Litchi vs DJI Go App

I got Litchi for the fpv for my Phantom, DJI GO doesnt have, have got my phone in the VR goggles about $15, first flight around the garden was good even find it easier to fly like that no worries about the sun, Im trying another FPV program I found, no need for fatshark goggles receivers hdmi out modand all that lark

Reactions: Jeff watson
Hi guys! Does anyone know if Fatshark Dominator V3 will work using the Litchi app? I am not a fan of VR goggles since it lacks most of the information seen on FPV mode like radar and maps. Since I got the HDMI module installed on my controller, just uwondering if Fatshark will work with Litchi before I purchase one.

Last edited:
Thanks. We aren't supposed to fly over people, property, roads, National Parks, beyond VLOS, at night (it's really tough to see those bright lights at night), etc.. While I certainly appreciate the fatherly advice, there isn't much point in owning a Phantom if one is going to fly strictly by a ridiculously restrictive book. I'd try flying over Fangorn & hope for an exciting shot of an Ent on the move but no doubt I'd find myself in violation of some rule. May as well return to doing loops & split-S with my fixed-wings or maybe a nano-quad in the living room?

Hi,
The video is fantastic, really impressive, so we'll done. I have a reservation however for the future for us all. So many videos are posted showing the breaking of numerous laws. Everyday the footage we see posted shows that we as a group of enthusiasts are reckless and happy to demonstrate that we just break the law whenever it suits us. If we want to be able to keep our activity alive in the future we must be careful! Sorry! I know I sound like your Dad but I hope you can understand my point. Just a few rules are worth refreshing in your mind...overflight rules...closest approach to a person or structure.......must maintain visual contact with the UAV..etc.

Last edited:
Hi,
The video is fantastic, really impressive, so we'll done. I have a reservation however for the future for us all. So many videos are posted showing the breaking of numerous laws. Everyday the footage we see posted shows that we as a group of enthusiasts are reckless and happy to demonstrate that we just break the law whenever it suits us. If we want to be able to keep our activity alive in the future we must be careful! Sorry! I know I sound like your Dad but I hope you can understand my point. Just a few rules are worth refreshing in your mind...overflight rules...closest approach to a person or structure.......must maintain visual contact with the UAV..etc.
See post #39 above.:cool:

Reactions: Dirty Bird
Thanks. We aren't supposed to fly over people, property, roads, National Parks, beyond VLOS, at night (it's really tough to see those bright lights at night), etc.. While I certainly appreciate the fatherly advice, there isn't much point in owning a Phantom if one is going to fly strictly by a ridiculously restrictive book. I'd try flying over Fangorn & hope for an exciting shot of an Ent on the move but no doubt I'd find myself in violation of some rule. May as well return to doing loops & split-S with my fixed-wings or maybe a nano-quad in the living room?
Amen! :D Besides, for us hobbyists, they are only Guidelines, not Rules! :cool:

I only use Litchi for autonomous waypoint missions but, in over 200 complex, long-distance missions it has never failed.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Jaw drop...
71e0c2c18e76996997a0a5933c6f2e1f.jpg

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Dirty Bird
For those flying these long distance out of range missions what do you set the main cruising speed to? Do you attempt to change the speed between waypoints? I believe I read that if the bird is out of range the rest of the mission could/would continue at that speed.. Love to hear the experience of some of the veteran litchi users.

I'd like to slow down once at my final destination but if it stays at that speed it I might not make it back. Is there anyway to control/prevent this?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Speed depends on your mission length. My missions are usually in the 38,000-40,000' range so by necessity I run them at 30 mph. If your mission length is half that you can reduce the speed by half as well. I've never attempted to alter speed since it requires RC contact & I am usually out of range for a portion of my mission & don't want to risk getting stuck at a slow speed.

For those flying these long distance out of range missions what do you set the main cruising speed to? Do you attempt to change the speed between waypoints? I believe I read that if the bird is out of range the rest of the mission could/would continue at that speed.. Love to hear the experience of some of the veteran litchi users.

I'd like to slow down once at my final destination but if it stays at that speed it I might not make it back. Is there anyway to control/prevent this?

Thanks!

Reactions: GadgetGuy
I appreciate all the info. I was worried about auto takeoff because i'm not positive what the drone will do. Assuming my takeoff point isnt directly below waypoint 1, will the drone take off, ascend to the correct altitude and then proceed to waypoint 1? Or will the drone take the shortest path possible and fly the hypotenuse to get to waypoint 1? the reason I ask is because there may be obstacles in the way if the drone doesnt first ascend to the correct altitude.

Speed depends on your mission length. My missions are usually in the 38,000-40,000' range so by necessity I run them at 30 mph. If your mission length is half that you can reduce the speed by half as well. I've never attempted to alter speed since it requires RC contact & I am usually out of range for a portion of my mission & don't want to risk getting stuck at a slow speed.

The P4 handles these distances well on a regular basis? With what percentage are you landing at those distances? I have only flown 2 40,000' flights and was worried as heck about making it back and those were in ideal straight line conditions, nothing like your complicated Litchi missions.

I appreciate all the info. I was worried about auto takeoff because i'm not positive what the drone will do. Assuming my takeoff point isnt directly below waypoint 1, will the drone take off, ascend to the correct altitude and then proceed to waypoint 1? Or will the drone take the shortest path possible and fly the hypotenuse to get to waypoint 1? the reason I ask is because there may be obstacles in the way if the drone doesnt first ascend to the correct altitude.

Almost half of the information exchanged on these forums is wrong - so if I were you - no matter what answer you get here - I'd test it myself before I trusted it...! :)

Autopilot ascends first and then makes its way to Waypoint 1. I would assume that Litchi does too (but I'd verify before trusting it).'.

Just make sure that when you test it, you are in a somewhat open area so you can see whether it is rising vertically or traveling horizontally. Remember - at the first sign that something is going wrong - don't panic - just move the PAF switch from F to P (on the P3) to disconnect any 3rd party programs/missions and hover in place!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Yes the P4 handles 38-40K with ease. Ran the Baltimore Run yesterday & returned @ 36%. Winds were 3 mph. Note that winds have a large effect on how far you can go. The same mission with 10 mph winds has returned as low as 23%. The Baltimore Run is a busy mission with 75 waypoints, lots of yawing, & near constant altitude changes. With no wind flying straight & level I'm sure a P4 can do 45-50 K.

The P4 handles these distances well on a regular basis? With what percentage are you landing at those distances? I have only flown 2 40,000' flights and was worried as heck about making it back and those were in ideal straight line conditions, nothing like your complicated Litchi missions.

Reactions: Suhail78
Yes the P4 handles 38-40K with ease. Ran the Baltimore Run yesterday & returned @ 36%. Winds were 3 mph. Note that winds have a large effect on how far you can go. The same mission with 10 mph winds has returned as low as 23%. The Baltimore Run is a busy mission with 75 waypoints, lots of yawing, & near constant altitude changes. With no wind flying straight & level I'm sure a P4 can do 45-50 K.

Wow, impressive. I have downloaded Litchi but have not really explored or used it, only for a couple of Panos for which it worked well. My focus right now is photogrammetry and I am using Apps that automate image capture for 3D type processing. Watching your Litchi missions makes me want to get to just flying again though.

I don't know what Litchi does when starting a mission below the first wp alt. I do ascend above the wp before starting mission just to make sure something doesn't come between the two (if your alt setting at the wp is not in some tree tops)

I have Auto-Takeoff enabled for Litchi so I load & launch my missions from the ground with motors off. Once loaded the bird climbs straight up to the altitude of your first waypoint. It then flies at that altitude to the WP, turns towards the next WP (or whatever direction you have the craft set to face), then off she goes.

I don't know what Litchi does when starting a mission below the first wp alt. I do ascend above the wp before starting mission just to make sure something doesn't come between the two (if your alt setting at the wp is not in some tree tops)

That sounds reasonable, at times between my takeoff point and 1st wp there are obstructions between us at a higher alt, so why I set my higher alt before starting mission. I need to try the auto take off. There's a trust issue between me and all the drones I've crashed, so learning one area absolute (if that's possible) before trying next.

I'm not a Litchi user......

As for the 500m max limit between waypoints - I believe that is a value that is enforced by the DJI flight controller. Litchi probably doesn't notify you about it because they don't know until they attempt to upload it - whether or not the drone will accept it. DJI could change this limitation

Litchi mission hub calculates all distances between waypoints, it shows right on the screen. It would be easy for the app to reject distances more than 500M, if Litchi wanted to. Maybe someday. But if you simply check the distance shown when setting each waypoint, you can easily avoid problems.

GadgetGuy and I appear to differ on the legal standing here, but the "Special Rule for Model Aircraft" - which all hobby fliers for unmanned aircraft over .55lbs and under 55lbs fly under - requires VLOS, and that's NOT one of the "guidelines" that he likes to categorize it as. That's in the Public Law (and now 14 CFR Part 101). So since we are all "forum lawyers" whose opinions are equally worthless, you might want to read up on that or consult an attorney before relying on either of these interpretations.

Section 336: https://www.faa.gov/uas/programs_partnerships/uas_arctic/media/Sec_331_336_UAS.pdf

Almost half of the information exchanged on these forums is wrong - so if I were you - no matter what answer you get here - I'd test it myself before I trusted it...! :)
I think that is an insult to the many who come here and give well considered feedback and help to those who seek it. We are all hear to learn from each others experience, knowledge and failures. To say that half of that information is wrong, is well..... wrong. I spend a lot of time on this forum, and I have learned a lot and find the posts to be helpful. Yes some replies are wrong as you say, but it is the exception and not the rule.

I have Auto-Takeoff enabled for Litchi so I load & launch my missions from the ground with motors off. Once loaded the bird climbs straight up to the altitude of your first waypoint. It then flies at that altitude to the WP, turns towards the next WP (or whatever direction you have the craft set to face), then off she goes.

That's great info. Thanks DB!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic