New or old motors phantom 3

Can you provide any information/support that the motors run cooler?

Mine have never even been warm to the touch. The old motors were crazy warm to hot even on very short flights.

If I had the original motors and could not exchange for free I would be crazy happy with my drone and not give it a second thought.

On the other hand if I got one now and it had the old motors, shell, motherboard, etc it would be exchanged. The shell is a biggie as the new rev is much nicer along with all the other incremental improvements.

Reactions: phantom13flyer
This isn't a secret !! Anybody who has both versions will tell you that the old motors run much hotter than the new ones.

I have both and never noticed that the old motor got anything but slightly warm. Can't say that I've noticed that the new motors are any cooler.

I believe someone who says that they feel cooler to them. I'd certainly question if this is a bad thing. Head being dissipated from the internal friction out onto the exterior metal housing. However, I that argument is along the lines of someone simply being able to come up with something against anything.

Are you using your same account for the DJI app? Please feel free to post your flight times from the old motor to the new motors so we can see what these "increased" flight times are.
hi, lets be honest and don't get out of the reality better or not old or new we all phantom 3 pro users that had the old V1 ! have much problem for performance and crack shell and so on, so now wen I get back a new phantom 3 V2 is so easy for me to say It's much better performance and i say so because I pay 1400 euros for a old phantom and I was 100% feelings that my phantom 2 plus V3.0 performance better then that old pro phantom 3 to now because is wonderful to have the laters for the price! and because of that I advice to all phantom 3 pro user that can change for free old models DO IT! cause is 100% worth it...
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1454536186.914114.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1454536420.321326.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: phantom13flyer
New updated not always upgraded. It is usually that it has brought production costs down.
Dji would have found a cheaper supplier. Problem is that cheaper suppliers sometimes sacrifice quality to be able to sell at cheaper price.
These will still be well up to the job.
But just a way to show how hardware updates can be a like a firmware updates. Not always better than the one before.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Meta4
hi, lets be honest and don't get out of the reality better or not old or new we all phantom 3 pro users that had the old V1 ! have much problem for performance and crack shell and so on, so now wen I get back a new phantom 3 V2 is so easy for me to say It's much better performance and i say so because I pay 1400 euros for a old phantom and I was 100% feelings that my phantom 2 plus V3.0 performance better then that old pro phantom 3 to now because is wonderful to have the laters for the price! and because of that I advice to all phantom 3 pro user that can change for free old models DO IT! cause is 100% worth it

You have every right to feel better about a P3 with new motors.

There are a _ton_ of claims being made about P3's with the new motors that are being taken as fact when they are not supported at all. It's even being claimed that the Phantoms with new motors automatically have a better shell that won't crack. Still... 100% unsupported. There are many Phantoms with old motors where the shells don't crack. Mine was bought when they were released and the shell never cracked. I agree that it appears that some shells _were_ cracking when they should not have but this does not mean all Phantoms with old motors have this problem and that all Phantoms with new motors have some "newly designed" shell that does not crack. Some people even go as far as to label Phantoms with the new motors as Version 2 Phantoms. My objection is that these unfounded claims make customers who have the old motors think that they got cheated by DJI. They feel that they paid the same amount for their Phantom and then DJI fixed tons of problems and came out with a brand new Phantom 3 (version 2). Maybe we want to consider the big picture and not be so quick to send out this message. Even within this thread of poked some big holes in many of these claims. If someone want's the new motors, great! But I'd object to making such huge blanket claims about all the ways it better then Phantoms with the old motors. I have one with the old motors and one with the new motors. Both do what they are supposed to do and exactly the same (as far as I can tell at this time... I need to fly the new motors more).

Reactions: Meta4
DJI just announced they've shut down manufacturing of "new" motors and have resumed production of the "older" style solely due to the complete nonsense of this thread.

Reactions: Brian T and Meta4
I just ordered a P3A and trying to absorb as much info on the forum as possible. Great info and thanks to those who have contributed.
In the course of reading the forums I came across this thread and was a bit concerned about which motor I will get. I did a quick Google search to look for a statement,concerning old vs new, from DJI and came across this explanation.

DJI Support - FAQ#2 Phantom 3 old and new motors... | Facebook

FAQ#2 Phantom 3 old and new motors difference

Q:Why the phantom that was bought few month ago and the one was purchased recently have different motors?
What the difference between the old and new motors?

A:New motors 2312A 800KV are a little bit more powerful than old 2312 960KV ones.
New 2312A motors are more stable and balanced compare to the old ones. With new 2312A aircraft efficiency is increased by 7% which can push the flight time to 1 -2 minutes longer.

Since the design of the motors was changed, and there is no way to use the metal range to take off the propellers anymore, the old range was changed to a new propeller removal clamp.

I thought the more KV the more powerful?

Reactions: Brian T
I just ordered a P3A and trying to absorb as much info on the forum as possible. Great info and thanks to those who have contributed.
In the course of reading the forums I came across this thread and was a bit concerned about which motor I will get. I did a quick Google search to look for a statement,concerning old vs new, from DJI and came across this explanation.

DJI Support - FAQ#2 Phantom 3 old and new motors... | Facebook

FAQ#2 Phantom 3 old and new motors difference

Q:Why the phantom that was bought few month ago and the one was purchased recently have different motors?
What the difference between the old and new motors?

A:New motors 2312A 800KV are a little bit more powerful than old 2312 960KV ones.
New 2312A motors are more stable and balanced compare to the old ones. With new 2312A aircraft efficiency is increased by 7% which can push the flight time to 1 -2 minutes longer.

Since the design of the motors was changed, and there is no way to use the metal range to take off the propellers anymore, the old range was changed to a new propeller removal clamp.
More than 20 years i'm involve in the rc hobby,i assemble,repair and fly electric,gas,nitro helicopters and first time i heard lower rpm motors are more powerful than higher rpm motors.

More than 20 years i'm involve in the rc hobby,i assemble,repair and fly electric,gas,nitro helicopters and first time i heard lower rpm motors are more powerful than higher rpm motors.

First time I heard rpm has anything to do with power. But rpm wasnt even mentioned in that article.

I thought the more KV the more powerful?
More Kv is faster with less Tq
Less Kv is slower with more Tq

Thats why with R/C cars/trucks, you usally see lower Kv motors the bigger the truck is because it needs the Tq to push it. Plus of course you have the advantage of changing gears that we don't have with the Phantom.

Kv stands for RPM per volt. So if you have 1 volt and 100 Kv it is going to spin at 100RPM.

As DJI put less Kv motors in, they should be spinning at less RPM. but making more Tq.

As they changed the ESC too, the amount of volts going to the motors could be different too.

Reactions: Reed L
First time I heard rpm has anything to do with power. But rpm wasnt even mentioned in that article.

Who told you rpm wasn't mentioned.What is KV?

Did not know that Zone5. Thanks for taking time to explain.

You have every right to feel better about a P3 with new motors.

There are a _ton_ of claims being made about P3's with the new motors that are being taken as fact when they are not supported at all. It's even being claimed that the Phantoms with new motors automatically have a better shell that won't crack. Still... 100% unsupported. There are many Phantoms with old motors where the shells don't crack. Mine was bought when they were released and the shell never cracked. I agree that it appears that some shells _were_ cracking when they should not have but this does not mean all Phantoms with old motors have this problem and that all Phantoms with new motors have some "newly designed" shell that does not crack. Some people even go as far as to label Phantoms with the new motors as Version 2 Phantoms. My objection is that these unfounded claims make customers who have the old motors think that they got cheated by DJI. They feel that they paid the same amount for their Phantom and then DJI fixed tons of problems and came out with a brand new Phantom 3 (version 2). Maybe we want to consider the big picture and not be so quick to send out this message. Even within this thread of poked some big holes in many of these claims. If someone want's the new motors, great! But I'd object to making such huge blanket claims about all the ways it better then Phantoms with the old motors. I have one with the old motors and one with the new motors. Both do what they are supposed to do and exactly the same (as far as I can tell at this time... I need to fly the new motors more).
mm ok I respect your opinion! and about the crack mm let me tell u this, I had motor reinforcements with the old phantom 3 and I set also reinforcement to the V2 pro just because no matter what...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik