P3 SE - solution to switching between FCC and CE mode, I used both, and it works for sure!

Was this helpful?

• Yesss!

Votes: 13 100.0%
  • No, useless...

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Let me start the long story short...

The P3SE's, depends on where did you buy it from, can have 2 factory settings, the FCC and the CE by default. The range of this bird in CE mode is around 5-600m (not urban area obviously). FCC mode takes you 2-3km away, depends on... I was 2km away with mine, I was shy to go any longer...

I didn't know what mode I'm using, I thought I'm in CE, even DJI told to me it swaps the mode automaticly then I'm travelling, but obviously they just defended a software bug.

Few days ago there was a firmware update, came with the new APP version (3.1.23). You can be sure, you are in FCC mode, if you can fly further than 1-2km, your FW version is 1.3.20, and your APP version is 3.1.22 (or 3.1.18).

I had this combination of softwares, and I happily flew my 2km. The new APP came out, updated automatically, and that forced me (not sure) to install the FW 1.5.40. At that point, after the upgrade, I got the WiFi settings changing message, because of the localisation. The sad part just arrived to my life, I was limited to 600m (drops from 500m), and I spent my ast 2 days with firmware upgrades, downgrades, APP old, working versions downloading, etc... And here's the solution, if you accidently upgraded...

1. Downgrade the FW to 1.3.20 (using the BIN file on SD card, it works).
2. Put your bird somewhere, where is no GPS coverage (not a single satellite).
3. Using FakeGPS Free tell to your baby, you are in the USA. (On your mobile, use just GPS based location, no wifi, mobile, etc). As soon as your plane gets GPS signal, the new APP immediately switches to CE mode, so when it's done, next step:
4: Download the old APP, I use 3.1.18, but as far as I remember, it worked with the 3.1.22, not tried yet. That version of the APP doesn't give a s**t about the GPS based localisation settings, so as soon as you installed it, you can switch off the FakeGPS, and based on your bird is in FCC mode already, just enjoy your FCC mode!

Important (obviously):
Stay with 1.3.20 Firmware, and 3.1.22 APP, and you can use FCC anywhere.

*Update:*
After sometimes it still gives me the notification to change to CE, I tested today, and the following happened...
I was outgoor, the bird had full GPS signal, my tablet was not under fake positioning, so everything was like it has to be. DJI tells you to switch on in tis order: 1. Remote 2. Bird 3. Tablet, that's wifi, and launch DJI Go... In this order, at the end I alwas get the wlan settings window, and need to switch off the remote before it suck... If you switch on your stuff in different order, it will work... First I switched on my drone, and I launched the DJI GO on the tablet, having no wifi, or any connection. After that I switched on the remote, and it connected everything together, and had no wifi changing warning at all. I was able to use it in FCC, with no fake GPS, and even not higind the drom from real gps signal... I'll post it to the original, topic opener post too. Please, who followed the SW downgrade I wrote, etc, try it, and will see if it works for you too... I hope it does. I'm even curious, if it works with the new firmware (after faking the GPS signal, if you switch on everything in this order, it may not ask you to switch your wifi to CE), or using the new app version...

I didn't post this to encourage everyone to fly heedlessy, keep the law, I just didn't think it's fair to make the customers happy with the FCC mode, when you give the chocolate to the child, and take it away. I would have bought the cheaper standard version, that has the distance like this has in CE mode. 3 new upgrades caused the 3SE the Special Edition name, the improved range, the Vision Positioning System, the 4k camera, and the GLONASS. I could live without the 4k, without the GLONASS, VPS is nice, and the improved range is superB. Even is you fly within 500m (this is how we always fly, don't we?), I think it's much more dangerous when you loose the signal because of the transmitter's power. Yes, I tried the 2km once, but just on water, I'd never risk anyone, or my little drone ether.

Looking forward your comments, I really hope it helps to all responsible pilots, who want to keep the visual from the bird at 500m, and want to worry about 1 factor less...

Last edited:
In return, can anyone tell me how can I ignore the firmware upgrade message in the APP? It really annoys me, and I'd like to disable the FW update for ever...

Reactions: Ianaic
Okay Guys, I have to admit, this system I just published, is not 100%. It works, but not every time... It works, I can take off, but sometimes it displays the WiFi location settings to change to CE mode... Not always, but like every 3rd, 4th times... In this case I don't hit okay, I switch off the remote first, and then ok, exit, restart app. During the flight it doesn't pop up, just the very beginning, after launching the app, just about 10 secs... After this, it's not gonna surprise me...

So don't know, launch the app first and then connect to WiFi, or connect and launch, not sure yet, I'll keep testing, but don't have too much time on this week... If I have no choice, I'm happy to switch off the remote 2 times in the begining, and than I'll get the FCC distance... But to be honest, it's a bit annoying... So I'll keep testing, and will keep you updated here... In the meantime, if anyone tried it, I'm looking forward the experiences

Okay Guys, I have to admit, this system I just published, is not 100%. It works, but not every time... It works, I can take off, but sometimes it displays the WiFi location settings to change to CE mode... Not always, but like every 3rd, 4th times... In this case I don't hit okay, I switch off the remote first, and then ok, exit, restart app. During the flight it doesn't pop up, just the very beginning, after launching the app, just about 10 secs... After this, it's not gonna surprise me...

So don't know, launch the app first and then connect to WiFi, or connect and launch, not sure yet, I'll keep testing, but don't have too much time on this week... If I have no choice, I'm happy to switch off the remote 2 times in the begining, and than I'll get the FCC distance... But to be honest, it's a bit annoying... So I'll keep testing, and will keep you updated here... In the meantime, if anyone tried it, I'm looking forward the experiences

Thank you for this. I've seen you post like 01:30 this morning, and immediately downloaded that FakeGPS app. Did not roll back DJI Go neither FW, but rather just tried if system will recognize region change. And it did! Transmitting power really increased. Off course, when drone established GPS position, and after I turned off FakeGPS app (with running RC-drone link), it became erratic and unstable. When link broke, system immediately reversed to CE WiFi setting.

When you purchased your P3 SE? I took mine at the end of October, so the newest firmware was already installed. DJI has no firmware in their download section. Honestly I did not dig to find previous version.

One more thing, please be careful with this. Worst case scenario would be your drone kicks RTH somewhere in USA. And it is a long way to get there :)

Reactions: wmclements2003
In return, can anyone tell me how can I ignore the firmware upgrade message in the APP? It really annoys me, and I'd like to disable the FW update for ever...

Check PapaTita on youtube. He did some great job with all kind of stuff. NoForceDJIGoupgrade should do something like that. Check it out please.

Thank you for this. I've seen you post like 01:30 this morning, and immediately downloaded that FakeGPS app. Did not roll back DJI Go neither FW, but rather just tried if system will recognize region change. And it did! Transmitting power really increased. Off course, when drone established GPS position, and after I turned off FakeGPS app (with running RC-drone link), it became erratic and unstable. When link broke, system immediately reversed to CE WiFi setting.

When you purchased your P3 SE? I took mine at the end of October, so the newest firmware was already installed. DJI has no firmware in their download section. Honestly I did not dig to find previous version.

One more thing, please be careful with this. Worst case scenario would be your drone kicks RTH somewhere in USA. And it is a long way to get there :)
When you read this whole topic, then you know that there is a original DJI downgrade to firmware 1.3.20 is available.

What do you mean, when link broke? Between the RC and the AC? So even with the new APP, and new FW, it works? What if the AC gets the GPS signal, immediately wants to switch, or next time when you reconnect? Give me some details please, as much as you can... I had no time today to work it out, but I want permanent solution... I don't like the way I need to switch off the controller few times to prevent the mode change. So as soon as the SC gets the GPS, it wants to switch, On previous versions, it doesn't want to switch all the time, so I'm not gonna update so far. I like to use the new versions, new FWs, etc, but this drone, this time is the first time when I'm not following the update anymore...

In the other forum, linked above, you can fond the FW download link, and the way to up-/downgrade, but easy, just put the *.BIN to the root of your SD, make sure, there's nothing on the card, and pop the card in the aircraft when the APP is already running on the mobile, before you would touch the camera mode, not before, and don't touch that. Will upgrade, downgrade automaticly, and you can even see the percentage... Depends on the version, it can take from 5 mins to 30 mins, but for me usually not longer than like 10-15 mins.

So what's you

What do you mean, when link broke? Between the RC and the AC? So even with the new APP, and new FW, it works? What if the AC gets the GPS signal, immediately wants to switch, or next time when you reconnect? Give me some details please, as much as you can... I had no time today to work it out, but I want permanent solution... I don't like the way I need to switch off the controller few times to prevent the mode change. So as soon as the SC gets the GPS, it wants to switch, On previous versions, it doesn't want to switch all the time, so I'm not gonna update so far. I like to use the new versions, new FWs, etc, but this drone, this time is the first time when I'm not following the update anymore...

In the other forum, linked above, you can fond the FW download link, and the way to up-/downgrade, but easy, just put the *.BIN to the root of your SD, make sure, there's nothing on the card, and pop the card in the aircraft when the APP is already running on the mobile, before you would touch the camera mode, not before, and don't touch that. Will upgrade, downgrade automaticly, and you can even see the percentage... Depends on the version, it can take from 5 mins to 30 mins, but for me usually not longer than like 10-15 mins.

So what's you

OK, let me try to explain what I did today.

1. FW is 1.3.20+
2. DJI Go app ver 3.1.23 - can't roll it back because that resource file thing.
3. Starded FakeGPSapp with MOCK location enabled - somewhere in the US of A
5. Allowed DJIGo app to find location through my phone GPS
6. Turned ON RC
7. Linked my phone to RC and started DJIGo app. In camera mode, map location was exactly how I put it in FakeGPS app (if DJIGo app is not allowed to find location, it will locate itself to last remembered location, or no location at all - no map background, so it HAS TO BE allowed at this time).
8. Turned ON my copter (with aluminum foil covered GPS antenna). As soon as connection to RC was established, system warned me that region has changed and it will switch WiFi settings accordingly. NOTE: it was considered as RC-Drone WiFi setting, not RC-phone one. It was obvious because WiFi link RC-phone was never interrupted (fact). At that point I changed DJI location setting to "ASK".
9. Finally I had 27 dBm output power (FCC mode). It was so obvious - even through the walls of my house it was clearly noticeable change.

But... (there is always some BUT around :) )

10. As soon as drone picked up position through his own GPS, new home point was prompted (even my FakeGPS app was still running) and map jumped to my real location. Few second after, system recognized new region and demanded WiFi change (no Cancel option, just OK). At that point, what ever I do it was not possible to convince that sucker he is wrong.

I didn't try to take off before that message (rainy day), maybe it wouldn't popup while flying (security reasons?). But anyway, it is a short time window to take off (not more that 10 sec).

I think there is nothing we can do on DJIGo app side except specific instruction to drone software to ignore mode change (something like .DJI.configs files made for ForceFCC and 32ch extension). But those config files don't work for P3SE unfortunately.
Maybe to downgrade to previous FW version (the very first one?).

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
I found this firmware version for the Phantom 3 SE on a Russian website. The poster claims that the CE and FCC mode is reversed. This means that in the CE area the power of FCC is in FCC area the power of CE. However, I have not tried it (yet). So it is unknown to me.

Before you perform an update, you must first delete the 'T_' of the name:

From CE to FCC

I found this firmware version for the Phantom 3 SE on a Russian website. The poster claims that the CE and FCC mode is reversed. This means that in the CE area the power of FCC is in FCC area the power of CE. However, I have not tried it (yet). So it is unknown to me.

Before you perform an update, you must first delete the 'T_' of the name:

From CE to FCC

Regarding the size of the FW, it's exactly like the 1.3.20. Yould you send me the link to the Russian site where you found it?

OK, let me try to explain what I did today.

1. FW is 1.3.20+
2. DJI Go app ver 3.1.23 - can't roll it back because that resource file thing.
3. Starded FakeGPSapp with MOCK location enabled - somewhere in the US of A
5. Allowed DJIGo app to find location through my phone GPS
6. Turned ON RC
7. Linked my phone to RC and started DJIGo app. In camera mode, map location was exactly how I put it in FakeGPS app (if DJIGo app is not allowed to find location, it will locate itself to last remembered location, or no location at all - no map background, so it HAS TO BE allowed at this time).
8. Turned ON my copter (with aluminum foil covered GPS antenna). As soon as connection to RC was established, system warned me that region has changed and it will switch WiFi settings accordingly. NOTE: it was considered as RC-Drone WiFi setting, not RC-phone one. It was obvious because WiFi link RC-phone was never interrupted (fact). At that point I changed DJI location setting to "ASK".
9. Finally I had 27 dBm output power (FCC mode). It was so obvious - even through the walls of my house it was clearly noticeable change.

But... (there is always some BUT around :) )

10. As soon as drone picked up position through his own GPS, new home point was prompted (even my FakeGPS app was still running) and map jumped to my real location. Few second after, system recognized new region and demanded WiFi change (no Cancel option, just OK). At that point, what ever I do it was not possible to convince that sucker he is wrong.

I didn't try to take off before that message (rainy day), maybe it wouldn't popup while flying (security reasons?). But anyway, it is a short time window to take off (not more that 10 sec).

I think there is nothing we can do on DJIGo app side except specific instruction to drone software to ignore mode change (something like .DJI.configs files made for ForceFCC and 32ch extension). But those config files don't work for P3SE unfortunately.
Maybe to downgrade to previous FW version (the very first one?).

Older Apps let me to use it sometimes without the switching,, try it please. You can find all previous versions that work... Open this page with your mobile: Download APK free online downloader | APKPure.com, and download the app store of them. When you find an app, you'll find the Version History, and select which one do you want to download. It works well, but the 3.1.22 downloading very slowly, I guess it's on a different server... (Don't forget to disable the auto update of the app on your Play Store)...
Screenshot_20171201-192050.png

Oh, I can see, the arliest edition you can download, it the 3.1.18. Before that, you can download just the regular APK file, that will not work without the resource files (included in the 150MB versions). But in this case it's more than enough...

Last edited:
Reactions: VonMacher
I love this topic but im s noob to DJI. I'm glad I found this site since DJI gave me no real users guide. From my observations, I see way too many abbreviations that go unexplained. I think I figured out about half of them. why not say "Turn on drone" "turn on controller" "monitor xx page in DJIGO for CE or FCC" etc. Nothing tells me how to know which fw I have. nor how to even know what modes I am in.

Are there other posts that explain all this, or some you tube tutorials?

I would love to fly my SE 2km, but it loses signal and returns much sooner. I am rural, so i have a lot of trees but not a lot of wifi interference.

I just tried the Russian hacked FW with latest DJI Go, AC flew fine with that. Noticable gain in height, but not as good as FCC which I tested yesterday. With FCC and spoofed GPS I could easily reach 120m without losing connection.
Bad side of GPS spoofing that it renders RTH useless, today I almost crapped my pants when lost signal somewhere over 100m and was forced RTH. Luckily, with the latest app and true home point recorded, AC landed as supposed.

I must try with a similar environment, today was more cloudy and a bit of frost in the air. Also, my records with FCC were a bit off our house, which has almost 30 visible WLAN networks.

Reactions: VonMacher
I just tried the Russian hacked FW with latest DJI Go, AC flew fine with that. Noticable gain in height, but not as good as FCC which I tested yesterday. With FCC and spoofed GPS I could easily reach 120m without losing connection.
Bad side of GPS spoofing that it renders RTH useless, today I almost crapped my pants when lost signal somewhere over 100m and was forced RTH. Luckily, with the latest app and true home point recorded, AC landed as supposed.

I must try with a similar environment, today was more cloudy and a bit of frost in the air. Also, my records with FCC were a bit off our house, which has almost 30 visible WLAN networks.
So you're telling us, this Russia fw does not take you into FCC mode?

I think that misleading the GPS signal is not an effective option. And then the Russian hack is a great alternative for the people who now have a bad connection.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj