distance.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockymountaincaptures