Litchi vs DJI Go App

To anyone wanting to know which is better I believe its a matter of personal preference. The Go App is by no means a training wheel program nor is the Litchi App. My suggestions to all is both have great features, one is free, the other one costs $20USD.....buy it and make your own decision. As I said in two other posts the Litchi app is far better for the P3...not so much for the P4.

Litchi, Autopilot and most - if not all 3rd party softwares for the Phantoms are designed to supplement DJI Go - not replace it. They add capabilities that don't exist in DJI Go or they add features and robustness to the baseline version of the feature that is provided by DJI Go.

The fact that you say Litchi is less useful for the Phantom 4 tells me that you haven't done any kind of deep dive on the features. You see that Litchi has Follow Mode and so does DJI Go and then you assume that the features are equivalent and that I'd DJI Go contains the feature - it's just as good as the Litchi version of the feature. Same with Waypoints no doubt. Nothing could be further from the truth. Where a feature exists in both Litchi and DJI Go - hands down, the feature is more robust, more capable and more well thought-out than the DJI Go equivalent.

Users should be choosing one of the other for doing ALL of their flying. As you said - DJI Go is free. We should all have it and there are capabilities in it don't exist in any of the third party softwares - for example., the IMU Calibration, Gimbal automatic self-alignment and some of the advanced camera settings. DJI Go should be part of everybody's tool-kit and it should be used when necessary.

When DJI wants to sell more drones by advertising a new capability, they have to provide a way to use that new capability - i.e. Waypoint Mode. They can't tell their customers that they must purchase a 3rd party app to use that feature - so they program in a very basic interface to that new capability. It's like a "reduced functionality free trial" version of what the feature should actually be. DJI knows that anybody serious about using that capability will be purchasing and using a far more feature rich version of the feature in Autopilot or Litchi.

And that's true for both the P3 and the P4.

Litchi and Autopilot are both great add-ons to your Phantom 3 or Phantom 4. No toolbox is complete without at least one of them - and many serious fliers/photographers own both and decide from job to job which one is appropriate for the job at hand.

I don't know of ANYONE that owns Litchi or Autopilot that would EVER choose to use DJI Go for a Follow or Waypoint mission.

If you still somehow disagree - please explain which features in DJI Go surpass its Litchi (or Autopilot) equivalent.

I disagree with the logic behind your recommendations. You've suggested that users should start with A, then progress to B and then finally to C - because of the difficulties associated with learning them. All users should familiarize themselves thoroughly with DJI Go. Beyond that, there is no "progression" through the other apps that should be followed. It depends entirely on the individual user and their particular use cases. I think you've fallen into the trap of assuming that everyone bought their phantoms for the same reasons that you did! For example, a real estate agent that only intends to take a couple aerial snapshots from 50' above a house - and perhaps a video Orbit of the home - could probably get away with using ONLY DJI Go and never looking at anything else. Another user that might want to do some action videography where the drone follows him riding a motorcycle up and down hills will quickly crash into the side of a hill if attempted with DJI Go - whereas Autopilot will handle it like a champ (and Litchi may also work). DJI Go does not handle elevation changes - so "follow" is pretty much only safe to use on a lake! Waypoint missions as well require more than just DJI Go - even though DJI Go advertises the capability! The choice between Litchi and Autopilot depends partly on what you want to focus the camera on. They both have great Waypoint engines (when compared to DJI Go) but Autopilot has far more options than Litchi does - which is great if you need any of those options - bit of you don't need them - Litchi is cheaper and a little easier to use. My point is that each users tool selection should be driven by what they need to accomplish - not which software is next easiest/next cheapest.

When trying to help out new people by giving advice in the future (and I hope you do) try to remember that not everyone uses their drone like you do - and either learn what is important to the user or provide advice appropriate to several different use cases...

Last edited:
Reactions: David Cooke
Totally agree . . . Only got Litche a few days ago and already I see the value of it's waypoint missions over GoApp . .many more useful features. Just the ability to take the time to properly pre-plan a mission before you involve the aircraft is a major improvement Also, getting to other functions like Compass Calibration, loading and saving mission or switching recording ON and OFF is just plain faster and easier. I'm going to be doing a lot of Litche flights and preplanned missions. Thanks for your analysis.

Me agree too kemo-saby, there are settings in go app not avail in litchi, once set, I switch back to litchi for my wp missions and the orbit mode is easier to use than go.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Flew a couple of Litchie missions this afternoon and went well. Still trying to understand the effect of POI and "interpolate" for gimbal and camera angles. . .careful when you leave it in clockwise to go from 90deg to 80deg it just goes all the way around . . Camera was all over the place even though I could tilt the gimbal along the way . . recharging now and going out for a SUNSET redo. Then see how accurate the flight path is and how accurately it replicates the video

Last edited:
I like to set the gimbal tilt to manual, that way you don't have to worry about setting a height at the poi. In dji go set gimbal speed about half and gimbal SmoothTrack about 21, gimbal tilt exp about 50, should give some smooth tilts on your poi's.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Thanks that helps . . not REALLY understanding ALL of the mode settings I flew several Litchi missions yesterday and got some odd behaviors. Just camera angles and "wobbling around" at POIs. I was planning to repeat the successful mission after sunset so I did one more after some minor adjustments . . . just just to feel confident . . . as the sun set and it ended up back home but as I tried to take control before the final end point it ignored my commands and flew straight though that end point and despite some panic at it not behaving I selected PAUSE and it stopped. But now I seemed to have no control either as it hovered . . UNPAUSE and it continued off in that uncommanded direction ignoring more now desperate joystick flicking . . .back on PAUSE I try to regroup . . what to do?
It was only 50-100ft away but any time I UN PAUSE it would happily just continue to move away . . Finally I RTH and it comes back and tries to auto land, again despite my interferring command from the controller. I am sure it's just my lack of knowledge of the Litchi command hierarchy . . . but that was not fun . . . so I aborted the AFTER SUNSET plans and went home with my "intact P4" . . Now reading the manual in more detail.

End the programmed flight at any time (as long as you have RC contact) by flipping the mode switch to another mode. Flip back to P-mode to continue normal flight.

Thanks that helps . . not REALLY understanding ALL of the mode settings I flew several Litchi missions yesterday and got some odd behaviors. Just camera angles and "wobbling around" at POIs. I was planning to repeat the successful mission after sunset so I did one more after some minor adjustments . . . just just to feel confident . . . as the sun set and it ended up back home but as I tried to take control before the final end point it ignored my commands and flew straight though that end point and despite some panic at it not behaving I selected PAUSE and it stopped. But now I seemed to have no control either as it hovered . . UNPAUSE and it continued off in that uncommanded direction ignoring more now desperate joystick flicking . . .back on PAUSE I try to regroup . . what to do?
It was only 50-100ft away but any time I UN PAUSE it would happily just continue to move away . . Finally I RTH and it comes back and tries to auto land, again despite my interferring command from the controller. I am sure it's just my lack of knowledge of the Litchi command hierarchy . . . but that was not fun . . . so I aborted the AFTER SUNSET plans and went home with my "intact P4" . . Now reading the manual in more detail.

End the programmed flight at any time (as long as you have RC contact) by flipping the mode switch to another mode. Flip back to P-mode to continue normal flight.

Yes thanks Dirty Bird . . . I did figure that out once I got home and slowed my heart rate down a notch . . would have been nice if I knew that minor detail at the time . . since there seemed to be no other screen option but let it go wandering off somewhere or leave it paused till it ran out of electrons. Finally I decided RTH was the last resort and it did come home but would still not allow me to intercept it and hand fly it. Doing a lot of READING today! Thanks for the note DB. . . and thanks for the inspiration on Litchi . .I am having fun.

Reactions: Dirty Bird

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4