Mavic Release Discussion

No physical spinning gyros. I didn't want people to assume there's a mechanical device spinning in the craft doing this work, that would be too heavy. DJI's gyros are more correctly labeled MEMS technology, which is part of the IMU in the Phantom, and the Mavic. These are electronic leveling devices that need calibrated, and the calibration data is kept in flash MEMory of the craft. I think DJI calls them Gyros to help people know it helps to level the craft. You can call them Gyros if you like, but when I think Gyro, I associate that with a mechanical device that spins, the original definition. But that's just me apparently.

Reactions: therons
Hands down..
you don't see people lining up for the Karma
nor did they for the P4 like this..
so why so many of us willing to pre order

cuz the P's are not all that..and M might be the ONE

No physical spinning gyros. I didn't want people to assume there's a mechanical device spinning in the craft doing this work, that would be too heavy. DJI's gyros are more correctly labeled MEMS technology, which is part of the IMU in the Phantom, and the Mavic. These are electronic leveling devices that need calibrated, and the calibration data is kept in flash MEMory of the craft. I think DJI calls them Gyros to help people know it helps to level the craft. You can call them Gyros if you like, but when I think Gyro, I associate that with a mechanical device that spins, the original definition. But that's just me apparently.

Imagine this in a drone!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Reactions: John Locke
I just bought a P4 less than a month ago. Even though I totally love my P4 and fly it everyday I still pre-ordered the Mavic. Now I'm hoping I can fit the Mavic and controller in the side pocket of my P4 backpack ;) naw but seriously I'm super excited and can't wait until my Mavic arrives on my front door. Definitely calling in sick from work that day!!! ;)

I just checked my order online from DJI.com and my shipping status says pending. Anyone else pending also?

A couple of issues still to be resolved. Does the Mavic allow video shooting un interrupted, without losing frames after about 9 min in 4K? The GoPro5 on the Karma, although it splits files, does not lose frames between splits.
A comparative video on YouTube between Phantom 4 and Mavica shows that the images and video from the Mavic are certainly not as sharp as the Phantom4.They are supposed to have the same sensor but not lenses.
The specs on the DJI Mavic page says the Mavic is capable of flying out to 13km but the controller connects out to 7km/US and 4km/Eu and there is a significant difference between the Us and European transmitter power resulting in inferior distance performance of European and Australian units.
Maximum service height 5000m but what about operating height.
I think I need both the Mavica, portability, distance, flight modes, flight time, video streaming but also need the Karma detachable gimbal, waterproof GoPro 5, include grip. I can see a use for both. On a camping trip the Karma has the ability to do ground and aerial footage with stabilisation but the Mavica has the ability to get great shots from a distance to reveal all and is smaller and lighter.

A couple of issues still to be resolved. Does the Mavic allow video shooting un interrupted, without losing frames after about 9 min in 4K? The GoPro5 on the Karma, although it splits files, does not lose frames between splits.
A comparative video on YouTube between Phantom 4 and Mavica shows that the images and video from the Mavic are certainly not as sharp as the Phantom4.They are supposed to have the same sensor but not lenses.
The specs on the DJI Mavic page says the Mavic is capable of flying out to 13km but the controller connects out to 7km/US and 4km/Eu and there is a significant difference between the Us and European transmitter power resulting in inferior distance performance of European and Australian units.
Maximum service height 5000m but what about operating height.
I think I need both the Mavica, portability, distance, flight modes, flight time, video streaming but also need the Karma detachable gimbal, waterproof GoPro 5, include grip. I can see a use for both. On a camping trip the Karma has the ability to do ground and aerial footage with stabilisation but the Mavica has the ability to get great shots from a distance to reveal all and is smaller and lighter.

Operating height is 500m from take off.
13km = the flight distance on 1 battery and not the communication connection range. Connection range is 7km.

The stabiliser is great but the karma isn't. The karma is just a flying stabiliser with folding arms and a gps and a wifi video transmitter.
The mavic on the other hand is decked out with goodies for automated functions.

Always used to be called piezo gyros when the ones for helicopters first came out.

I like the fact that is waterproof. I live near the Gulf of Mexico and everytime I fly my p3p on the coast I am fearful of taking a splash and probably damaging it because brackish water.

Sent from my SM-N920R7 using PhantomPilots mobile app

You can fly it in rain, but its not waterproof. waterresistant at best ;p

That is because they know sunshades do not work.

So when I use my sunshade on bright sunny days and can actually see my phone it has nothing to do with the sunshade? lol. I guess you would know better than me what I'm looking at. [emoji849]

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Interesting to read the opinions of many posters getting excited about the Mavic, opinions based on conjecture and "review" videos. In every video I've seen the Mavic is taking off or landing on concrete or well cropped grassland. Yes, its small size will be ideal for carrying across rough open moorland, as I'd be able to carry water and food in my backpack as I yomp miles across rough moorland. That is a problem for me at the moment with my P3. However I won't be buying one any time soon, at least not until I've seen firm evidence that it can be safely hand caught, something I have to do when flying my phantom up on Dartmoor

Why hand catch? quite simply because of the very rough terrain I fly over. I soon realised it was essential to do so and over the past 2 to 3 years I've always hand caught my P3A and my P2V+ before that. With the phantom it is very easy to hand catch, and it is much safer than trying to land it on the long grass ground cover/ stones and rocks that abound up on the moors. I've never encountered a problem in hand catching yet, Hover it just above head height, reach up and hold the undercarriage with one hand and power down.

With the minimal height between props and ground, landing the Mavic will be a high risk manoeuvre on rough terrain and it will be like landing a lawnmower and any hidden small stones in the long grass could do a lot of damage.

Yes,I'm hoping that I'll see firm evidence of safe Mavic hand catching but until I do, I'll carry on with my earlier phantoms and cut down on the food and drink!!

Reactions: Jayfdee
Yes,I'm hoping that I'll see firm evidence of safe Mavic hand catching but until I do, I'll carry on with my earlier phantoms and cut down on the food and drink!!

Did you not see starting at the 5:40 mark of the video just a few posts above????

I don't think anyone believed there was a mechanical gyro in the bird. But you said no gyros. I found this...An inertial measurement unit works by detecting the current rate of acceleration using one or more accelerometers, and detects changes in rotational attributes like pitch, roll and yaw using one or more gyroscopes. And some also include a magnetometer, mostly to assist calibration against orientation drift.

Also another article on the P4 said to have bird level at power up. When you do an IMU calibration, the bird needs to be level and undisturbed.
I always have my P1s level at power up.I have smooth level hovering. Now I can take off on unlevel ground but won't power it up that way. I don't know how unlevel it can be at power up and not affect the bird during flight.
This might be one reason so many complain about the bird flying tilted etc. Just throw on the ground, power up and fly. I'm not sure.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20