No Signal, won't take pictures or capture video

Reaction score
First time drone buyer, I have the Phamtom 3 advance. It's a week old and I'm having problems with it taking pictures and video. If I hit the shutter button it snaps it and freezes the live feed for 10-15 seconds before resuming. It never saves the picture to flight records though the say I did take a picture. If I select video the screen goes black and say no signal where it says safe to fly. Then after 30sec or so it goes back to photo mode and live feed resumes.
It took photos and videos for about 3 days before it stopped.
I've deleted and restarted the app, redownloaded the firmware, reconnect the controller, formatted the SD card and of course reinstalled the FW.
I joined PhantomPilots to hopefully fix this issue, because the rest of the web hasn't helped, and to learn more.
Thanks in advance for any help.

(I never lose flight controls when it says no signal)

What type of mobile device are you using?

I have a wifi only IPad mini I haven't tried yet, like I said iPhone worked fine for the first few days

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Check:
1. Your SD card
2. Free space on your iPhone

iPhone has 30+gb of space
SD card is the one that came with it and only has the firmware on it. What should I check? I bought a 32gb sd card today I'm going to try, is it recommended to just use your own?

Are you trying to fly it with the firmware on the SD Card? That's bad joo-joo. Format the SD Card after a
successful F/W update. Not just any SD card will work, make sure you have the right one.

Mrmcfly, so once the aircraft has successfully updated firmware I should format the SD card. Got that but how do I make sure the FW is on the aircraft. I use a iMac to update, I plug the usb-micro usb from Mac to phantom port on the gimbal with SD card in it. I download, unzip the file copy to the sd. Disconnect PS3 from computer. Now from here it doesn't act like it's updating. (Light next to the computer doesn't blink) so I power down then back up and it's goes through what I think is the update. Either way I have no issue with the PS3 or controller. Just between the app and camera. App is up to date as well.

71e8d9af6a3386ff9295947ed3030bcb.jpg

This is the screen I get when I switch from camera to video on the go app, then the green light on the camera goes out, after 5-10 seconds it comes on starts flashing the drone makes a beep beep noise then the app switches back to camera mode and I have my live feed again.

Reading on this have a question I can put any sd in the ph3pro I bought a fast Lexmark 32gb just format .and put it in I should be OK .... .yes/no

Mrmcfly, so once the aircraft has successfully updated firmware I should format the SD card. Got that but how do I make sure the FW is on the aircraft. I use a iMac to update, I plug the usb-micro usb from Mac to phantom port on the gimbal with SD card in it. I download, unzip the file copy to the sd. Disconnect PS3 from computer. Now from here it doesn't act like it's updating. (Light next to the computer doesn't blink) so I power down then back up and it's goes through what I think is the update. Either way I have no issue with the PS3 or controller. Just between the app and camera. App is up to date as well.

It is important that you follow DJI's instructions for updating, and listen for the audible cues that let you know the status of the update.

Upon completion of the update, you power off the P3, then remove the card... put it in a reader, and there will be a .txt file on it, along with the firmware file.
When you open that text file it should say **Update Successful**. It's all explained here:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

IF you're updating a Phantom 3 Standard, I'm not familiar with it. This is for an Advanced or Professional.

Reading on this have a question I can put any sd in the ph3pro I bought a fast Lexmark 32gb just format .and put it in I should be OK .... .yes/no

Your Micro SD card must be rated at Class 10 or UHS-1 rated at a maximum of 64GB.

For video, faster might be even better, though I've only used spec'd Micro SD cards.

It is important that you follow DJI's instructions for updating, and listen for the audible cues that let you know the status of the update.

Upon completion of the update, you power off the P3, then remove the card... put it in a reader, and there will be a .txt file on it, along with the firmware file.
When you open that text file it should say **Update Successful**. It's all explained here:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

IF you're updating a Phantom 3 Standard, I'm not familiar with it. This is for an Advanced or Professional.

I'll have a go tomorrow with this video, any thing I should do before I follow these instructions since I've done the update before?

I'll have a go tomorrow with this video, any thing I should do before I follow these instructions since I've done the update before?

I'd go at it like I've never done it before. Remember, controller off for firmware updates. Going to 1.6 you'll have a battery update as well, so be patient! Good Luck!

Last edited:
Take out the sd card start the drone and then put as card back in

Ok I will update when I give it a go. Couldn't today, thanks for the help.

Question should I try a new sd I have one that is UHS-1

Ok I will update when I give it a go. Couldn't today, thanks for the help.

Question should I try a new sd I have one that is UHS-1

Yes, make sure your Micro SD Card meets DJI's specifications.
Also make sure the update file is the correct one, and is the only file on the SD Card.
I do a quick format on the SD Card before I copy the Firmware onto it... just to be sure.

Good Luck!!

I guess what I'm asking is that, since I know I have the current firmware on the aircraft, and I want to re update with the same version, should I clear the aircraft

I guess what I'm asking is that, since I know I have the current firmware on the aircraft, and I want to re update with the same version, should I clear the aircraft

Might be a good idea, because if you have a bad update, the new update may be
considered a 'current version' and the P3 will abort the update.

If you try to re install the firmware, it will just abort after a bit and the txt file on the SD card will give you a message that the firmware is up to date.

Not sure what you mean by 'clearing the aircraft '.

I doubt this is a corrupt download issue. You might try removing the app from your iPhone and reinstall. This has helped for other problems as it forces the app to erase some cache files.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic