New or old motors phantom 3

Trust me, if I could find one at any of the above, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. All the major distributors turn over their stock relatively quickly. Any remaining old motor inventory was likely cleared out in December. I'm sure there are units out there somewhere in the channel, but I have no way of finding them. If anyone knows of any, I'm all ears!

Paul at FPVCustoms.com can set you up with both mods. I can still get video at 5 miles, but it is now unreliable at low altitude beyond 3 miles, and frequently drops out, messing up the video recording, as you can't frame a shot you can't see, and flying blind is not my cup of tea! I used to be able to maintain video feed at 100 feet over water 5 miles away, but now often have to climb to 400 feet, when the subject requires a water level shot. Could have just been a unique bird, but the FCC spec changes are significant. I have also been told that there is no assembly consistency within the versions as to whether the two birdside video antennas in the legs are both installed on the same side (where the gimbal could potentially block both) or are placed on diagonally opposite sides (better overall, because one side would always be unblocked).

Are there new motors in the P3A too?

Also even though off topic.... Is the only difference between the P3P and the P3A the 4k and the charger?

Are there new motors in the P3A too?
Yes. The most recent version of all Phantom models have the new motors.

Is the only difference between the P3P and the P3A the 4k and the charger?
The max video bitrate is also different (per DJI's specs). However, that'll most likely only be useful to you if you're planning on flying with FPV glasses/goggles.

Yes. The most recent version of all Phantom models have the new motors.

The max video bitrate is also different (per DJI's specs). However, that'll most likely only be useful to you if you're planning on flying with FPV glasses/goggles.

Is the "Max. Video Bitrate" for the live video?

I'm trying to chose between the two and from a recording standpoint 2.7k is fine for me. I notice that standard has 2mbit max bitrate too. Currently with the advanced being $799 do you think the $400 difference is worth it to go to the professional?

Currently with the advanced being $799 do you think the $400 difference is worth it to go to the professional?
You can currently get a P3P on Amazon for $1,100. So, the price difference is even a bit less.

It's well worth the $$ difference if you want 4K and/or are going to fly with FPV glasses/goggles.

Is the "Max. Video Bitrate" for the live video?

I'm trying to chose between the two and from a recording standpoint 2.7k is fine for me. I notice that standard has 2mbit max bitrate too. Currently with the advanced being $799 do you think the $400 difference is worth it to go to the professional?
The big question for you is ... do I need 4K video?
Because unless you really need 4K video, you may as well save the $$ and use them for batteries.
The Advanced is an outstanding machine and a gift at the current price.

You can currently get a P3P on Amazon for $1,100. So, the price difference is even a bit less.

It's well worth the $$ difference if you want 4K and/or are going to fly with FPV glasses/goggles.

Well like I said 2.7k is fine for me.

I don't think I will be doing FPV.
I am however the type that would do a FPVLR v2 mod and try and get some range on it.

Are there any other down sides to the 2mbit bit rate?

The only thing I heard people talking about is that the image is not as nice when using FPV glasses/goggles. But, I already said that ;)

Another advantage of 4K video is that each individual frame of the 24 fps video can be extracted into a 4 MB jpeg still image, and then optimized in Lightroom. I use that capability all the time. 2.7K video still extractions aren't really large enough, as they contain 30% less detail to begin with, and the 4MB file size jpg's from the 4K are already pushing it.

Reactions: Reed L
DJI help prefers green. That reply makes me a DJI fan for life. My favorite color is red. P3 for a little over 4 months. Every flight perfection. Great videos best videos I have ever shot. 1.5 mile distance best so far. I recommend get your drone read and watch videos learn to pilot, fly, have fun and shoot some great video.

my best so far could have kept goin the excitement got to me misread the remaining power panicked and flew home. Full signal all the way

Last edited:
DJI help prefers green. That reply makes me a DJI fan for life. My favorite color is red. P3 for a little over 4 months. Every flight perfection. Great videos best videos I have ever shot. 1.5 mile distance best so far. I recommend get your drone read and watch videos learn to pilot, fly, have fun and shoot some great video.
Do you have a P3P or P3A?

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

So if I bought one from B&H, Adorama, or Amazon they all will be the new new new ones?
Thats pretty crazy you were able to get video at 5 miles.. Im a Phantom noob but that sounds amazing to me lol.

Do you mind pointing me in the right direction as far as the battery mod and the FPVLR V2?

Thanks!

I got my P3A from B&H in February and it came with the old motors (something they're looking into but was brand new - not a return). Not sure what's there now.

Hi guys, looks like a lot of opinions running around and nobody's doing the math on this. Since it'sFriday afternoon and I'm just killing time at the office, I thought I'd crunch the numbers. I have quite a bit of experience building my own quads, mostly based on the APM open-source platform, so motor/ESC and propeller matching is something I've done many times.
With the 960KV motors, motor temperatures at max should be about 51°C, but the new 800KV motors would run at about 39°C. At hover the temps are the equal between the two. It should be rare for either motor to get anywhere near max. The theoretical max climb of the 960kv motor is 13.3 M/S and the 800kv is 10.7m/s. Since the flight controller limits this to 5m/s the temps at full climb would be close to the same between both motors. The only place where the motor temp differences would be meaningful would be at full climb and full forward. This would put the rear two motors spinning somewhere towards their max RPM, but I don't have an easy way to calculate what the RPM/thrust would be.

All my calculations are done in the eCalc (eCalc - xcopterCalc - the most reliable RC Calculator on the Web) if you're interested in learning more about this type of tuning.

I had a question (and thought) about the design aspect relative to heat dissipation. It seems (I have old motors on a newly purchased P3A from B&H) that the older motors allow for more spacing on top. The "dome" area would seem to allow heat to be drawn out by props perhaps quicker? Also, the bottom bearing seems to be larger so again not sure of any impact on heat. Your thoughts here would be appreciated. :)

I had a question (and thought) about the design aspect relative to heat dissipation. It seems (I have old motors on a newly purchased P3A from B&H) that the older motors allow for more spacing on top. The "dome" area would seem to allow heat to be drawn out by props perhaps quicker? Also, the bottom bearing seems to be larger so again not sure of any impact on heat. Your thoughts here would be appreciated. :)
I have both old motor and new motor type Phantom 3Ps. They both fly the same, however there are other differences to be aware of. It's been reported that earlier Phantoms with old motors have a stronger signal from the Phantom to the transmitter, which translates into a better distance capability. This is documented in the FCC filings by DJI. I haven't noticed this difference because I only go about 2mi at the most anyway, usually using a Windsurfer if I go that far. You really can't loiter much in an area of you fly over 2mi. so that's my limit of comfort. Otherwise you're only trying to set a record with not other purpose, such as capture video or photos. I usually have a purpose, and I'm not out to prove anything. There are people in this forum that would much rather have the old motor craft because of the bird's video RF power output advantage.

I have both old motor and new motor type Phantom 3Ps. They both fly the same, however there are other differences to be aware of. It's been reported that earlier Phantoms with old motors have a stronger signal from the Phantom to the transmitter, which translates into a better distance capability. This is documented in the FCC filings by DJI. I haven't noticed this difference because I only go about 2mi at the most anyway, usually using a Windsurfer if I go that far. You really can't loiter much in an area of you fly over 2mi. so that's my limit of comfort. Otherwise you're only trying to set a record with not other purpose, such as capture video or photos. I usually have a purpose, and I'm not out to prove anything. There are people in this forum that would much rather have the old motor craft because of the bird's video RF power output advantage.
Just to clarify, I have no desire to set any distance records or prove anything either. I am solely interested in capturing stunning, unique aerial video and stills. As soon as you add a battery mod and a transmitter mod to your P3, your range for capturing video and photos goes from 2 miles to over 5 miles with plenty of time to loiter. With a conservative 25 minute flight time, allowing 6 minutes travel time to and from any location 3 miles away, still allows for 13 minutes of photography and video at your destination, while returning with 20% remaining battery. Make it 5 miles each way, and you can still loiter for a full 5 minutes at your destination. Three to four miles away is the sweet spot for me, with plenty of interesting stuff along the way there, and back, too!

I'm really glad I saw this. I pulled mine out of the box last night for the first time only to discover that mine had the older motors. I was about to be upset but then after reading this I think it's time to break out the confetti!!!! Thank you.

Had a question on Windsurfer.. They recommend not putting it on until the bird is starting to reach its limits, and NOT to use when the bird is back close, and always point at the P3.. Have you found this to be the case? Do you point the controller straight up when doing a straight up lift off? Do you wait to add it on?? I totally get it is now a directional vs. omni signal...

Thanks..

Jay S.

I'm really glad I saw this. I pulled mine out of the box last night for the first time only to discover that mine had the older motors. I was about to be upset but then after reading this I think it's time to break out the confetti!!!! Thank you.
Right now, they are a sought out Classic by the long distance flyers! Later versions just crippled the range.

Had a question on Windsurfer.. They recommend not putting it on until the bird is starting to reach its limits, and NOT to use when the bird is back close, and always point at the P3.. Have you found this to be the case? Do you point the controller straight up when doing a straight up lift off? Do you wait to add it on?? I totally get it is now a directional vs. omni signal...

Thanks..

Jay S.
I leave mine on all the time, on my unmodded RC, and just make sure the plane of the windsurfer always faces the aircraft, so forward to launch, and straight up if you are flying straight up therafter. It's awkward to put on and take off in flight, if you get the big tall one that locks into a vertical position.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj