Litchi vs DJI Go App

Reaction score
How safe is Litchi to compare to the DJI Go App?

Reactions: Suhail78
@ Dirty Bird do you have the DJI Go App and Litchi App installed on your device?

I only use Litchi for autonomous waypoint missions but, in over 200 complex, long-distance missions it has never failed.

Nice video, like it. I just have to start out with small missions at first if I use the app. Now can I have the DJI Go App installed on the same device as the Litchi. Is that possible.

Thanks. Yes you can install both but only run one at a time. Starting with small missions as you learn is a good plan.

Nice video, like it. I just have to start out with small missions at first if I use the app. Now can I have the DJI Go App installed on the same device as the Litchi. Is that possible.

I bought Litchi and tried it yesterday.....went without a hitch. One thing I wonder is sending it on its way and not seeing it as it takes the first turn out of sight.......am I breaking the FAA rule of not keeping the drone in plain view at all times?

Thanks. Yes that is a Litchi mission flown by my Phantom 4. A little over 38,000' total .issuing length.
Wow DirtBird, 200 missions with Litchi? So I wanted to ask you about P3P versus P4. I will get a compass error with my P3P about every 15th or 20th flight. Sometimes it doesn't last very long, 10 seconds then everything is OK again (I always recalibrate with these incidents). Other times it lasts a long time and I have to bring the craft back to home for re-calibration. The occasions are always local to my last compass calibration, and most of the time is on the 2nd or 3 flight in the same area on the same day. With my P4 I have never had a compass error, ever, after about 150 flights. The dual compass obviously works well. My question to you is, have you ever had an issue with an autonomous Litchi flight in your P3s? You mentioned you never had an issue. Do you ever get compass errors with Go? And never Litchi? Just curious.

I'm thinking if I run Litche on my P3P (I haven't done that yet), that I run a higher risk of a problem (compared to P4) if the compass goes wacky when it's out of range. So I only fly Litche with my P4. Have you had any anomalies related to the P3 compass, ever?

What do you suppose happens when Litchi gets a compass error when flying autonomous? Does the craft go into ATTI hover and abort the mission?

Reactions: Suhail78
Here's a question: Can i plan a flight path using Litchi, and control the rotation of the drone, and the gimbal manually while it autonomously flies the path i have plotted?

I've done around 250 flights with Litchi, probably half on P4 and half on P3P. A fair number of waypoint missions up to 12-13 minutes, many panoramas, POI, a few Follow mission and just flying too. I like it a lot. Here's a Follow Mode test that you can't do with the Go app (without going ridiculously high).

Besides these two apps, I regularly fly with Hivemapper and sometimes DroneDeploy as well.

How safe is Litchi to compare to the DJI Go App?

Litchi is safe and reliable as far as the software itself is concerned.

But it's an automation tool and will do what you tell it to do. You don't have to worry about Litchi failing - but you do have to be careful what you tell it to do.

One thing that people can easily get into trouble with are saved waypoint missions. If you create and save a waypoint mission - be sure that you always fly it from the same starting point. If you attempt to fly it from a new location and the absolute (sea level) elevation of the new location is different from the location you normally use - your altitudes will be wrong in your mission and you may find that you are too high and don't capture the images framed the way you expected or worse - that you are now flying too low to clear all the tree and power lines

I think - that for that reason - Litchi, Autopilot and other 3Rd party softwares that allow saving waypoint missions - should save the absolute altitude (above sea level) from the last place you flew the mission - and then if/when you attempt to run the mission again from a different location, the app should warn you and show you the difference in altitude between last and current - and maybe even offer to update he altitude on all your waypoints to make it safe!
(@autoflightlogic - please make this a feature request)

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Don't mean to hijack, but I have 2 Litchi questions and I want to break my habit of starting a new thread every time I think of a question to ask.

Quite often when I try to send my P4 on a Litchi mission I will get an error that says something to the effect of "Failed to upload mission." Sometimes I'll get that error many times even though I have full bars on my RC signal. Where it gets annoying is that I'll be wasting a lot of battery power (15% or so in some cases) trying to send my mission to my P4 while it hovers up in the air. Any idea what causes this or how to fix it?

Second of all, a few days ago I got a warning on Litchi that 2 of my waypoints were too far apart. It would have been nice if the mission hub told me about this while I was designing the mission rather than wasting my time getting my drone all set up to fly only to find out my mission wasn't valid. What is the maximum distance 2 waypoints can be apart?

Don't mean to hijack, but I have 2 Litchi questions and I want to break my habit of starting a new thread every time I think of a question to ask.

Quite often when I try to send my P4 on a Litchi mission I will get an error that says something to the effect of "Failed to upload mission." Sometimes I'll get that error many times even though I have full bars on my RC signal. Where it gets annoying is that I'll be wasting a lot of battery power (15% or so in some cases) trying to send my mission to my P4 while it hovers up in the air. Any idea what causes this or how to fix it?

Second of all, a few days ago I got a warning on Litchi that 2 of my waypoints were too far apart. It would have been nice if the mission hub told me about this while I was designing the mission rather than wasting my time getting my drone all set up to fly only to find out my mission wasn't valid. What is the maximum distance 2 waypoints can be apart?
Missions wont load if you are not in "P" mode.
Also , let the bird take off itself after you load/run the mission.
And I put in waypoints every 500M just to make sure I dont get that warning as well.

I'm not a Litchi user. I use AutoPilot and a few of the drone mapping programs but I've seen both of the errors you're asking about.

Re: the first one - failed uploads - if you keep retrying, does it eventually work? Or do you have to go into the mission, change something and/or re-save it before the upload will complete successfully? If it eventually completes, through simply retrying - I have no idea why. Perhaps the whole mission needs to be resent if there is any brief signal dropout? If that's the case - uploading the mission while you're drone is still very close to you may improve your connection - but I assume you've already tried that. Maybe someone else will have more/better insights.

As for the 500m max limit between waypoints - I believe that is a value that is enforced by the DJI flight controller. Litchi probably doesn't notify you about it because they don't know until they attempt to upload it - whether or not the drone will accept it. DJI could change this limitation with a firmware update. If they do so - Litchi will work with the new value immediately without requiring an update. If the designer UI was written to disallow waypoints >500m apart, then it would need to be updated before it would work if DJI someday released firmware that changes the 500m to 700m.

If it's important to you - you may want to check out Autopilot. They use their own custom written flight controller and are able to bypass some of DJI's rules that affect all the other apps. Their app lets you set your own maximums - however for this type of waypoint mission, you would need to ensure that the drone will not lose connection to the remote. If you need to design a waypoint mission that will take you out of range of the remote, Autopilot also has to use the DJI flight controller and so would also be limited by the 500m restriction. (I've encountered this error in DroneDeploy and Map Pilot - but AutoPilot worked fine! Here's a screenshot from the AutoPilot main settings which shows how you can enter your own maximum distances for flight...

f844e8f7239d176344f6fda5aeec06d0.jpg

5b2984daaeb2898bf98f3c5c951342c6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl