My Phantom 4 PRO flew away - Please help

And there's the problem in a nutshell. You came to the forum looking for help interpreting the logs from this event, and several experienced members willingly donated their time to analyzing those logs. The logs are not ambiguous - everyone came to the same conclusion. Your response (not too uncommon, unfortunately) is simply to assert that the logs are wrong, and criticize us for pointing out what the logs show. Then you come back and gloat because DJI, for some unstated reason, decided to replace your aircraft. It doesn't change what the logs show and it doesn't change the conclusions. So next time do your own analysis.

I did not assert the logs are wrong. I asserted that some of the "professional pilots" in the thread did a wrong analysis since DJI decided to replace my bird by looking at the same logs.

I for one am glad there are those on this forum who are willing to take time out of there day to evaluate the technical data as they see it and pass there findings along.
How the information is accepted however is another thing altogether.

The manner in which DJI obtains the data and interprets it is hard if not impossible to determine. What's important and refreshing is that DJI had provided some benefit and decided in favor of the OP, as the outcome probably depended on who had been assigned the case in question, and how the data was interpreted upon making their final decision. God only knows how many pilots who have appealed to DJI after a crash or loss due to a malfunction technical or otherwise should have received a replacement, but simply hadn't, and that is really unfortunate.
There was a request for help in evaluating this incident by the OP, and that was provided.
It was further decided to take the matter to DJI regardless of the conclusions drawn. In many instances there is an option to agree to disagree, and simply move forward.
I don't believe the forum was developed to act as a board of inquiry passing judgement, nor should those trying to help be judged or criticized for there efforts, but more so I believe the forum was established as a means of sharing information and help to one another.
Long live the Phantom Pilots. : )

Last edited:
I did not assert the logs are wrong. I asserted that some of the "professional pilots" in the thread did a wrong analysis since DJI decided to replace my bird by looking at the same logs.

I'm not sure what your reference to "professional pilots" is supposed to mean, but your conclusion is obviously incorrect; not just for the reasons I mentioned before, but also because the logs clearly show no stick input and your account therefore hinges on the logs being wrong. The forum only had the logs to go by, and the analysis of those logs was accurate. Why DJI replaced your aircraft is currently a mystery because they gave no explanation but, as I also mentioned before, they are not always consistent.

I've now completely lost interest in any further discussion with you.

Wow, I didn't think of that. I will be contacting them to ask them to replace the controller too.!
Try connecting the controller to your computer and running Assistant 2 to do a calibration of the controller.
That will tell you if there's a real problem with the right joystick.

I'm not sure what your reference to "professional pilots" is supposed to mean, but your conclusion is obviously incorrect; not just for the reasons I mentioned before, but also because the logs clearly show no stick input and your account therefore hinges on the logs being wrong. The forum only had the logs to go by, and the analysis of those logs was accurate. Why DJI replaced your aircraft is currently a mystery because they gave no explanation but, as I also mentioned before, they are not always consistent.

I've now completely lost interest in any further discussion with you.

The fact the log doesnt show any right stick input doesnt mean they did not happen as there was an error happening. That is what I have tried to say all along. But the "professional pilots" insists that there is something "clear" when an error happened.

The fact the log doesnt show any right stick input doesnt mean they did not happen as there was an error happening. That is what I have tried to say all along. But the "professional pilots" insists that there is something "clear" when an error happened.

I'm pretty sure that you are being deliberately obtuse at this point but, in case anyone else is getting confused by this painful dialog, I'll spell it out again:

You already agreed that the logs show no stick inputs to fly the aircraft in any useful way after it went to ATTI mode. More specifically, the log indicates that the FC neither received, nor acted on, any stick inputs, and that's consistent with the behavior of the aircraft in the logs and that you confirmed. What does that leave as an explanation? Perhaps that you operated the sticks but they had suddenly and mysteriously stopped working. The only evidence of that will be the RC - did you send that back to DJI? That's not recorded in the log.

And what error are you talking about? The IMU error that triggered ATTI mode? If so, then that has zero impact on the stick inputs or logging.

FWIW, I've never seen a flight log that failed to record stick movements. And I've reviewed hundreds and hundreds of them.

Reactions: sar104
Ditto, to the above responses. According to all of the data provided, it has been looked over in great detail. All with the same conclusion. That said, personally I have only seen 1 data set that was fairly obviously an RC stick failure, so granted it is possible but extremely rare. This could be the case here as well, but I have doubt's on that. Your statements on "Professional Pilot's" was not appreciated and completely inappropriate, simply due to the fact that you posted your logs for others to review and as I said, all reviews came to the same conclusion. If you do not want other review opinions, review your own logs hence forth.

Reactions: sar104
FWIW, I've never seen a flight log that failed to record stick movements. And I've reviewed hundreds and hundreds of them.

I know. I think we can completely rule that out. What is vaguely possible is that the RC simply failed so that the stick inputs were not even detected and transmitted but, firstly, there is no way to detect that in the txt log and, secondly, it's extremely unlikely.

DJI has, occasionally, replaced aircraft that were lost after an ATTI switch, even when it was obviously induced by magnetic interference at the launch location, so most likely it was one of those random unexplained replacements. Unless the OP also sent them one of the encrypted RC logs and they found something strange in there that led them to suspect HW failure.

Reactions: msinger
Simple way to check.
Do a controller calibration and see if the right stick is working or not.
Since you are getting a new drone only, you'll be wanting to know whether your controller works properly or not.

The so called experts on this forum are very quick to Blame the Pilots for error when the data goes against you.

The 'so called experts' have helped countless members find their lost drones or figure out what went wrong and learn from their mistakes. Fortunately, I have not had a crash or lost drone yet but if/when I do I hope they will still be around to help me figure out what went wrong and learn from the event. I can't imagine the time and effort, let alone the skill it takes to analyze the technical data from the flight records. I for one, am grateful for these 'so called experts' because I feel I have learned from the analyzing of these events and ultimately it makes me a better pilot.

Chris

Simple way to check.
Do a controller calibration and see if the right stick is working or not.
Since you are getting a new drone only, you'll be wanting to know whether your controller works properly or not.
This ^^^

Hello everyone.

I am geologist in Brazil.

Last year I saved a lot of money to be able to buy a Phantom 4 Pro.

I used it a lot in the first half of 2018 on my work. I used it to take aerial photography of mineral areas.

All these areas are located in rural places, with no interferences like power, wifi, etc.
So today i went to take pictures of a granite area in the middle of nothing. At least 5 miles away from the nearest road.

Anyway, it all started good, like it always had. However, suddenly the drone started flying away.
Since it was such a rural place, I could not follow it through the mountains and everything, so I just started trying to make it come back and pressing the "come home" button.

It didnt work. It flew away. I didnt see it again and probably wont see.

Here is the flight log of this last flight: DJI Drone Help

My question with this topic is: Does DJI warranty cover this type of case? I am just desolated.

If you have paid for Dji Care refresh when you bought your Phantom and you can prove that the Phantom flew away then you should be able to get a brand new Phantom.. but most times they want to see actual phantom for them to replace it..
Cheers

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj